1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Hatfield-McCoy directions

Discussion in 'Southeast Region Riding Area Information' started by Nighthawk, Feb 9, 2020.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

1. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Keith SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris 1000 ranger

I am looking for someone who drove from ohio area down to ashland resort to ride trails. Their website says take exit 1 on interstate 77 to truck route 52. I will be driving 34 foot motor home with trailer on back. Going all they way to exit one seems a long way out of my way. It looks like I can catch route 19 to 11 almost all the way to Ashland. What I am concerned about are these routes back roads. Where a large rig shouldn’t be. Narrow roads or low bridges?

2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I went down from Michigan and followed their directions. You should do the same. I did not verify, but google maps and others will take you in on mountain roads that are super narrow and have switchbacks. The route they took us in on were all main, paved roads. The access road to Ashland is what I consider a lane and a half wide. Go slow and pay attention for oncoming traffic. It is paved and smooth, just a bit on the narrow side. Being from Michigan it took me a minute to get used to the mountain driving a bit....a few long grades with stone faces close to the shoulders.
    With all that said, there are some BIG rigs that get in there with no major issue. The only place I would say to really be aware of (other than paying attention in general and using the right gear up and down the grades) is after you make the hard right turn onto the road that leads up to the resort, there are a set of rail road tracks that are on the tall side....so go over slow and choose your track. I hauled my bumper pull toy hauler over with no issue (as did many others), but I have also heard of people ripping stabilizer jacks and dump plumbing off too.

Enjoy the trip, it is a GREAT area to ride. Very enjoyable.

3. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Keith SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris 1000 ranger

Thanks I was thinking the back roads would be tight. If I was in truck and trailer I would just take back roads. At 7 mpg in rv. Extra 100 miles is extra $50. Big toys big bucks. I may just do truck the first time down there and rent a cabin or room

4. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

My MH gets around 9mpg, but..I knew that when I bought it and we live with it. We have had enough dirty motels, lost reservations and bed bugs. With the cost of motel rooms it might just pay for your gas. We enjoy the ride, stopping when we want and have never not been able to find a place to stay. We are fully self contained and can easily go for 3-4 days with no hookups.

Seastacker likes this.
  5. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I will admit I did not try and take the shortest route, but those mountain roads are a whole different game down there. Some of these paths they call "roads" are dicey on a good day. I would definitely take the long way around, no question. The cost of 100 miles worth of fuel is well worth it versus possible RV/ truck damage or just being in a situation that is tough to get out of. Have fun down there. We are doing Tennessee this year, but I hope to get back to H&M soon.