1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

It's tire time again opinions?

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by DieselFume, Dec 6, 2017 at 11:00 PM.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, 3 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All doomed for hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Well, The GBC Dirt Commanders on my ranger are done. The rears have about 2/32nds left on them, and the fronts are leaking air through developing dry rot.

So- I'm looking at a couple options-

1-

The Sedona Coyote-

[​IMG]

19/32nds tread depth, which isn't alot, but the tread lugs are siped, which means good in snow. They are also close together which means less chances of face punctures. Every sedona I've owned have had a carcass that has been tough as nails. My knocks on the rip-saws were that they ran small to size, and rode really rough. These tires come in a 27x12 size which is what I'm looking for. 6pl only.

Next is the

Carlisle versa Trail ATR

[​IMG]

I know I know I've always said I will never run a Carlisle tire again! But...... These really look like they might have tried this time. I really like the blocky tread pattern that would block sticks/cactus punctures, and wear really well on the hard pack gravel roads we run on primarily . 6pl only.

Last, the tried and true, GBC Dirt Tamers-

These tires are most likely the best I've ever seen in terms of longevity, durability, wear and cost.

If I can't make up my mind, I'll default to these tires.

[​IMG]

Opinions, suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 11:07 PM
    Piston Honda likes this.
  2. Curt

Curt Administrator

I really like my Motoclaws. The only downside to them is weight.

3. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

Polaris General
    Polaris Ranger

I am stuck on Bighorns I think the are the best all around tire out there and your tried and true are just like the bighorn tread so I would vote for them!

4. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Mid-Size

Adam, Have you considered going over to a light truck tire? I know some guys run super swampers or similar. I have also seen a few sets of BFG mud terrains.

5. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Carlisle????? really! piss poor rubber compound. I'm liking my maxxis ceros, 3500miles of hard roads with little to no wear, got one slow leaker but think it's a locust thorn.

6. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, 3 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All doomed for hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Curt-

I liked my moto claws too!

But I found that going into year 3 the dry rot on the fronts was so bad that the tire started coming apart on the inside! I had to retire them.

Carl- I've really considered it! but by the time you buy new rims for around $500, and find some 27 inch tires (pickins are slim) you're at $1000!

Larry- My exact thoughts on Carlisle............ I'd like to think they've changed, but I still find that knot in my stomach everytime I lean that way..... been burned too many times.

Maxxis are good tires. Just wildly expensive. at least around here!

7. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

I don't hate the looks of that Carlisle tire, but I would never own one. I hated the 489's on my stock Ranger. Also working pretty extensively with RV's, any time I see a Carlisle tire I cringe. Just a matter of time before it blows. The Carlisle falls into the "China Bomb" tire category for me.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  8. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

I got mine from Rocky Mt Atv, weren't all that expensive and free shipping, ordered on a Wed and had them Fri.

9. Curt

Curt Administrator

It may be the difference in environment. I’m on Year 4 for my Motoclaws with no signs of dry rot.

10. jmarco89

jmarco89 Justin SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2016 Mule ProFX EPS Black

How about the tusk terrabites? You can get the 27s for about $100. Those are the tires I’m going with here pretty quick. Seem to have great reviews and are talked highly of

11. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

I like the looks of them, but aren't they supposed to be a low grade tire? You are correct, the reviews are good

12. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

Check out the Rage Storm series from Discount Tire. 8 Ply and hold up pretty good in our mountain/desert climate.

13. jmarco89

jmarco89 Justin SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2016 Mule ProFX EPS Black

I dont know if I would say low grade. They are Rocky Mountains in house tire brand which is why the pricing is pretty good. They’re 8 ply and light weight. I’m ordering them this week. Rocky Mountain took the tread design of the kanati mongrel and the side wall of the pro armor crawler and came up with the terrabite. The should be great tires

DieselFume likes this.
  14. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

I like the looks of the terrabite. Typically 8 ply and light weight don’t go together though, lol.

DieselFume likes this.
  15. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Interesting.... I didn't know they were a house brand. I like the tread pattern on them, Maybe that's what I should do?

16. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

For $100 a corner, it seems like it is worth a try. They look to have a very off road truck like tread to them. The Conditions and miles you run in would be the ultimate test.