1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Exceeding max towing limits

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by dcbullington, Jul 10, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. dcbullington

dcbullington Dave SXS Nation Rookie

Looking at a 2012 Gator XUV 550 s4 and will need to be able to launch and recover my boat. The max towing rating is 1100 lbs and my boat is around 1500 lbs. I won't need to tow it far (about a mile) and I won't be launching that often (maybe 12 times a year).

Questions: Will the Gator be able to handle the boat?
    If so will I damage it?
    Are there any aftermarket upgrades like a heavy duty clutch that can be added to increase the towing capacity?

Thanks for any info!

Dave

2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Towing rates are based on level ground, flat towing...getting a boat up and down a ramp would put an extra load on the machine. Then towing a mile each way...smooth road or rough? Any way you look at it, it will be hard on the machine and probably cause short life on the cvt belt. My 450i is rated for 1200lbs and I do use it to spot my enclosed trailer on my property which weighs 1400 lbs. I only go about 150yds and use low range and about 10 mph or less. I am cheating 200 lbs but your cheating 400 lbs....big gamble!

3. FloridaAl

FloridaAl Alec SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 900XP; (2011 Browning Ranger 800EPS, SOLD; 2005 Ranger 500, SOLD.)

I'm driving my 2013 Ranger 900XP currently. I've abused it occasionally, like pulling a 4', two row disc harrow around a remote food plot. I use 4WD and go just fast enough to get a firm belt connection. It does wear the drive belts, but I do this rather infrequently and decided I'd rather buy belts and accept the risk of damage than buy another something for such limited use.
    If it was me, (as I've done,) I'd try it once and then decide. It could be you won't be able to get up the ramp. If so, question obviously answered. But it may go smoothly and relatively effortlessly. Yes, it is outside the specifications envelope, and does involve some risk of damage, but, in my estimation, small enough to give it one attempt and then judge.
    Just my $.02.
    Good luck and best wishes regardless.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.