1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Engine Air Intake

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Jaybey, Nov 24, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

I have been fighting to keep the dust out of the air intake system forever. A couple of years ago I bought a snow filter for a snowmobile and installed it behind the seat, all it did was stop larger debris. I see a lot of the newer UTVs using Particle Seperators, a bit pricy. So I had to come up withing something else.
    I bought a K&N-1003RD-L washable air filter, and covered it with a pre filter wrap. Took a brief test run for breathability. It hit 45 MPH very quickly so until I take a trail ride in a couple of weeks I am cautiously declaring it a success. Here are a couple of pictures"
    K&N-1003RD-L Air Filter
    upload_2019-11-24_14-44-26.png
    K&N-1003RD-L with Pre-filter wrap
    upload_2019-11-24_14-45-43.png
    K&N-1003RD-L seat clearane
    upload_2019-11-24_14-46-39.png upload_2019-11-24_14-44-26.png upload_2019-11-24_14-45-43.png upload_2019-11-24_14-46-39.png

Rhoda Mule and Quaddin4real like this.
  2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

My machine already has two filters, one is right at air intake and another inside the airbox in front of intake manifold. The outer collects most of the crud, the inner rarely gets dirty. All mfgrs should consider having dual air filters, with all the dirt and dust we put them in.

3. Jaybey

Side X Side(s):

My Ranger came with just a 'Frogskin" screen on the OEM intake on the side of the machine which did next to nothing to stop dust from getting in to the engine air filter. Now I have the K&N-1003RD-L with a pre-filter wrap on it. On top of that the OEM location of the CVT air intake was on the opposite side midway up the frame right in the dust path from the front tire with no, none, nothing to filter dust or debris from entering the intake other than another piece of Frogskin. I disconnected the CVT intake from the frame location and put another piece of the course filter in the 2 inch opening to filter out debris. Both changes helped some but not enough in my mind.

This week I replaced the snow mobile box and filter with a K&N washable filter with the filter wrap. I needed to do something with the CVT intake so it was shortened to be right at the rubber flange that ducts the air to the clutch box. I put on a 2.5 inch pvc pipe with a goose neck and the Outerwear bag from the other filter for now. Both should receive less dust intake and the whole machine should run better.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  4. Jaybey

Side X Side(s):

Southern Arizona has been too wet to get a real dusty ride yet this year but I checked the primary engine air filter I put I at the last oil change about 4 or 5 rides on it now. The filter looked just like the day I put in in. I checked my K&N pre filter and it shows some dirt on the outer veins but nowhere near dirty enough to require washing. I think my change / modification has helped. Also the driver seat is much cooler since I relocated the clutch air intake too. All in all I think those mods were worth the effort and money.

CVT RELOCATION.jpg NEW AIR INTAKES.jpg CVT INTAKE OEM.jpg

5. Jaybey

Side X Side(s):

Here are pictures of my filters after four ride one of which was pretty dusty. The small smudge on the OEM filter was from my gloves. I think my idea has worked. I washed out the K&N for the first time today and it was pretty dirty. Ranger Filer w K&N Prefilter.jpg Ranger Filer w K&N Prefilter.jpg Ranger Filter.jpg Ranger Filter.jpg Ranger Filter.jpg

6. Jaybey

Side X Side(s):

April 2, 2020, we had another good ride abut 40 miles with lots of dust. I pulled the primary filter when we got back and it was as good on April 3, 2020 as it was three weeks ago. My K&N prefilter idea is working as I had theorized and wanted. No debris or small bits of trash and very, very little dust.

CFDTuc and Rhoda Mule like this.
  7. Jaybey

Side X Side(s):

Three of us went for a ride on Wednesday and it was indeed dusty. Today when I finally got to clean the Ranger I pulled the engine pre-fliter I installed in November. The screen cover had a little dirt on it, washed out very easily. The K&N filter was NASTY (see picture 1 & 2). Picture 3 is some of the debris that I knocked out onto the floorboard. And finally picture 4 is the OEM filter that has been in the buggy since November. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Seastacker likes this.
  8. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Very nice. Looks like that k&n pre filter is taking the brunt of the dust out. Glad it’s working well. Should save you some bucks on oem filters.

9. Jaybey

Side X Side(s):

Seven Razor, Can Am, and one Ranger made a 30 mile night ride last night. Needless to say since we haven't had any rain is 6 months it was DUSTY. I road drag on purpose. Today I gave the Ranger a good blow off and pulled the primary air filter still as clean as it was the last time. My K&N pre-filter system is working like a champ and it wasn't even caked up today.

10. Jaybey

Side X Side(s):

I finally got both the CVT and Engine air intake filtered with the use of K&B 1003L filters with prefilter bags. The engine filter is oiled but the CVT side is dry. In both cases I used a piece of PVC pipe as inserts.
    K&N_1003L_on_Engine_intake[1].jpg K&N_1003L_on_Engine_intake[1].jpg K&N_1003L_on_Engine_intake[1].jpg K&N_1003L_on_Engine_intake[1].jpg K&N1003L_on_CVT[1].jpg

11. Jaybey

Side X Side(s):

After a pretty dusty night ride on Friday, May 28, 2020, I pulled the filters off both the engine air intake and the clutch box today to check for dust inside the clutch. Blew air with the leaf blower thru the clutch box air intake while watching the clutch exhaust didn't see anything come out. THat meant I needed to pull the clutch box cover. PITA! WIth a witness watching I used the leave bK&N-1003RD-L filterlower on high and blew out the clutch. VERY LITTLE DUST. Conclusion: My modification is working exactly like I was hoping it would. I used the K&N-1003RD-L filter and appropriate size prefilter bag on both the engine and clutch air intake, Engine side is oiled and clutch side is dry.
    SUCCESS.

12. JOE YOUNT

JOE YOUNT joseph SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2015 POLARIS RANGER XP 900

I realized that my primary air intake pre-filter K&N 1003RD-L was not sitting in the hole straight, It wasn't leaking air but needed attention. I make a new hold down strap from a 1.25" spring steel band from a pallet. Put a little rubber padding between the band and the top of the filter.
    While I was working on that I realized the weak link between the filter and the intake hose was the rubber insert. I changed it to a 2" PVC pipe that I expanded the outside with Flexseal and electrical tape for a snug fit.

Attached Files:

13. JOE YOUNT

Side X Side(s):

Parts used in CVT & Engine air intake modifications:

K&N RG-1003RD-L Universal Clamp-On Air Filter which is according to K&N a High Performance, Premium, Replacement Engine Filter: Flange Diameter: 2.75 In, Filter Height: 4.5 In, Flange Length: 1 In, Shape: Round Tapered

2” PVC Pipe parts used for air intake: 90° elbow, straight coupling, 2” x 2” White PVC pipe.

The primary air intake hose is directly behind the driver’s seat and I used the straight coupling and a piece of the PVC pipe to go into the air intake hose and clamped it tight.

I cut the coupling down to about 1.5” length

The pipe fittings being a little larger fit inside the air filter throat snuggly then the band clamp is tightened.

Then the 2” PVC Pipe fits into the straight coupling and then into the air intake hose and the band clamp is tightened.

I used the 90° coupling on the CVT to put the filter under the back rest of the passenger seat.

I used a K&N Black Precharger Filter Wrap to go over the top of both filters held in place with large rubber bands.

I lucked out with the CVT filter it is supported with the elbow just fine, but the primary air filter behind the driver’s seat wants to work its way out due to vibration. To remedy that I fashioned a hold down clamp out of 1” steel banding. That is held in place with two small bolts. One side of the hold down is a nylock nut and the other is a wing nut to allow for easy removal for cleaning.

Attached Files:

14. JOE YOUNT

Side X Side(s):

October 8, 2020. This morning my good friend Ken and I did a lube, oil change, air filter change, and blew out the clutch box. WOW. Fluids were not discolored or real dirty, but the engine oil was fairly dark. Engine air filter was virtually clean other than the finger prints I got on it being clumsy, changed it any way been on for a 100 hours and numerous very dusty rides.
    We pulled the clutch box cover off to check the belt and clean it out. OPPS. There was very, very little dust in the clutch box. Ken determined that most of that was probably belt dust.
    Conclusion: With 8026 miles and 560.2 hours on my 2015 Polaris Ranger XP 900 my air intake mode works exactly like it thought it would.
    Happy as a pig in $#!....... MUD.