1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Drive clutch failure at 550 hours.

Discussion in 'Full Size: 570, 900, 2013-2017' started by DieselFume, Oct 18, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

1. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Hey guys thought I'd do a quick update. Finally had time today to figure out what my clutch dragging issue was. It wasn't too bad to get a part - apart from having to use a three-quarter inch impact with a clutch removal tool to get the drive clutch to bust loose from the crank. Not long after that I had it on the bench and apart, all three buttons on the drive side were chewed out and egged out the holes on the spider. Also had one roller that was completely out and the other two were on their way. Once apart I also inspected the bushings on the outer sheave and they were okay but we're packed tight with dirt all the way around.

So sadly it's going to take a new clutch to remedy this problem and also on the driven clutch I had one roller with a flat spot in it, but at least I can get that part separately. It too also was full of dirt.

This was something I was concerned about having happen with the air Inlet for the clutch system in such a bad location.. although I was really hoping that I could open up all these machines clutches this fall refresh them with some new buttons and rollers and be good for another year. at least I could have with the 800. Now basically I'm looking at probably new clutches for all three none of which I have high confidence in getting warrantied.

I am going to submit the clutch to my dealer shortly along with the prop shaft that has a massive amount of slop on the spline shaft coming out of the transmission. And we'll see what happens from there. Curt mentioned a duraclutch in another post and I have thought about them but can't justify it. they are nearly the cost of 4 new clutches which will take me through the life of this machine. To my knowledge the life of the duraclutch isn't known yet. Especially with the dirt entry issues I'm having. I am highly considering at this point doing an air in that reroute on these models.

I was kind of feeling down about this while at my dealer , and then they told me how their shop had been recently full of 1000 with their clutch and rear differential recalls. Seems the new and improved drive clutch isn't holding up, and they reported 9 out of the 10 rear ends they went into had some gear lash way out of spec.

So compared to that my problems don't look too bad 20181018_212040.jpg
    20181018_213322.jpg

Attached Files:

Jungleman likes this.
  2. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

That's ugly! looks like the maintenance schedule will be different from the 800's. Friend of mine had to put a duraclutch on his tracked 900 and it did fail, can't recall exactly why at the moment but dealer had to do a lot of arguing to get them to replace it, and they did. I think it's a good product but I'm not a fan, maybe it's the way they push them on places like this, every time someone comes along who can't figure out how to drive a cvt and bitches about the jerky starts....well here's your $1300 fix...best thing since sliced bread.

Jungleman likes this.
  3. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

Change the air intake to behind the passenger seat inside withat the box filter from a snow machine. Did it to mine and it has much less dirt getting in there.

4. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Need to do something like that Jay- My problem is that both the engine and CVT draw through that system. If I do an inside the cab mount I'm thinking the intake noise from the engine could get really noisy! May have to snorkel-

5. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Don't get me wrong, if someone wanted to sell me a Duraclutch at maybe only double the price of a factory clutch, I'd be tempted, but I was thinking they were around $1500? Don't you have to use their secondary as well?

I am sure the duraclutch is a better product, but with as much dirt as I'm dealing with right now, I'm not convinced it will live a very much increased life.

What's kind of weird is aside from the belt hanging up when coming up on a stop sometimes, the clutch has otherwise not acted up much, and it's got to be one of the worst ones I've gone through.

Was thinking about it last night if they deny the warranty claim, I have a notion to use JB weld or epoxy on the damaged button pockets and see if it'll hold the buttons in place another few hundred hours. don't have much to lose! Not sure if JB weld, or epoxy will handle the heat the drive clutch produces though.

6. Ken

Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2013 Ranger XP 900 Sunset Red LE. 2009 Ranger 700 XP Sunset Red

Adam, I have had a Duraclutch on my old 2013 900 Ranger XP for over 12,000 trouble free miles and we do live in world of dust here in the Arizona desert. Like Joe mentioned we both moved our intakes inside the cab. Yes, we still get some dirt in the clutch area, but nothing like before. Every 100 hour service interval the CVT cover is removed and blown out real good. Don't know what Polaris Engineers had in mind when they placed the air intakes where they did for both the engine and CVT. Certainly a very poor design fault! As to the noise in the cab both Joe and I have found it not to be objectionable. I might add that my CVT belt ran 10,000 miles and I changed it out as a precaution, however, it was in very good condition and now used as a spare in case of a failure at some point.

On my 2018 General Polaris did put the air intakes up front and that has helped a lot with dust ingress issue!, But, they still left one intake on the side for the 2nd nary clutch (figure that one out ) which takes in a lot of dirt and dust. I haven't had the time to figure out how to deal with that yet.

7. Quaddin4real

Quaddin4real Jason SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2005 Polaris Ranger 700 xp efi

I have the Dura Clutch on my 05 Ranger 700xp, it has been flawless so far and I give it a beating in the mud every single ride. It cost me $1250.00 and came with the primary, secondary and and belt. I was dealing with Mitchel, who I believe is the owner of Dura Clutch and he was extremely helpful and easy to work with. And the photo attached is the reason why I had to replace the original. 20170423_195150.jpg

Seastacker, DieselFume and Ken like this.
  8. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

At the very lest you could an an in line filter of some sort to help cut the dust. The only problem with that is you need to take it out every once in a while to clean it too. Like Ken says, pull the clutch cover and blow the clutch out real often.

9. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Well, I put a new clutch in it while I'm waiting to get word back on warranty- This time the buttons on the drive side aren't going to be pushed out by dirt again- High temp silicone might have worked, but I felt a more permanent solution was in order- JB weld has a temp rating of 500-600 degrees- It should be tough enough to hold up to the drive clutch use.... I didn't epoxy the buttons on the other side, but they never cause a problem.

Granted I cant replace those buttons now without using a punch to drive the pin and button out, but I'm ok with that. At least I can get 1000 hours out of the clutch this way.

What's more interesting is that when I have time I'm going to try and use this with one of the old clutches with the damaged spider/button pockets. If the JB weld will fill the void and hold up, I can really re-coop some losses.

Still going to look into an air inlet re-locate setup.

20181023_5.JPG 20181023_6.JPG

Jungleman and Ken like this.
  10. Ken

Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2013 Ranger XP 900 Sunset Red LE. 2009 Ranger 700 XP Sunset Red

Adam, I like what you have done to the new clutch. I will be very interested what you come up with in re-routing the air inlet. Using the Polaris post relocate kit to the inside of the cab has help a lot on my old 900 Ranger XP in helping to slow the dirt ingress. Not perfect, but much better than the ROPS Post inlets.

11. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Yeah...no fixin that one.

Jungleman likes this.
  12. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

You need a quick release clutch cover for weekly maintenance/ blow those clutches out or something. Its amazing that amount of dirt that accumulates under that cover and in those clutches WITHOUT a poorly located cooling intake. Heck, even the snowmobile clutches used to get filthy and they were mostly open compared to the SXS's.

Jungleman likes this.
  13. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

So good news! Polaris is going to warranty my Drive clutch. No word yet on my propshaft.
    The secondary rollers were a no go, since polaris's warranty system treats each failed part as it's own separate claim. For example my drive clutch is one claim with a 50 dollar deductible, my prop shaft if covered will be under another claim which will be another 50 dollars out of pocket. The secondary rollers aren't even worth 50 bucks, so it's not worth claiming them. It seems polaris has found a way to hold onto an extra 50 bucks each time something fails...

So now I need to get the other two 570s in and see if they'll warranty those drive clutches too. I'm wondering if paying the extra couple hundred per machine for the "commercial and farm/ranch use" clause made this difference on this claim.

14. Jungleman

Jungleman SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2007 Polaris Ranger 700XP LE

Very interesting Adam, and filling egged out button pockets with JB . Really would like to see how that works out. Thanks !

15. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I would bet that that additional coverage on your extended made all the difference. That additional coverage likely allows coverage for that sort of wear and the extreme hours/ miles you put on your machines (When compared to 99% of the rest of us).