1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Engine Oil & Filter

Discussion in 'Ranger Nation' started by WyoMud, Feb 25, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Studies walmart oils for years, always exceeded mfgr specs and never anything negative. If they made a 5w40 without the friction modifiers I would use there oil in my toys.

2. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Probably like gasoline, a taner pulls in and fills with whatever octane fuel they want then add a 5 gallon container or special sauce to create BP or Shell or whatever brand of fuel they wish to sell. 5 gallons or less of aditive added to an entire tanker truck of gas makes it a certain brand. I have a big refinery a few miles from me and am friends with many that work there. All refineries make gasoline the same it is just the additive that makes the brand name. Probably similiar with motor oil..

Seastacker and WyoMud like this.
  3. WyoMud

WyoMud Mick SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2017 Polaris Ranger XP 1000 Crew Northstar

One more question guys! How often are you doing your oil changes? The manual shows every 100 hours.

We purchased it used on Feb 13 with 1413 miles. We’ve put about 460 miles on it so far. Oil looks as clean as the day we purchased it. Looks like it hasn’t used a drop of oil. I was thinking about going up to 75 hours, then doing an oil change.

What do you guys think?

4. rocksalot

rocksalot James Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

Using Rotella or Mobil 1 start looking at mine around the 75 hour mark and I use a non scientific dirtiness and smell test on it and if I don't like the smell or looks I change it.

DieselFume likes this.
  5. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

So the manual says 100 hours, unless being used under severe conditions. Which it also States is anything that is off of a paved Road, if you drive your Ranger slow or if you drive it Ranger fast. According to them it's almost impossible to drive your Ranger without being under severe conditions. I don't remember whether or not they give a specific hour for service under that guideline, my dealer swears that I should be running 50 to 60 hour service intervals, but I think that was especially true with the old 700 and 800 engines that were quite a lot dirtier. I run 70 to 75 hour intervals on our 570s and the oil comes out looking pretty good. The only difference is during short trips during the winter time the oil will get dirtier faster and thinner faster because the engine doesn't always get up the operating temperature and burn off of the fuel dilution and water condensation. During those conditions I would consider changing it a little earlier

alyaz and WyoMud like this.
  6. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

I change once per year or more often if the oil gets dirty. At once per year the oil is normally still clear. I use rotella t6 full syn.

WyoMud likes this.
  7. alyaz

alyaz Al SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2011 Polaris Ranger 500EFI

Yes, I really don’t think you can go wrong with any good quality oil with the right specs. I use Rotella T6, largely because I use it in all my gas and diesel engines - and ordering 5 gallons at a time just makes sense to me. I tend to order Amsoil for all the other lubes that I need and find their shipping charges to be very fair - and it is just easy. I always use Wix or Napa Gold filters...

8. stainlessman

stainlessman SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2014 Polaris Ranger 900xp

I think the WixSP filter is made specifically for synthetic oil.

9. alyaz

alyaz Al SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2011 Polaris Ranger 500EFI

Are you referring to the Wix XP line? Not claiming to be right but what I gleaned from speaking to a rep a while back was that the XP series oil filter is their 'heavy duty’ line. I asked him about the dino vs synthetic oil application and he said all oil filters work for both. He said where people get confused is that they hear ‘synthetic medium’ and then believe that those are for synthetic oils. Even Wix is playing the ’new and improved’ game. Fwiw. :)

10. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

The Wix XP line is actually designed for extended drain intervals. I too was thinking it was a heavy duty filter, but after talking to one of the parts guys that sells Wix he said their rep told them that the Wix XP line actually does not filter as well as a regular Wix/ napa gold. They do this so that the filter will not plug up when running longer oil intervals.

So I just run the regular 51356 filter

alyaz likes this.