1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Metric Rant

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Pede, Jan 11, 2020.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

So I'm working on gators but found the same thing on most everything I wrench on. WTF is up with having to use both metric and standard wrenches, I know a few sizes are very close but when everything is supposed to be metric.....like I said WTF... everything on this gator has been metric until I get to the tranny drain plug, took a 1/2in, then the clutch cover bolts...3/8 and both were a perfect fit. My last bitch is with the clutch puller threads, suppose to be 14mmx1.5 and that screws in good for about a 1/2in then it starts working on the threads of the puller bolt, like it's stripping it, this was on 2 different clutches, I got both off and still have yet to try a 9/16 fine thread....but i will.

DieselFume likes this.
  2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Yep...gonna get even worse with so many parts made overseas. Even American co are mixing threads and fasteners depending on where the parts are made. I just keep both on hand to ease the frustration

3. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

100% Agree. Make it one or the other! I end up with twice as many tools out as I need. You can tell I'm real frustrated when I have both racks of sockets and both racks of wrenches out on the floor with me at the same time just to save trips back to the box. :mad:

4. Jungleman

Jungleman SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2007 Polaris Ranger 700XP LE

I got tired of the metric/SAE shuffle years ago and bought METRINCH tools. That was about fourteen years ago and I am still using them almost everyday . Blew the ratchet out finally a couple years ago........... Ignore the 'Snap On' crybaby in the reviews as I have put these things thru the ringer and never broken a socket. Amazon.com: 62 Pc Metrinch Combo Spanner Socket & Wrench Set: Toys & Games

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  5. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Interesting set, not a fan of snapon although I have a few, they make their money off young mechanics with the weekly pay and by starting tool wars in shops. I also never look at gimmick tools but it does have good reviews, well except for the case. most of the problem is quality control or the lack of it when it comes to hardware for some third world country. I really like flange bolts but who in hell thought they needed a flared head.

6. phm14

phm14 Peter SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2020 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE, 2019 Grizzly 700 EPS, 2017 KTM 500 EXC

I like Snap On, bought most of mine used on Ebay. That said, like most tool collections that are ~50 years in the making, mine is a hodge podge of different brands. I learned early on as a young commercial contractor that different makers often have the best design for a given power or hand tool. As far as mixing SAE and metric on the same vehicle, that's just lazy/penny pinching. None of my street vehicles do that. I don't even like it when aftermarket sends SAE hardware for a metric vehicle.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  7. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

I hear ya on having a hodgepodge of tools. I have many tools from JC Penny, Montgomery Wards, and a few left over from my dads collection of Herbrand tools where he worked for many years. The only wrench I have ever broke was a Craftsman, but if you saw how these were being used you wouldnt blame the wrench !! Even the cheap no name tools I have aquired over the years have held up with no issues.

8. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

This problem has been going 15 are more years in the auto industry. I have tools I had to buy and have only used once while pulling the dash out of the family car. I think the idea is to send you to the dealership when you need to change out a dash lamp. R M

9. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Almost all my big stuff is mac or SK some snapon especially sockets over 4in, bout the only choices on the 3/4 drive stuff if you want them to last at all, got a 1in drive impact that will spit out stuff from china, 600ftlb torque wrench is mac but for the most part craftsman on the rest but I don't make a living with them for me it's a cost of doing what I do. Had a SK ratchet left between the pads on a dozer and put a nice 90deg bend right at the head.....salesman just shook his head as he handed us a new one. Gary your right in fact John Deere will tell you that tractor you just pad 1/4mil for it's just rent...we own everything that runs it and you can't work on it. Deere also had this bright idea once....to save on the amount of tools you needed to carry that the bolt and nut would be different sizes.

10. Curt

Curt Administrator

Yeah the worst part is you have to take even more tools on the trail.

Jungleman likes this.