1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

How to adjust the TPS on 2008 Ranger Crew

Discussion in 'Ranger Nation' started by DieselFume, Nov 25, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Hey everyone-

I had a 2008 Ranger crew run through my shop today and I figured I'd share a few tips- tricks on how to check the TPS adjustment and make changes if needed be-

First off you'll want to be able to test the DC voltage on the Yellow wire at the TPS. You may have to cut back some of the loom- I use a wire probe that came with my Fluke multi meter, but many of you can most likely backprobe the yellow wire at the connector to get your + voltage, and just vice grip the neg. probe to engine somewhere.

20171125_134321.jpg

Turn your meter to "DC Volts" and turn the ignition key to ON, but do not start. If everything's hooked up you should be seeing around .660-.710 volts depending on your model year.

Find the throttle cable adjuster and loosen the jam nut a few turns, and then thread the collar on 5 or 6 turns so the throttle cable is very slack. Push on and off the acc. pedal a few times slowliy and see what your voltage reading is.

On 05,07, 700s, your reading will be .710 volts
    On 06,08,09 700s it will be .660 volts

All readings will be give or take approx .010 volt

If you find that your reading is low or high, you can adjust the tps sensor by loosening the little torx head screw on the RH sie of the throttle body and making fine adjustments. This is generally a close setting that works most of the time.

20171125_135028.jpg

Now if you start the engine and you're not happy with how it's running, or you suspect that someone has messed with the idle air/ D screw already, then you need to check the base voltage. What I mean by that is you need to check the voltage with the throttle blade completely closed. In the pic above, I have a home made tool that I made from a roll pin and a nut welded on top. They sell adjustment tools, but you can make your own. You may even be able to make one out of some small brass tubing.

So to find the base setting, you need to back the D screw on the upper LH side of the throttle body all the way off counter clockwise. Watch the numbers on the meter come down until they stop, and then maybe go a turn or two more. Make sure the throttle cable is backed all the way off!

Give the throttle pedal a couple of easy pumps and take a look at your voltage on the meter. It should be near .528 volts (all years of 700s)... This setting in my opinion in important, and I really like to be within .002 of .528. If you find that yours is off like mine is below,

20171125_134438.jpg

Than you need to loosen the tps torx screw, and adjust TPS until you get very near to .528 volts. Once achieved, give the throttle pedal another bump or two to make sure it's consistent. A gummy or dirty throttle body can cause erratic readings.

20171125_134912.jpg

Now that you've got your base voltage set, Use your D screw to adjust the idle up to the correct voltage for your year of 700. in my case on my 08, it's .660 volts... Again, bump the throttle pedal a couple times after adjustment to see where it settles.

20171125_135028.jpg

At this point you can start the engine and make sure it's sounding good, and idling correctly. I've had some that I had to back off the D screw adjustment with the engine running to get the rpms to a usable amount... 1050-1150 is a good spot.

Then, take out the slack in your throttle cable. being cautious not to overtighten it. you want the slack out, but you want the engine to easily come all the way down to idle after letting off the gas pedal. When you're satisfied, lock down the jam nut .

You're done!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Seastacker likes this.
  2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Great tip! I have found a quality multi meter and knowing how to use it is priceless around the shop.

3. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

sorry, got a little jump there and posted before I was finished, edited (lengthened now)

4. sZim

sZim Steve SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2008 Polaris Ranger 700efi Crew

Hi everyone - I picked up a 2008 Ranger 700efi crew for my 4 sons and I to play this this summer, at auction, and I’ve got some work to do! I get code 22 and this thread seems most relevant. Have not tried the adjustment yet. The engine will crank, but won’t fire. If I “play” with the gas pedal while cranking, I can get it to fire and start up, and then if I run it immediately follow (don’t let it idle), after about 3 minutes it will hold the start. Right when I got it, I replaced the air filter - strangely when I did that, it cranked right over and held idle perfect, but then when I went down a steep hill it stalled and now back to the initial stage, code 22, will crank but not turn over unless I give the gas pedal some love. Do I start with going through what this thread outlines? Thanks for any advice!!