1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

How to: Bad Dawg Lift Kit Install

Discussion in '[ Intimidator ] "How to Videos"' started by wixthedog, May 1, 2016.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. wixthedog

wixthedog Mike SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Intimidator 750 Crew

This will serve as the "how to" for the Bad Dawg 2" Lift Kit ((https://baddawgaccessories.com/shop/details/Intimidator-2-Bracket-Lift )

Install is really straight forward and hardly merits a full write up but since I could not find anything (at all) on this lift before I bought it so this will be handy for the next owner who is thinking about buying a kit and it wondering how it works, functions, and goes together. All in all, with my beautiful wifes help, it took about an hour. If my knee was working properly it would have been a little less!

Tools: 3/4" socket and wrench, hammer, punch, hydraulic jack
    Helpful tools: Large prybar (3' or so) to lift tire to align shock, bench grinder, large screwdriver

It was packaged well, everything was present, a new sticker for the tool box, and some instructions that may be a bit lacking for a novice DIY'er. Follow the pics below and you'll do just fine.

IMG_2837.JPG

I took some before pics and some rudimentary measurements, I was right at 14" front and rear from where I measured.

Before:
    IMG_2834.JPG
    IMG_2836.JPG

I started on the front, put the jack right under the winch plate and lifted both sides at once. I never saw a need for jack stands like the instructions say but your choices may vary. It was stable and made setting the shocks back in straight forward.

I took the weight off the front tires and removed both front shock mount bolts, these can be discarded or kept for future use. Swing the shock out of the way and bolt the two plates in, sandwiching the OEM bracket. The center spacer was a bear to get in, I assume when they welded the OEM bracket it collapsed a bit. A quick trip to the grinder and it was all good.

Don't tighten these down until you get your shocks in! Use the pry bar to help jockey the shock back into the bracket (by prying between the ground and bottom of the tire) instead of playing up and down games with the jack handle.

Repeat both sides, tighten down snug, and the front is complete!

OEM Mount and shock bolt:
    IMG_2838.JPG

New front brackets in and shock bolted in:
    IMG_2843.JPG

Move the jack to the rear, I placed it in the middle under the hitch receiver and did both sides at the same time just as I did in the front. Lift the bed up and access to everything is right there. Same process as the front but with a slightly different bracket.

OEM Rear Bracket:
    IMG_2844.JPG

Shock removed, waiting on new brackets:
    IMG_2846.JPG

New brackets installed and snugged up:
    IMG_2847.JPG

All done! The new measurements were in at 17 1/4" so I gained a net of 2 1/4". Not bad at all for an hours work and $160. I am excited to head to deer camp and NOT beat the hell out of my skidplates now!

After:
    IMG_2850.JPG

After:
    IMG_2849.JPG

2. wixthedog

Side X Side(s):

Intimidator 750 Crew

To save you from scrolling:

Before:
    IMG_2836.JPG
    After:
    IMG_2849.JPG

Seastacker likes this.
  3. Curt

Curt Administrator

Looking good!

wixthedog likes this.
  4. mtimesplitter167

mtimesplitter167 Mike SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2012 ranger 800 xp le

Looking good,thanks mike.

wixthedog likes this.
  5. jmarco89

jmarco89 Justin SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2016 Mule ProFX EPS Black

Looks great. I bet it's a night and day difference. That kit seems like it's really thought out and comes with some great hardware

wixthedog likes this.
  6. Richard Davidson

Richard Davidson RD SXS Nation Insanity

Side X Side(s):

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 XTX

Great post! Thanks! BTW, that is a really nicely thought out kit! Now, where did I leave my plasma cutter.............................! LOL

7. wixthedog

Side X Side(s):

Intimidator 750 Crew

Thanks folks.

As a guy who uses CNC plasma machines regularly this is a very good kit for the price. I bolts are bit longer than they should be but they work and I assume they are off the shelf available so I don't blame them for using them.

mtimesplitter167 likes this.
  8. OctaneToyBoxMIRANDA

OctaneToyBoxMIRANDA Miranda Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat X -- TURBO

Thanks for posting this! I would be too intimidated to do a project like this without a visual aid to accompany me. I'm sure future lift kit buyers will definitely appreciate your photos and effort!

Looks great too! 2 1/4" might not sound like a lot, but you can CLEARLY see the difference! Way to go!

9. mtimesplitter167

mtimesplitter167 Mike SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2012 ranger 800 xp le

Mike what offset are the wheels you have?

[​IMG]

10. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Looks really nice. Thanks for taking the time posting up the pics!

wixthedog likes this.
  11. wixthedog

Side X Side(s):

Intimidator 750 Crew

Stock? I have no idea but they are the lower end wheels from the factory.

12. Da Duke

Da Duke SXS Nation Regular

Looks good wixthedog! I am considering the Intimidator or a General. Unless they upgrade the Polaris Ranger 6X6.

13. wixthedog

Side X Side(s):

Intimidator 750 Crew

Intimidator just released the 800cc version a few months back and the reviews are outstanding. They still offer the 750cc like I have and it does what I need it to.

14. ckingwevl

ckingwevl Chris SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Mahindra mPact XTV 1000 Diesel Crew

@wixthedog how is the lift on your Intimidator holding up? I am considering the lift for my Mahindra to get a couple more inches out of it. Any handling or turning radius issues with the lift on?

15. wixthedog

Side X Side(s):

Intimidator 750 Crew

Hi Chris, no issue to report at all. I went over it all before this hunting season and everything was still as I left it.

I’ve been know to throw a few hundred pounds of feed on the roof so that effects handling (obviously) but other than that I don’t notice much of a change. I’m no race car driver so that may be a reason why.

Good luck and let me m ow if you have any other questions.

16. Norseman

Norseman Ken SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2019 Intimidator 2500 Truck Series

I just got an Intimadator and have been considering the lift kit. How have things held up such as universal joints? I've not lifted any ATV or UTV. I know the lift I added to my old CJ-5 years ago caused me to replace UV joints about every year.