1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Engine Air Intake

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Jaybey, Nov 24, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

I have been fighting to keep the dust out of the air intake system forever. A couple of years ago I bought a snow filter for a snowmobile and installed it behind the seat, all it did was stop larger debris. I see a lot of the newer UTVs using Particle Seperators, a bit pricy. So I had to come up withing something else.
    I bought a K&N-1003RD-L washable air filter, and covered it with a pre filter wrap. Took a brief test run for breathability. It hit 45 MPH very quickly so until I take a trail ride in a couple of weeks I am cautiously declaring it a success. Here are a couple of pictures"
    K&N-1003RD-L Air Filter
    upload_2019-11-24_14-44-26.png
    K&N-1003RD-L with Pre-filter wrap
    upload_2019-11-24_14-45-43.png
    K&N-1003RD-L seat clearane
    upload_2019-11-24_14-46-39.png upload_2019-11-24_14-44-26.png upload_2019-11-24_14-45-43.png upload_2019-11-24_14-46-39.png

Rhoda Mule and Quaddin4real like this.
  2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

My machine already has two filters, one is right at air intake and another inside the airbox in front of intake manifold. The outer collects most of the crud, the inner rarely gets dirty. All mfgrs should consider having dual air filters, with all the dirt and dust we put them in.

3. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

My Ranger came with just a 'Frogskin" screen on the OEM intake on the side of the machine which did next to nothing to stop dust from getting in to the engine air filter. Now I have the K&N-1003RD-L with a pre-filter wrap on it. On top of that the OEM location of the CVT air intake was on the opposite side midway up the frame right in the dust path from the front tire with no, none, nothing to filter dust or debris from entering the intake other than another piece of Frogskin. I disconnected the CVT intake from the frame location and put another piece of the course filter in the 2 inch opening to filter out debris. Both changes helped some but not enough in my mind.

This week I replaced the snow mobile box and filter with a K&N washable filter with the filter wrap. I needed to do something with the CVT intake so it was shortened to be right at the rubber flange that ducts the air to the clutch box. I put on a 2.5 inch pvc pipe with a goose neck and the Outerwear bag from the other filter for now. Both should receive less dust intake and the whole machine should run better.

The photos of the CVT mod have been lost for now. But image the back half of a drain trap under the kitchen sink as an upside down “U” with a black bag over it.