1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Drive train clunk 2017 ranger 900

Discussion in 'Ranger Nation' started by Mwaldo, May 4, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Mwaldo

Mwaldo Michael SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 700 6x6 2006

Only 200 miles on machine, no warranty,, clunking noise in gear increases with speed. Removed skid plate and the noise seems to come from rear diff. I can jack up rear and rotate wheels in opposite direction with lots of play and noise, any ides? Thanks

2. Cattleman0311

Cattleman0311 Justin SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2011 Polaris Ranger 800, 2013 Polaris Ranger 800, 2017 Polaris Ranger 900

Our 900 did something similar to that and it was the drive shaft. Dieselfume has a video on YouTube if you choose to do it yourself.

DieselFume likes this.
  3. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

As Justin said, driveshaft U joints were a noisey problem on them that make more noise with speed, but more of a "clang clang clang" noise.

Also on those they had a driveshaft between the trans and rear axles that could fail as well. Not sure if they had some sort of power divider or what to split the power between the two rear diffs.

If you don't find the problem there, I'd see if you can narrow down the noise to one of the differentials. Might have something going on in one of them.

4. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Any chance you can take a quick video so we can hear it?

Other than that I would be checking all shafts. This includes the drive shaft going up front as well as both cv shafts. They can break inside the boots and go unnoticed for a while. That sort of break would give a rhythmic noise. If that is ok, drop the transmission oil. Not a fool proof diagnostic method, but it can easily rule out major issues like big chunks of metal or water in the oil.

5. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Sorry, I was looking at the machine he had listed under his name as a ranger 700 6x6, and was ignoring the ranger 900 in his thread title!

Yeah, It's really sounding like a propshaft noise, especially if it gets worse when you engage the awd. But it could be a rear CV acting up as well, The CV's make more of a clicking sound, the driveshaft makes more of a clanging sound.

A friend of mine last winter was sure his transmission was going out, he took it to the dealer and they replaced his propshaft and a rear CV... so those type of noises can get awfully ominous.

Cattleman0311 likes this.