1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Engine Oil & Filter

Discussion in 'Ranger Nation' started by WyoMud, Feb 25, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. WyoMud

WyoMud Mick SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2017 Polaris Ranger XP 1000 Crew Northstar

What engine oil & filter is everyone using on their Polaris Ranger? When we purchased ours, I got an oil change kit. After I use it I would like to change to something else. Was thinking about Mobile 1 15W-50, or maybe Amsoil.
    Only thing that keeps me from Amsoil is that I would have to have it shipped in. It doesn’t get very warm here in northern eastern Wyoming, so mainly concerned with the winter months.

One last thing, is there a search function on this forum. I can’t seem to find one.

2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Dont know what your factory specs call for but I use Rotella full syn 5w40 as do many others. Very popular off road oil.

3. rocksalot

rocksalot James Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

I also use Rotella T6.
    Since you live in a cold climate I would recommend staying with a 5w-XX oil. The low temp performance is most important there.

WyoMud likes this.
  4. WyoMud

Side X Side(s):

We’ve had temperatures up to -17 so far, and -30 with the wind chill. The coldest I’ve started it was -5, and no problem. Would love to park it in a heated garage, but no garage at all. Thinking about putting a heater in the radiator hose next to the engine. That’s what one of the guys here on the forum did.

5. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

The non polaris oil filter you need is a WIX 51356. Same one they've used from the polaris 700 all the way up to the 1000. It's a non polaris filter which means it'll cost you around $5 at the auto parts store, or you might be able to buy them through Rock Auto for about $3 and some change.

I buy mine buy the case.

As for oil, I've ran many. I've run Mobil, Rotella, Amsoil, and polaris. We went over this a little in the last thread, but in Modern emissions era diesel/gas engine oils, they take out alot of the zinc and phosphorus to meet emissions standards and to keep from poisoning catalytic converters. Off road oils/hot rod oils are made with more phosphorus/zinc to improve lubricity. This is most important for the cam/lifter life. There was some issues with guys having valvetrain issues in the old 700s/800s. Don't know if it was completely due to a lubrication issue of running a non off road oil, or something else, but we can speculate. Many guys run the Rotella and it works for them.

Right now I'm running Polairs 5w-50. Mainly because I can buy it for about $1 less per qt than Amsoil with my business discount though my dealer. So I have a 15 gallon barrel of it.

I'm doing 2 quart oil changes with my wix filter for about $21ish.

To each their own, but I kinda find it interesting when folks will spend $10s of thousands on a sxs, and then try to save a couple dollars per oil change by running an oil not designed for off road high rpm engine use.

I did see that mobil now makes a motor oil for powersports. I think it was a 0w-40 or a 5w-50. Think I saw it at wal mart. It would be one I would use if I didn't have the bulk polaris oil, and if it was affordable enough. I guess what I'm getting at is that it's as readily available as the T-6 is.

Seastacker and WyoMud like this.
  6. WyoMud

Side X Side(s):

I’ve been thinking about Mobile 1, or Amsoil. Really not sure what I’ll go with. I really want something that’s readily available. Not too sure if having Amsoil shipped in is the best way to go, and the prices are higher. Just want something that will work with no problems.

I’ve always liked Wix filters, and now that I have the number I’ll get some ordered.

Thanks for everyone’s help!

DieselFume likes this.
  7. rocksalot

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

Last time I looked Rotella T6 had more phosphorus/zinc than 5w-50 Mobil 1. The 15w-50 Mobil has better specs than the 5w. And my WalMart doesn't have the 5w-50 for some reason. They do have the 15w-50.

Adam, I remember back when you did the oil testing and the Rotella had better wear numbers than the Amsoil.
    I always wondered why you deleted those posts. Lol.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    WyoMud likes this.
  8. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Hey, I'd like to see the numbers on the T6 in comparison to the rest. I don't have a dog in the fight, so may the best oil win!

I did some oil testing awhile back between Texas Refinery, Amsoil, and Polaris I believe- I'm not sure why you think I deleted the old threads, if they're gone, I have no idea where they went. Let me to some digging to see if I can find them.

9. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

rocksalot likes this.
  10. rocksalot

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

Thanks, I thought it was gone.
    And I 'misremembered' the brand. It was PS4 instead of T-6.

I don't have a problem with Rotella or Mobil 1 or Amsoil. I have used Amsoil products but not their motor oil and I have used a couple of Mobil 1 oils. But so far I have always gone back to Rotella T-6 because I get the same results with either but my motors so far have always been quieter and smoother with the Rotella.

According to an ongoing years ol survey on a popular RZR forum the most popular oils are, in order of popularity, Polaris, Rotella T-6, Amsoil, and Mobil 1.

It has been a while back but I found the specs for Rotella from a test online and the Mobil 1 specs are on the Mobil site on a PDF but you have to dig to find it. But there is not really enough difference to make a difference I don't think. But if my local wm starts stocking the 5w-50 Mobil 1 I will be trying it.

And I don't remember ever reading about an oil related engine failure on a Polaris motor with any of these oils we are talking about.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  11. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

I have not heard of any modern engine valve train failures. due to oil anyway. Ones I'm thinking of we're back 8 to 12 years ago on the 700s and 800s, usually with guys running mobil 1 or another brand.. but that was a while ago. I should do another oil sample and try it with the T6 just for the heck of it

Jungleman likes this.
  12. rocksalot

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

That would be very interesting for a lot of people.

13. WyoMud

Side X Side(s):

That’s a lot of info for sure. I used Shell Rotello in my diesel trucks. Wish they made a 5W-50, but couldn’t find one.

I’ll see what the Polaris oil looks like when I do an oil change at 50 hours. If everything looks good, may just stick with it. We’ll see.

DieselFume likes this.
  14. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Oil choice seems to be a topic that many hold close to their heart. There is no one right answer other than an oil which meets the manufacturers specification and is of the proper weight.
    I have an Ams-oil preferred account and use their oils and filter. Shipping used to be an issue, but they have gotten a lot better about this. They now offer free shipping on orders over $75 and $8 shipping below this. I usually stock up my garage a couple times a year and take advantage of the free shipping offer. I have never done an oil analysis on the Polaris, but all of the Blackstone reports I have had run with Amsoil coming out of my Diesel trucks have been really good. With my preferred account the Ams ends up less than the OEM Polaris in most cases.

DieselFume and WyoMud like this.
  15. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

I would be curious to find out who actually makes the Polaris oil, I am quite sure they dont make there own. Any good quality brand name oil should be fine. Havent heard of an engine failure due to oil in many years! I know lots of people that use wally world oils, in my area they are made by valvoline oil co, used them in my autos for many years with no issues. I dont think any reputable mfgr makes a bad motor oil, just choose the application wisely!

16. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

alyaz likes this.
  17. WyoMud

Side X Side(s):

From what I could find on the internet, it’s made by a company out of Minnesota called Lube-Tech, or Lubetech.

rocksalot likes this.
  18. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

That company has a good name in marine lubrication, been around for years, but still not sure they refine there own oils

19. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Isn't lube-tech Walmart's name brand or am I thinking of something else?

20. rocksalot

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

Walmart is SuperTech.
    Lube-Tech is a blender like most everyone else except a very few major manufacturers that supply the base products for all the other blenders.
    Lube-Tech supplies products for lots of different major retailers for lots of different uses plus they sell their own branded products.

Private Label Lubricants | Custom Motor Oil | Lube-Tech Custom Brands

WyoMud and DieselFume like this.