1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy a Farm UTV, comparing a few models

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Lastmohecken, Nov 2, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken Nevada SXS Nation Rookie

I test drove the Kubota today. I liked the hydraulic dump bed, and the idea of the diesel engine, but but it rode rougher then I liked, and of course was slow.
    I tested the enclosed cab model with heat and air. On a cold day like today, that was nice, but pricey. I think I want a smoother faster ride. There is quite a bit, that I like about the Cam Am, but I thought it rode rougher then the Mule, and I kept smelling burning rubber ( I thought) maybe it was just the new belt breaking in. I love the looks of it and the winch, however.

2. rocksalot

rocksalot James SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

I have driven a few just off the truck sxs's at my dealer and some of them stink really bad until they are completely warmed up and driven a few minutes. Lots of stuff burning off of the motor and exhaust and maybe belt.
    The Defender is maybe a little sportier in the ride but they are pretty smooth and supposedly fun for trail use, for a utility model anyway. The Mule I drove was only on a concrete lot. The Defender was on some bumpy and up and down and side hill stuff and I was pretty impressed with it overall. And it has quite a bit more power than the Mule. But the Mule is really smooth.

3. Lastmohecken

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and spoke for a Defender XT HD8. I was about to and almost did choose the Yamaha Viking. And if I hadn't finally found a really good deal on the Defender, I would have chosen the Viking. The Viking was very smooth, but a little louder, but not loud enough for that to be a deal breaker for me. And I liked the Yamaha's seats and cab better, but the package you get with the XT Defender includes a 4500 lb winch, and the front bumper is heavier duty with a good mounting spot on it for a light bar (not included) but I will buy later on. And the HD8 does have more power, or so it is understood. However, the 10 yr warranty on the Viking's belt was hard to walk away from. And I liked the bigger tires on the Defender.

In the end, I just saw more value in the deal on the Defender. I hope it doesn't let me down and develop problems I have to deal with.

Seastacker likes this.
  4. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Congrats. I think it will be a great machine for you. Post up some pics when you get it and do any mods!

5. Jungleman

Jungleman SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2007 Polaris Ranger 700XP LE

Congrats ! Out of the two, the Defender would be my choice. Yommie's are to slow........

DieselFume likes this.
  6. Lastmohecken

Well, lets see if this works, I am not very good at posting pictures

Attached Files:

7. Lastmohecken

Ok, I guess it worked. Anyway, I picked it up Saturday. I went ahead and had them add the half windshield and side mirrors, before I left. I decided not to get crazy on add-on's yet. I plan to use it and figure out what I need if anything more. I have an extra ball hitch for the back end, but I will need to cut it down and make it a little shorter, first, but that will give me a 2' ball in the back. I may add a 2' ball to the front later on, but I still have my old Yamaha 4-wheeler with a ball on the front for pushing trailers around.

It has fair headlights, but I will probably want to add a light bar or a couple of Ba Ha style lights on it.

It has a full PVC skid plate underneath it, and I already tested that out today on some rocks, no damage was done. I can see the value of taller tires and or lifting it a little bit, but I am in no hurry to do that, and will probably just try to drive smarter to minimize dragging at least for a while. I took it for a drive today, and finally got the guts up to cross this steep ravine to get to an adjacent forty acres I own. This is short cut, instead of going around on the public gravel road to access. Anyway, going over was not much trouble. It was steep and muddy somewhat with some big rocks but I locked in 4WD and the rear diff and it went up it just fine, but coming back is a little more dicey and I was probably going too slow, so started sliding and couldn't keep out of the rocks I planned to run over with my wheels instead, but it just slid and scraped over the rocks and kept going, no problem, and I came back out, no worse for wear and tear.

So far, I am very happy with it, and the half windshield works well to deflect the air coming up over the hood, but I can still shoot a rifle out over the top. I don't care much for the web-netting instead of half doors, and might add or fabricate some half doors for it in the future, but I really don't need doors all that badly.

I have been running in low range most of the time, and that's about all I need, but did put it in high range a couple of times and got it up to about 40 mph on the gravel road, and it got there pretty quick, and was still climbing, at least plenty quick enough for me. I was debating on getting the HD10 instead of the HD8 that I bought, but frankly for the money savings, I don't thing I need the HD10, because it plain to see this one will definitely run as fast as I need it to go.

So, over all, I am pretty happy with it. Oh! And I was pleasantly surprised to figure out that I don't really need a gun rack (one more thing I won't need to buy) as I have found out that my rifle (for-end/barrel) wedges nicely between the middle seat and passenger seat, with the butt stock sticking securely in a notch on the floor.

Seastacker likes this.
  8. Lastmohecken

Another view from the side.

Attached Files:

Seastacker likes this.
  9. Lastmohecken

One more picture, from when I just got it home.

Attached Files:

Seastacker likes this.
  10. wgarcar1

wgarcar1 ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2016 polaris ranger 570 XP

Congratulations, it's a boy [emoji512][emoji482][emoji106]
    It looks like a million bucks, good choice, very well made machine that's going to serve you for a long time.
    Be careful not to lose it (camo) lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Nice looking machine a friend just got one and he really likes his also!

12. Lastmohecken

Thank you, Yes, I love the looks of the Defender. The real test for me will be upkeep, if it will last me with minimal repair cost, and doesn't give me much trouble, I will be very happy. I can tell already, it will do about anything I want it to do, if it will just keep doing it, that will be the test it needs to pass for me.

13. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Congrats on the new ride!

I've always liked the looks of the defenders, I hope it performs well for you. Wish I had a closer Can Am dealer, I'd give them a serious look. Their defender line seems to be well built.

You'll have to keep us in the loop on how it does!

Jungleman likes this.
  14. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

The Mule FXT has a 3 year warranty. Tows 2000 lbs, Can be converted from 6 seats to 3 in less than a min. In 3 seat mode has a full size bed. I got mine for 15k, and it came with a steel skid plate and roof, along with the best package Kaw. offered. Hope this helps. Gary

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018 at 9:55 AM
  15. wgarcar1

wgarcar1 ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2016 polaris ranger 570 XP

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk