1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Low oil pressure

Discussion in 'Full size: 500, 700, 2005-2008 Model Years' started by Mwaldo, Aug 7, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Mwaldo

Mwaldo Michael SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 700 6x6 2006

Lifters won't pump up, did a top end with rings, valves, lifters etc, ran about 20 miles over several days, checked leak down and no problems. Changed oil and filter and it won't start. No oil pressure, primed with oil thru the brass plug on the pto side of the lifter oil galley, got 2 lifters up, drops again if I let sit. Put in a new (used) oil pump, no better

2. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

That's an interesting one-

Are you sure it's not getting too much oil pressure instead of no oil pressure? On my 800s They would always start with the relief valve hung open (low/no oil pressure) but if the relief valve was stuck shut the engine would start briefly then die out because the lifters would pump up too high float the valves and cause a zero compression issue.

3. Mwaldo

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 700 6x6 2006

Thanks, do you have a pic of cam alignment gear, my split gear came apart before I could mark it, looks like I could have 3 choices with the springs

4. Mwaldo

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 700 6x6 2006

My low oil pressure was a result of bad lifters that would not pump up, aftermarket china. They worked for about 15 miles, now I am trying to get the split spring cam gear timed. I also put in a used cam from mohawks, my old one had 60 thousands wear on lobes

5. Mwaldo

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 700 6x6 2006

I found the key to align the split gear. There is a punch mark inside the thicker gear that must match the timing mark out side the thin gear

DieselFume likes this.
  6. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Glad to hear it-

I never had to dive into any cam related issues on our 700s/800s, so this is all new stuff to me!

That's too bad on the China lifters- I've had a bad batch before (automotive) and usually it destroys the cam as well- Which is the case from the way you made it sound.

Best of luck.

7. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Glad you got it figured out! Frustrating when a new part causes issues like this. Most of us opt for new in effort to avoid these sorts of issues.