1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Head Studs

Discussion in 'Prowler Nation' started by Richard Davidson, Dec 3, 2016.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Richard Davidson

Richard Davidson RD SXS Nation Insanity

Side X Side(s):

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 XTX

I had a local machine shop make up some Metric Studs for my Arctic Cat 700 motor. The cost of the one time use bolts moved me in this direction! At 20 dollars plus per bolt, and one time use adds up quickly! I contacted ARP to see if they had anything in their inventory that fit my needs, and they referred me to KMS Performance out of Phoenix AZ. They do have stud kits available for the 550/650/700 Arctic Cat motors! I build a lot of AC motors, and have used studs in most builds. I'll post pictures of the kit this week! Also contacted them regarding a turbo kit!

DieselFume likes this.
  2. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Glad you found some studs!

Turbo kit? Those front wheels aren't ever gonna be on the ground!

3. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Man RD, you are….studly, lol. I know, horrible joke. ;):confused:

Cant wait to see the kit. Happy you found someone that makes them!

Richard Davidson likes this.
  4. Richard Davidson

Side X Side(s):

Just an old hot rodder at heart! Play, play, play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Next thing ya know I'm gonna see him on an episode of Street Outlaws.!

Seastacker and Richard Davidson like this.
  6. Richard Davidson

Side X Side(s):

Yup, just me and Farm Truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

DieselFume and Seastacker like this.
  7. Richard Davidson

Side X Side(s):

Follow up on KMS! They have stud kits available for most motors. I know the AC factory head bolts are a one time use, and are expensive. Not sure of other brands, but if they are a one time use, studs may be the answer.

8. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Did you try Fastenal or maybe MSC or Mcmaster Carr? What's the dimensions?

9. Richard Davidson

Side X Side(s):

10mm studs with 10X1.25 threads on both ends (30mm of threads) and 230mm long. I looked at Fastenal, and McMaster/Carr. Also checked specialty metric shops. I could get them special made, but the minimum order was out of sight! I finally found ARP studs at KMS! Also after talking to them I decided to drill the cylinder, and head bolt hole that is the oil passage larger than stock to allow the use of a full 10mm stud. Took the diameter of the reduced stud, found the area of it, then found the area of the factory bolt hole, subtracted the stud number from that and that gave me the area needed. Got the area of a 10mm stud, and enlarged the bolt hole until I had the same result! No more reduced stud needed! I was worried about the water jacket, but after doing the math, the enlarged hole is not that much larger!

10. Curt

Curt Administrator

Turbo kit??? You may find the point where the engine outpaces the suspension.........:eek::confused::):D

Richard Davidson and DieselFume like this.
  11. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

I thought that was normal? :D

12. Richard Davidson

Side X Side(s):

While I really like the idea of turbos, and superchargers as they offer gobs of power my Prowler just ain't up to them! Just need to put the Prowler body on a 1000 RZR and call it good to go! LOL

13. Curt

Curt Administrator

Sounds like you just described a General or a Commander..........:D

Seastacker likes this.
  14. Richard Davidson

Side X Side(s):

Just got done pre-lubing my motor! Found a 12 volt (5 amp) oil extraction pump on ebay! Figured what the hell it may work for a pre-luber! I replaced all of my oil lines so I used the line going to the oil cooler for the discharge line out of the pump. I capped the port at the filter so the oil system would pressurize. After a couple of minutes I started seeing oil in the top end, another couple of minutes and I started seeing oil out of the engine sump! Ready to fire! Supposed to warm up on Monday/Tuesday so I'll wait until then! Just too cold to leave the garage door open while I fire up the Prowler! Also replaced my coolant lines with Silicon Hose! Pretty nice stuff to work with, good for 75 psi, and temps 350 F plus!

Attached Files:

Seastacker likes this.
  15. Richard Davidson

Side X Side(s):

Couple of years ago I wiped a cam out from lack of lubrication! First use of studs restricted the oil passage to the top end! Just a head up my ass moment! LOL Since then I've use either a stock head bolt, or a reduced shank stud in the oil passage bolt hole. When I upgraded to ARP studs, I decided to enlarge the oil passage bolt hole to enable a full shank stud. I now have great oil supply to the top end!

16. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

This is very true. I have seen what you did to that Prowler in person and its impressive! I would love to see what you could do to a 100hp stock machine like the General. Next post would be about custom wheelie bars and parachutes!

17. Richard Davidson

Side X Side(s):

Looking for a 2009/10 Prowler XTZ to play with. They are starting to fall in price. I'd rather hot rod one than buy new (more about budget than other factors! LOL). So many premiere machines available now! The General rates very high on my list1

18. GaryL

GaryL Gary Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900 Crew

I love it when you mechanics get to talking. I understand about every third word, but I read it all anyway.

19. Richard Davidson

Side X Side(s):

Yes indeed, Gary is the man!

20. Richard Davidson

Side X Side(s):

This is somewhat related to the Polaris 700/800/900 oil pressure! Sometimes past experience clouds judgement LOL I kept trying to find ways to increase my Prowlers oil pressure! I ran a lot of race motors in my childhood, and oil pressure was my friend! Now after playing with the Prowler I finally got my head out of my ass! 700 Prowlers only develop 10-20 psi at 2,500 rpm! When I first put studs in my motor, the oil pressure did indeed rise! I thought that was from my keen observation! I redid my motor this past fall, and used a reduced shank stud in the passage that passes oil to the top end! I've been going all through my reassembly steps looking for something that could explain 5 psi oil at idle! Finally researched the manual, and Prowlers that have high oil pressure have a blocked oil passage, or incorrect filter! The Prowler uses very little oil for the top end needs 10 psi is plenty. Over/high pressure on the 700 is a no no! The oil pump also provides oil to the wet clutch housing, and high pressure there will lead to a clutch seal leaking! Ask me how I know! Sometimes us old folks need to reboot to make sane observations! Don't ever ask us for directions! LMAO!