1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Exhaust

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by LVDAWG, Mar 13, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. LVDAWG

LVDAWG Jimmy SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2019 turbo s

Anyone running dual exhaust on their machine??? Thinking about Gibson..... any input is helpful

2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I've been thinking about a slip on as well. I want a little better sound without the extra noise with my General. As I get older I like the exhaust note from a nice exhaust system, but can do without disrespectful levels of extra noise.

Its funny timing wise you bring this up now, I actually got with Terry Gilomen last night to be sure it was compatible with his tune. It is and he said it will compliment it nicely.

Gibson makes nice stuff, but I have had personal experience with MBRP. They are big into snowmobiles and also make some great sounding truck systems as well. They have a very strong dedicated power sports division and put a lot of r&d into their systems to ensure performance and a perfect fit. I have been looking at their Power Tech 4 system for my General. It is a double stack design. It looks to be exceptional quality and is only slightly louder than stock. It is actually with in the Michigan DNR limit of 96db....slightly louder than stock, but not much. I am waiting to ensure I don't owe the tax man this year before I pull the trigger on a couple big ticket items including this. :eek::D

MSRP is a little spendy, but they can be had for less. On track with most of these high performance, high quality systems.

2016-2019 RZR XP 1000 Turbo Slip-on system Dual Stack Performance Muffler - MBRP Powersports

upload_2019-3-13_8-13-27.png

kscfire likes this.
  3. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Many towns have a strict 85db limit for anything. When they stop you for a test, they require you to hammer the throttle good. I would be worried at 96db

4. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

If that is the case, the stock machine would fail. The aftermarket (MPRP) is only 4-5 over stock which puts stock around 90-ish....

Clearly this can vary by state, but the OEMs typically build to comply to universally acceptable noise levels. Something else to note...be sure they have USFS approved spark arrestors! We don't want to go burning down the forest! Most aftermarkets do, at least the ones I have looked at.

Here is the section of the Michigan ORV handbook on this:

upload_2019-3-13_12-36-38.png

I also looked up this SAE test they refer to. It is pretty detailed, but the basics: 20" away from the exhaust. Ambient noise cant be in excess of 10db. Rev the machine to half its maximum rated RPM (they have a chart for this). This is the reading they take.
    I did look down on the chart and the link I used was last updated in 2011, but pretty much all sxs's up to that point were in the 3200 RPM range for this test. This may be closer to 4000 by now with some of the higher reving engines.

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/programs/fire/spark_arrester_guides/_assets/OHV209-308Blue.pdf

5. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Good to know, I feel safer in Michigan. Many small towns in Ohio can be real "Pr...ks. on exhaust noise. While the sherrif doesnt bother me one bit, they go to great lengths to chase down those with loud exhaust no matter what type of vehicle!