1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Gated shifter 570 full size. Ideas on how to fab/build?

Discussion in 'Ranger Nation' started by DieselFume, Mar 29, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

So chacing cows so far this spring as really brought out a large flaw in the Ranger 570 full size lineup. No gated shifter available.

Which means on quick high to reverse shifts, one can end up not completely engaged into reverse, which sometimes will jump out grinding the cogs, or if still slightly rolling forward a shift all the way to park can really be a shock to the transmission... My dealer says they are seeing reverse chains being broken from this already and then the chain balls up and gets blown through the bottom of the case causing a massive repair bill.

Part of this problem is that polaris does not use the entire sweep of the shifter between park and high. Only maybe 75-80%

In this picture you can see where reverse is, and park is about 1 inch below it. leaving another 1.5 inches or so of travel that is not being used... If that could be used it would be much easier to "find" each gear and would give more positive feedback to the driver of where he/she is in the gear range.
    20180329_2.JPG

Way back when I jimmied a sportsman transmission into a 700 ranger that had the park feature. I utilized it just as on these 570s except I used the entire range and it made it much more functional. (wonder where polaris got the idea to put park into these? :rolleyes: Haven't seen any royalty checks yet. lol

20180329_5.JPG 20180329_6.JPG

Anyway, back to how to remedy the problem at hand.

Not sure if I should be looking at trying to make some linkage that would mechanically stop the shifter from going past reverse unless manually sliding over a lock to engage park? Also unsure on whether to go behind the dash to make it happen or make something to mount on the outside plastic that would physically hit the shifter rod. That option definitely wouldn't be as pretty.

I'd like to not butcher it up too bad since these machines have warranty and would like to be able to "un-do" any mods in case of a trip to the dealer.

Does anyone know if the 900 style shifter is similar to these? wondering if I could get a gated 900 unit to fit into these 570s?

A very good option I think might be buying a new transmission shift linkage lever (where the cable hooks on) and modifying it to be lengthened for a longer throw and more travel.

Still in the brain storming mode, but feeling the itch to grind/cut/weld something. :D

Attached Files:

2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

This happens to me a lot when I am back and forth plowing. I really have to make sure I am in gear (usually reverse) before I go (If ya cant find em, grind em, lol).
    I was looking at the gated shifter that Po offers for other machines and it looks like it primarily has reverse stop. It appears it is just a simple piece of metal at the bottom. I think the hardest part would be getting the shop in the correct place considering the slop that is typically in Polaris shift mechanisms.

upload_2018-3-30_7-52-5.png

3. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

If I remember right when I priced a gate got my 900 it wasn't to expensive, might be a good place to start.

4. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Looks like they are $100 msrp, but when I put the 570 full into polaris’s Accessories site it said it won’t fit. Maybe it would be easy to mod it to fit versus fabbing it from scratch.

5. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Kindof what I'm wondering as well, I guess if it doesn't work I'm not out too much, but could save ALOT of fabbing and time lost.

6. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

The more I look at it, the more I think you should start with the oem one. It also has the extra pivot point and spring to go around the gate and into park too. Seems like there would be less fab to make that one work than starting from scratch.

7. stezz22

stezz22 Seth SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Polaris Ranger 570

Did either of you buy and try to install the gated shifter for the 900 model on the 570? I was looking into the same thing and wondering if it would work on my PR 570 FS.