1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

high mileage exhaust header breaking

Discussion in 'Full Size: 570, 900, 2013-2017' started by Monty, Oct 16, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Monty

Monty Monty SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2013 ranger 900 xp full cab tip out windshield electric window doors aftermarket heater
    2005 arctic cat 500 4 wheeler

thanks for the offer I have a secondary coming from dirty dawg upgrade from stock, hope I made right choice,

2. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Don't think you'll be dissapointed with the D.D. Clutch, but what Ken's asking for those two clutches is awfully cheap insurance!

3. Monty

Side X Side(s):

2013 ranger 900 xp full cab tip out windshield electric window doors aftermarket heater

well time for a update not so good header has broke again, now at 1827 hours 25706 miles. What really is most aggravating have done what Polaris techs have said to do but still not fixed at my $$$. If they want to experiment they should use their own money like I have to on the farm when I try something unknown -new. Done venting not shure what to do now but may be my last Polaris after 5 of them, with good maintenance seems like they should last better for their cost don't know if any others are bettor. Local dealer also sells Kawasaki mules mech says all they seem to do to them change oil back out the door.

4. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Sorry to hear about the bad luck-

I've been where you are and it's really frustrating to say the least. There's been times on our ranch where I've sworn I would never buy another polaris product, but here I am today with 3 ranger FS 570s and 1 old 800 still in the fleet.

I came very close to buying a Mule FX, and it would still most likely be my #2 pick.

My mechanic is not telling me the same thing yours is. He's done 3 transmissions on them to date so far, he said they seem to have issues on some pushing out the crank oil seal. He said servicing them is terrible.. A heater install alone on them he said is around a 12 hour job vs about 3 hours on a polaris.

Their cabs are not as sound or at tight as a polaris cab either, and that makes a difference when youre in them all day.

I do think the mule has a cushier suspension, is built tougher, and is definitely heavier, but I wouldn't say the life you've gotten out of yours is bad.

I'd like to tell you there's a perfect machine out there, but there isn't. Not one that I've found yet. Biggest issue is that MFG's aren't building them for us, they're building them for the powersports crowd who trades every 2-3 years and is concerned with looks, performance, and tire size.

I think that new mahindra Roxor would be terribly durable, but it would be rough riding. I know the new polaris 1000's have much heavier built clutches, and have addressed some of the chronic polaris issues with that unit.

As far as the money goes, nothing is worth what we pay for it now.... Haven't seen a $70K pickup that was worth 70k, or a $150K tractor that was worth it either. For as much as we use the SxS's they're the one piece of machinery we cannot run with out.

Ken likes this.
  5. Monty

Side X Side(s):

I would have to agree with you would hate to be without a sidexside they are almost indispencable for me too. I'm not really complaining about life of mine things do wear out and have to be repaired. really main complaint Polaris tells what it needs to fix it on my dime then when it does it again it's kinda like oh well your not using it for intended purpose?but try this and you get to pay for this experiment too.

6. WagZ

WagZ WagZ Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2016 Teryx4 LE

Sounds lean to me.. I replaced a few header pipes now for people. Simple way to check your Air/Fuel ratio is pull your plugs.. what color are they? CoCoa Brown or more of a whiteish? If whiteish, its lean. Lean engines run hotter and dont last longer.. although...you got a good jag of miles on your machine. Programming it will help with lean issues and heat issues BIG TIME!!

As for the clutch issue, thats common on the 900.. no way around it other than aftermarket really. Your on the right track with DDP setup. Duraclutch is nice also, but the DDP has proven to be a failsafe fall back for many.

The driveline issue causing a header to crack sounds pretty dumb.. lol vibration, yes ill agree...but still...pretty cheesy on their behalf. check your motor mounts too.. see if they're broke or screwed up allowing it to flex to much and bind the header. ive seen that as well.

Good luck mister!

DieselFume likes this.
  7. Monty

Side X Side(s):

Thanks for the response, not shure what to try went around 22000 miles with just normal stuff started fine run just fine used no oil and normal engine temp then started cracking head pipes first one I replaced thinking that many miles it was just heating and cooling cycles that's when in 50 hours another one broke so I took to dealer thinking Polaris has seen before should know how to fix kinda went down hill from there. I don't really mind spending to fix something but I hate to keep throwing money at it just hoping for a fix, plugs are a lite tan, don't know how fuel mixture has changed by its self, motor mounts I can wiggle with a pry bar but don't seem to be excesive rubber looks good. I'm thinking about replacing motor mounts just to try but after about 5 headers at 400$ a pop besides what I spent at dealer with no cure, all of this in the last 3000 miles experimenting is getting expensive would just like to get it fixed. Sorry for long post just trying to cover all bases, and answer all questions.

DieselFume and WagZ like this.