1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy a Farm UTV, comparing a few models

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Lastmohecken, Nov 2, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

1. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken Nevada SXS Nation Rookie

Hello, new member here.
    I have been trying to decide on a UTV for farm and hunting. I have been looking at the Yamaha viking, the Can Am Defender, and the Kawasaki Mule, lately. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, you know trying to figure out which one is the best, and most trouble free, etc.
    I do like the big bed available on the Mule and I was impressed by the soft ride it seemed to have, but I have heard it gets stuck a little easier (no front locker). And I have heard that the Yamaha viking is a very dependable model that holds up well, and the Can Am Defender is another contender I am looking at. I also know that Polaris has several offering and I wonder about the Ranger, but I get the general consensus that the Ranger or Polaris models in general are good machines but tend to need more repairs, and that parts are cheaper then parts for the Mule.

And I keep hearing about belt issues some people have, not sure of the worst models in this area of discussion.

I won't be doing a lot of really rough trail riding but I do have about 10 miles of fence to keep up and some if its in pretty rough wooded Arkansas hill country, and I pull trailers around, a fair amount.

Help convince me of a good choice. What are some of the strong points and weak points of the various models. I kind of like the Yamaha Viking, but and I know it minor, but it bugs me that the water overflow jug is mounted down low, where I would think it would get covered in mud, however it has a great warranty on the drive belt (10 years on the 2019) And I like the bumpers/winch set up and the skid plates, on the Can Am pretty good, but it a little more expensive, and I don't know how well they hold up either.

Suggestions, advice?

2. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

I would put the Polaris General on the short list. as stated in your other post!
    Will come down to how you plan on riding and working a utility type machine will be mostly bench seats while a crossover sport/utility will have bucket seats that you will like on the longer rides or when you have more seat time!

3. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

It's a tough choice since your not brand specific. keep in mind when you start searching forum sites looking for problems it's the main reason most come to these sites, looking for answers to their problems. More HP = more problems and would venture a guess that 85% of most issues can be pointed back to either the right foot or any modifications and I mean any. I'm true blue Polaris, goes back to snowmobile days and you'll see more problems with them because they have way more units out there then anybody, maybe 10-1. My best advice is find a good dealer and buy his brand cause at some point you'll have problems regardless of what brand it is. I wish you luck.

4. Lastmohecken

Good points made, finding a good dealer is very important, on the flip side of that, I really hate to go back to the dealer on anything if I can help it, especially motorcycle dealers, and prefer to use independents most of the time, no matter who, I usually don't take my stuff back much to Harley, Ford, Chevy, Yamaha, you name it.

5. Pede

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Point taken, I've never had one back myself but I do stop in once and a while just to BS, see what's new maybe buy some parts and ask a question or 2.

6. wgarcar1

wgarcar1 ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2016 polaris ranger 570 XP

Are you by yourself? = 2 seater or 4 on a crew.
    Do you need it wider = 3 or 6 passengers?
    Are you considering longer warranty?
    Are you going to lift the suspension and put on bigger tires?
    Do you need a/c or heat?
    Is money an issue?
    Are you going to do some hunting?
    Do you care if it's noisy?
    Do you ride like a speedy maniac?
    Do you have mud next to the fence?
    Do you need 2500 towing capacity?
    It all depends on what you're going to use it for.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. wgarcar1

Side X Side(s):

I have 2018 Polaris 900 xp with 1000 miles on and so far no problems.
    I recommend it since it's a legendary machine and overall a great machine that does everything you need and more. you can get them for much less than the new 2019 1000cc.

8. Lastmohecken

I want 3 people to be able to ride if needed, but don't need or want the longer 6 seater, more interested in a long bed to haul fence posts, and wire, etc.
    I like a longer warranty if possible, I know some offer 3 yrs, the ones that only offer 6 months or 1 year, tell me they think their machine will hold, it seems.
    I am on the fence on the lifting the machine, but like the idea of bigger tires
    Probably won't get AC or Heat
    Money is always an issue, and would like to spend no more then 13,000 or 14,000, less would be nice, but don't want to compromise too much.
    Will definitely do some hunting
    I don't want it to be very noisy, prefer it to be pretty quite.
    Not a speed demon, 40 or less most of the time, but do like the idea of being able to go a little faster in case I get out on the blacktop
    Not that much mud normally, at least not deep much or bogs
    I do want to be able to tow 2000 lbs and haul 1000 lbs

I will be traveling over fields, cow pastures, wooded Arkansas hill sides, and dirt roads, mostly
    Will use it to check on cattle, pull trailers, haul tools, fence posts, fire wood, dead deer, and hogs, range cubes and other cattle feed, general farm use.

9. Lastmohecken

Oh! and I want it to ride good, and not beat my guts out, going over rough rocky ground.
    I do want decent ground clearance and be able to go up and down and maybe traverse some pretty steep terrain.
    But I don't give a hoot about fancy electronics, and the less the better. I want good head lights, however.

10. wgarcar1

Side X Side(s):

The answer is 2018 Polaris 900 XP
    Adjustable shock ride.
    Plenty of power and torque.
    Can fit up to 27" tires on the original 12" rims without rubbing.
    Quieter muffler for hunting.
    With the rest of the money you can spend on 1/4" aluminum roof, farm attachments, tools and LED lights.
    That's my opinion

11. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Seth Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500
    Yamaha Wolverine X2 R-Spec

I switched from Honda to Yamaha and the quality of the Yamaha is far superior to even Honda. If you're looking for dependability and few repairs, Kawasaki or Yamaha is the way you want to go. My 2019 Wolverine has no cab heat except on my feet which goes away by opening the door for a few seconds. Yamaha's CVT is really nice too, which is why they have a 10 year belt warranty. They use a centrifugal clutch to keep tension on the belt and avoid any belt slipping. I was looking at getting a Can Am before I decided on the Yamaha. The Can Am is noisier and hotter inside the cab, but that wasn't a deal breaker for me, I still wanted it. But then the X2 came out and it's so nice and comfortable. Does Kawasaki have the Teryx with a dump box? I hear a lot of good things about the Teryx too.

12. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Seth Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500
    Yamaha Wolverine X2 R-Spec

The radiator overflow bottle is mounted low on the Wolverine too. Covering it with mud hasn't been a problem but filling it is a little difficult. The good thing about it being so low is you always know your coolant level because you can see it walking up to it. That's probably why it's down there.

13. rocksalot

rocksalot James SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

The 900 Ranger XP fits all your requirements plus it has turf mode which you will not want to be without if you ever own a sxs that has it.
    A 2019 with EPS is the best setup with the latest improvements and they can be bought at Abernathys's in Union city TN for less money than the competition that mostly falls short of what you want.

Jungleman likes this.
  14. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Sorry, I came into this conversation pretty late!

We ranch here in SE Montana. We've been using polaris rangers for about 10 years now, and has been one of the best moves we made in terms of productivity.

Most recently we traded off our old ranger 800s on new 2017 Ranger 570 Full size machines. With the rebate they were $9000 each. Best part was we were able to re-use our old 800's cabs which saved some bucks.

I'll outline some perks of a machine like this, and then some drawbacks-

perks-

Stripped down. no unnecessary electronics, gadgets , and things to go wrong. minimal moving parts, lighter weight, strong 570 powerplant capable of reaching speeds of up to 50mph. still fits 3 in the cab, has a bed weight of around 800 lbs, and a tow rating of 1500. I'm running 26 inch tires on ours and they're fitting fine. The three machines we've gotten so far have a combined hours of near 2000 in one years time. No warranty work until just recently.

Downers-

Air inlet for the CVT/ engine air intake is in a poor location where it picks up more dirt than it should. Air filters will need cleaned or replaced every service, or every other service. The warranty work I was speaking of was due to dirt causing the drive and driven clutch to have issues.... One machines drive clutch was completely shot at 550 hours, and I have a feeling the other two machines are just as bad off.

Reduced turning radius- The strut style front end won't turn as sharp as say a 900 or 1000 ranger. and the ride is noticeably rougher..

Lighter chassis. They took out some steel in these frames- They're still holding strong, but metal is not very heavy in the whole chassis. Time will tell if it holds up.

Coil is mounted just ahead of the rear wheel where water hits it directly. Filling the boot with di-electric grease solved that problem.

No inner front fenders, so if planning to mount anything under the hood you'll have to build an enclosure if you wanted it protected.

Limited accessories. Polaris doesn't even offer a hard cab for this model.

So far I'd say I'm happy with them, especially the price, the limitations they have haven't been a dealbreaker so far for us. They've been reliable, and I plan to do some air inlet re-loacations to help with the dust issues. Other wise has been a strong, yet stripped down machine made for those of us who aren't too worried about how pretty we look as we get our hours in.

The 900s are an improved work platform. They're a proven line and has more chassis, more bed capacity, and just pretty much more everything. Polaris offers a full accessory line for them as well if you should choose to add a cab. But I think they start around $13500

Another contender I'd say would be worth checking out is the Kawsaki Mule FX. It rides smooth as glass, has a proven cherry engine that JD uses in their Gators. The bed is steel and the whole chassis is build pretty darn heavy.

Can't say much about the yamaha , but the Honda's I've been around and used weren't much to brag about. Pretty limited suspension and power, increased price.

John Deere is ramping up their game with these new gators, the one I sat in the other day felt very similar to the Ranger. Bench seat, shifter moved up onto the dash, better footwells. Deere has a very well built chassis, and these days would possibly be my #2 pick over ranger.

Problem you'll run into with any brand outside polaris is that there is not as many servicing dealers, and parts will cost more when the warranty runs out and you're paying for repairs out of pocket. Also I'd say the polaris will fetch more in re-sale.

Every one has their own reasons for buying what they buy. I have to buy what makes sense and what I can make money with.

Best of luck!

15. Pede

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

When he made his list of needs I was hoping you would chime in Adam, sure sounded to me like the 570 would be a good fit, not everyone would abuse them like you do:). Your right about JD and like you I'm no fan of the brand having 3 of the POS's to work on but I see we have a couple in town now and one even came with Fox shocks and their dealer network is second to none, but their still proud of that green paint, or maybe it's the yellow.

Jungleman likes this.
  16. Lastmohecken

Just got back on here. I am considering the Kawasaki Mule, pretty hard. But have not eliminated the Yamaha yet.
    Another one I have been checking on is the Diesel Kubota 1100, but it doesn't go but about 25 miles an hour, however I like the hydro static transmission, and it has a hydraulic dump bed. My cousin has 3 of them different years and one has 3500 hours on it. Anyone know much about the Kubota?

17. Pede

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

friend of mine just got a new one for his property, had it there when we were building his driveway, he liked it because it had air/heat and thought it was the only one on the market with that. well his driveway is a bit challenging, 800ft long with 150ft elevation change and we had to cut one hill down to get started, it wouldn't climb it so he had a turbo installed and then it just barely would, my 900 blasted right up it.

18. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I will toss in literally .02. I saw the Kaw line up at a fair we go to every year on the rural/ farm side of town. They had them all lined up and I will tell you the Kaw's are built HEAVY in a good way. Sounds like it should be a strong contender for what you are looking to do.
    @jmarco89 has a Mule Pro FX. Maybe he can add in a few thoughts/ observations.

19. rocksalot

rocksalot James SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

Kubota: Definitely a work horse and heavy and slow and it's weight is a liability on going up steep hills. Otherwise good, mostly for work.
    Yamaha Viking: Load rating and power to pull loads is very low and not geared low enough to be a serious worker. The shocks are not even adjustable and the springs crap out quickly. Pulling 2000 pounds on a hill is probably not going to happen if you have to stop and take off.
    Kawasaki: No front locker which you will need if you are going up steep hills pulling a load or otherwise. But is has turf mode.
    The Can Am Defender is a good dependable powerful rig and the front visco lok is better than an open differential like the Kawasaki. Also has turf mode.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    Jungleman likes this.
  20. Bigdeer2000

Bigdeer2000 Todd Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

, Kubota 1100x, 1968 m274 military mule

I have a Kubota 1100 and a Polaris xp1000 ranger. Enjoy both of them but if I could only keep 1 it would be the Kubota especially for farm work.