1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

LED replacement bulbs?

Discussion in 'General ATV/Quad Discussion' started by airshot, Jan 1, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Some years back I changed out the headlamp bulbs in my Blazer for LED bulbs and I really like them. Does anyone know if the standard headlamp bulbs in our ATV/UTV's can be substituted for LED bulbs? Actually my headlights are really good so not interested in adding on a light bar, just wanting to get an improvement like I gained in my Blazer. Thanks for reading

2. jmarco89

jmarco89 Justin SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2016 Mule ProFX EPS Black

I never had good luck with led bulbs in my ranger. The rangers headlight housing isn't designed to broadcast the led bulb like a regular halogen bulb does. Also the cooling fans don't hold up the best. They don't like mud water sand dust moisture or any kind of debris. I've had great luck with sylvania silver star ultras and I'm now running the sylvania ZXE. Noticeably brighter then stock bulbs. I've been very happy with them so far. I would reccomend them

But to answer your question yes you can swap out the halogen bulbs for led bulbs. Just figure out what bulb size you need and buy the led version of it.

3. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

I was not aware of LED bulb being so sensitive to the environment, I thought they were supposed to burn cooler? At least that is what they advertise on the home replacement bulbs. Not sure I want to go thru the hassle...thanks for the information, I might investigate the silverstar bulbs as I have used them before.
    Are you running the silverstars in your UTV?

4. jmarco89

Side X Side(s):

I started out with the sylvania ZXE in my truck and was amazed with the quality and brightness I got over the stock bulbs. I always ran the silver star ultras in my atvs and my ranger. When I got my mule that was one of the first things I did and I'm very happy with the outcome of the ZXE in the mule

The led bulbs in that link I posted at the bottom are the ones I'm talking about. The cooling fans don't hold up to the environment that utvs normally see. Most claim to be waterproof dust proof etc. but that hasn't been the case in my experience. I've had 2 different brands and both failed. I'm not a mud or water rider either. Strictly around my property which is just dirt roads that are either really dusty or a little muddy after a good rain. These are one of the brands I tried and returned after they died ---> Amazon.com: OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs w/ Clear Arc-Beam Kit - H13 (9008) - 80w 7,000Lm 6K Cool White CREE - 2 Yr Warranty: Automotive

5. jmarco89

Side X Side(s):

I know you said you aren't interested in any led light bars but what about some small led cube lights? You can get a good quality set of 2 for under $100. The are small enough they will mount just about anywhere. Rough country is the brand I have. They are really good quality and super bright for the price. They also make flush mount cubes so if you have somewhere flat you can mount them inside the body as well. If you don't go the led bulb route these are definitely a great upgrade over the headlights. 2-inch Square Cree LED Lights [70903] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

6. Richard Davidson

Richard Davidson RD SXS Nation Insanity

Side X Side(s):

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 XTX

I used the Superbrite LED conversion bulbs on my Prowler. They have a 881 replacement that offers plenty of light, and the amp draw is very small! .83 per bulb! I originally installed high, and low beam, but since just use low! The kits were fairly reasonable. This is like oil! To each there own! LOL

7. JOE YOUNT

JOE YOUNT joseph SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2015 POLARIS RANGER XP 900

Has anyone tried to install the Sylvanial hid h13s in a Polaris Ranger?
    I bought a pair of Sylvania Ultra bulbs that were a direct change as far as the H13 base and installed them yesterday. I am guessing I got about a 20 maybe 25 percent increase in light and brightness. I won't know for sure until I get another good night ride in. I took the buggy for a brief ride in the neighborhood and I think it was better.
    While do the exchange I took the opportunity to tighten the headlight adjustment screw and adjust the headlights again.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020