1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

GPS question?

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by 1911chris, Apr 7, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. 1911chris

1911chris Chris SXS Nation Rookie

I see guys running Lowrance GPS units in their cars.
    My question is what units is everyone running and what mapping cards are they using ?
    I use Lowrance in my bass boat so I am familiar with it.
    Any help would be great thanks.

Rhoda Mule likes this.
  2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

I use Garmin with VV Mapping but I only run in the midwest area. Use Polais ride command on my phone as a backup

3. rocksalot

rocksalot James Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

Rhoda Mule likes this.
  4. Curt

Curt Administrator

I use a Garmin car gps with VV Mapping, but I use it in Michigan, Tennessee, and West Virginia.

5. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Here is a thread I did a while back with my Garmin GPS (auto), RAM mounts and water resistant box. It works well. I am not at all good at manipulating the maps at all yet.

New GPS set up | Side X Side Nation

I have not had a chance to use it, but it sounds like some are starting to use the Polaris Ride Command app. If this works well, I may just get a waterproof case for my phone and run that.

6. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

Man I like this! Can you show some pics? How hard was it to install? How do you mount the unit. Yes I want to follow in your foot steps. Thanks RM

7. rocksalot

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

I put bucket seats and a console in my 900 Ranger and I just mounted the GPS to the front of the console and rotated it so I could read it at a glance.
    I wired it straight to the battery through a fuse holder so I can leave it on continuously when I am riding.
    I wired it through a plug so I can remove it and the console and change the seats to the bench in about 10 minutes. The console will also sit on the bench seat.
    The mapping software comes on an SD card just like Hotmaps or C Maps and just plugs in the slot. Then you set it to use Lowrance mapping on the menu.
    It is easy to use and works really well. The Lowrance menu's are fairly intuitive but there are lots of them so it takes a while to learn that if you haven't used one before. The antenna is built in and it picks up fine where it sits.
    I had this in my 800 Ranger and I had it mounted on the dash in front of the steering wheel.

It looks like I can't upload an image from my computer to this site.

Rhoda Mule likes this.
  8. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

Thank you very much. RM

rocksalot likes this.
  9. 8501parker

8501parker Damian SXS Nation Rookie

In my R/L I use chart systems for vessels for nearly 20 years with experience from full ECIDS to run of the mill TomTom. By far and away the most cost efficient, easy to use, reliable and if you get the right model waterproof is Garmin. I owned at one point a SeaDoo ski and mounted a 176c color plotter on the dry storage box just aft of the handle bars, and it never failed.

10. DogRunner2

DogRunner2 Brian SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2016 RZR 900s

I use my phone on a ram mount attached to the roll bar against the roof.Orux maps with Bob T's maps for West Virginia and Virginia and Back country navigator pro or Ride command for everywhere else.

11. rocksalot

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

Yes ^^^
    I use an an extra Samsung Galaxy 4 android phone with Back Country Navigator Pro on my Ace and it works really well.
    There are several mapping options.
    You can download maps off of the internet without having it hooked to phone service.