1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Honda to Kawa

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ncred02, Jul 31, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Ncred02

Ncred02 John SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2015 Honda Pioneer 500

Thinking of stepping up to a Teryx for the following reasons
    1.Comfort. As reliable as my Pioneer 500 is its literally like riding on a park bench. The extra comfort and travel is a must for me to keep enjoying this hobby
    2. Reliability. I have researched and the Teryx looks to be a reliable machine.
    3. Price . It also seems to be reasonable compared to Polaris and Can Am

Let me know what you think.
    I am looking at a 2014 Teryx with 400 miles right now but may go new for the warranty

Thanks

2. DazedandConfuzed

DazedandConfuzed Todd SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2008 Teryx 750
    2015 Teryx 800

Hi John - I can't speak of other SXS, but I own 2 Teryx. My primary reasons were price, and engine braking since my property (primary location of use) is very hilly. They seem reliable and durable. My 2008 unit has 4000+ miles and just acquired 2015 has 44. I'm an older guy, so the power steering and nicer seats are much more pleasant than the 08. The newer models have a three year warranty, which I believe is near the top for SXS.

Good luck with your search and with whatever you choose!

3. Expat

Expat Larry SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2012 Polaris Ranger 800XP

If comfort is your number one factor I would seriously look into a Polaris. Nothing rides as good as they do. As long as you keep them fairly stock reliability is great too. You hear more bad about Polaris because there are many times more of them out there and many times more of them abused. From all accounts Tyrex are great machines but not a great ride and they are loud, especially when compared to a Polaris Ranger 900. If I were in the market I would pick up a new Ranger 900 now since you can get them new for just over 11K which is the best deal ever on them.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  4. Ken

Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2013 Ranger XP 900 Sunset Red LE. 2009 Ranger 700 XP Sunset Red

I am with you on the Polaris 900. I have owned one since 2013 and it has been the most reliable UTV i have owned. I have over 10,000 miles and 1200 hours on mine. I did install a DuraClutch for the smooth starts and engine braking and I have "No" Belt failures at all. The ride as addressed is the best out there.

5. offroadohio

offroadohio Donnie SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2015 Arctic Cat wildcat sport limited

The teryx is an awesome machine. 3 year factory warrenty kinda of tells you they believe in thier products.

Though im not sure how much more comfortable one would be over a pioneer, ir really put some seat time in ome before i made that decision.

The piomeer is pretty basic sxs so the teryx would be a huge upgrade for sure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

6. Ken

Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2013 Ranger XP 900 Sunset Red LE. 2009 Ranger 700 XP Sunset Red

Have not sat or rode in a Teryx, but I have been in the Honda SxS and found them to ride rough, lots of heat in the seat and cab area very cramped in the cab with my 6 foot frame. I would have thought with a name like Honda they would have done much better.

7. Ncred02

Side X Side(s):

2015 Honda Pioneer 500

Thanks for the replies. The wife and I saw a 2016 Can Am commander yesterday and what a difference in comfort. There happened to be a Pioneer 500 sitting two rides over so comparison was easy. Got quote 16.5 OTD for the XT-P model. Deciding soon

Piston Honda and Seastacker like this.
  8. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Mid-Size

Can am is making some REALLY nice machines these days. I saw the Kaw's at a local county fair earlier this summer and liked them, but it was pretty basic. Built like a tank though.

Piston Honda likes this.
  9. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Seth Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

I'm thinking of moving from my P5 too, but top speed is the issue. I don't need to go 70 but something out of the 40s would be nice. I'm looking at the Wolverine R-Spec for the suspension travel, but my choice after that would be the Can Am. I have a 17 year old boat with a Rotax engine and that engine has been 100% reliable and it's a two-stroke. Let us know what you choose and how it works out for you.

10. Ncred02

Side X Side(s):

2015 Honda Pioneer 500

Yes some speed would be nice as well. I'm going to have to sell the 500 first. I listed it this morning and I'll wait and see what and when I sell.

Piston Honda likes this.
  11. River Rat

River Rat Mike SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

'07 Prowler 650XT

I changed the CDI box to get rid of the limiter and get my old rig out of the 40's but sounds like it's going to blow up!

Piston Honda likes this.
  12. mazdaparts

mazdaparts Jason SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT

unless you are a speed freak look at the Kawasaki Mule Pro line. They have 2 and 4 door models of the FX line and the new FXR. You will not get a quieter engine. The ride is actually pretty good for bench seats. The family and I take 2 hour trips around the country side and don't complain about the seats. And you can actually carry on a conversation with the passengers. The suspension is very plush as well. I only mention the speed thing because they are limited to 45mph.

jmarco89 likes this.
  13. Curt

Curt Administrator

Seth, which Can Am would you look at? The R spec seems nice but I've been told they are also power limited.

Piston Honda likes this.
  14. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Seth Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

I like the Maverick's like @PlumberSteve76 's. Not the Can-Am limo, but the yellow ones he has. :) I don't need a ton of speed out of the R-Spec. I think it's mid 50's stock and you can get them tuned to around 60 mph. 55 mph would help me keep up with you guys at least. If it was just me, I'd be looking at the YXZ too, but I doubt I could get the wife interested in that.

PlumberSteve76 likes this.
  15. Curt

Curt Administrator

You never know, they are pretty comfortable, but so are the Mavericks.

Piston Honda likes this.
  16. PlumberSteve76

PlumberSteve76 Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 Can am Maverick
    2015 Can am Maverick Max

I like my Can Ams.. I am not a brand loyal so to speak kind of person I have had great luck with my 2 seat maverick and my maverick max. between the both machines I have over 6000 combined miles and the only thing ive done is replaced one wheel bearing.This includes trips to hatfield and McCoy and royal blue along with mostly Michigan trail riding.I do like the ability to grease all the a arms, universals, driveshaft splines ,sway bars ..etc.. other brands may have the same things as well but I'm not sure. I recently purchased the Maverick X3 Max and am hoping to get the same reliability out of it as the others.. One of my decisions on buying the new x3 was to get the rear engine instead of the mid engine. The ability to access the engine and clutch system is much easier on the x3 versus the regular mavericks. I don't believe the regular Mavericks have as plush suspension as the RZR but I never encountered sustained rough riding where it was an issue.There's my 2 cents worth..lol

Ncred02, Curt and Piston Honda like this.