1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Michigan’s Governor signs HB 5639

Discussion in 'NEWS From The Nation' started by Curt, Dec 29, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Curt

Curt Administrator

Michigan’s Governor Snyder sins bill 5639 which allows us to make Side X Sides road legal.
    House Bill 5639 adds Section 217i to the Michigan Vehicle Code to require the Secretary of State to issue a vehicle identification number (VIN) and certificate of title to an assembled vehicle under certain circumstances.

The bill would define assembled vehicle to mean one or more of the following: A vehicle that is built from new or used materials or parts by a person not recognized as a manufacturer. A vehicle that has been altered or modified to the extent that it no longer reflects its original manufacturer configuration. A vehicle that has had its body replaced with a different style of body unit from another vehicle. A vehicle that has been assembled from a kit. An off-road vehicle, regardless of whether the original manufacturer's certificate of origin specifies that the vehicle is an off-road vehicle.

However, assembled vehicle would not include either a military surplus vehicle designated by the federal government as off-road use only or a gray market off-road minitruck.

Summary of HB

The bill would require the Secretary of State, upon application and payment of proper fees and submission of all documentation required by the Secretary of State, to issue a VIN in the manner provided in Section 230 of the Code and a certificate of title to an assembled vehicle that satisfies all applicable requirements of the Code and that contains the following equipment: Headlights, including at least one headlight on each side and high- and low-beam headlights. Front and rear turn signals. At least one taillight. (If the vehicle had two taillights, both would have to be in working order.) Registration plate light. Brake lights. Horn. Bright light indicator. Windshield wipers.

House Fiscal Agency HB 5639 (proposed H-1 substitute) Page 2 of 2

Windshield washers. Brake equipment as required under the Code. Safety belts. (This would only apply to 1965 and newer model vehicles.) Safety glass windshield. (The windshield could not be made of plexiglass, would have to be of a sufficient size to protect the driver of the vehicle and passengers, and would have to be made of a transparent material and be free of cracks or obstructions.) An adjustable outside rearview mirror on the driver's side, except that a truck with a half-ton or more capacity would have to have an outside rearview mirror on each side of the vehicle. For a passenger vehicle, bumpers that are between 14 and 22 inches above the ground when the vehicle is not in 4-wheel drive. Tires that have 2/32-inch tread, do not have exposed cord or tread separation, and are approved for use by the United States Department of Transportation. Exhaust that is in good working order and does not produce excessive noise. (If the original design of the exhaust included a tailpipe and resonator, the exhaust would have to include a tailpipe and resonator.) Differential gear.

The bill will take effect 90 days after being enacted.

Proposed MCL 257.217i

FISCAL IMPACT:

The bill would result in limited increased costs to the Department of State. Section 230 of the Michigan Vehicle Code currently requires the Secretary of State to provide a VIN to a vehicle whose manufacturer’s VIN has been altered, removed, or defaced. Section 806(2) currently provides for a $10 fee for special identifying number applications. The department reports that inspection and administrative costs of issuing a VIN far exceed the $10 application fee. (A proposed change not enacted in House Bill 4630 (H-2) of 2013 would have increased the VIN application fee from $10 to $100 to cover the costs of providing the service.) The actual increase in costs to the Department of State from the bill would depend on the number of applicants seeking a VIN for assembled vehicles.

Rockin Ronnie and Seastacker like this.
  2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Not sure I would do this anyway, but I may have chosen different tires had I realized this bill was on the governors desk.

3. kscfire

kscfire Paul Event Coordinator

Side X Side(s):

2017 Polaris General Ride Command Edition

A victory for riders in Michigan. A couple of minor details I noticed that could be overlooked, the requirements for a windshield washer and a safety glass windshield, not plexiglass and DOT tires. I didn't see any limitations on which roads they can be driven, a plus.

Seastacker likes this.
  4. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

It’s funny, but if I recall there was recent MI legislation to make it impossible to get them street legal. Wonder what changed. Maybe with opening up all the forrest roads recently people realized it was not that bad and how much money we bring to communitys.

Edit. I looked around and what I was thinking of was more of a policy change than legislation.

Policy change keeps UTVs from hitting the pavement | Fox17

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Curt likes this.
  5. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Man I'm glad our state doesn't have problems like this.

Seastacker likes this.
  6. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Ours does not seem that bad when I read about adjacent states. Still frustrating at times for sure.

7. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

I have been threw the steps for a sand rail and the safety glass will come down to the officer that would do the safety inspection. the check sheet they follow states safety glass and when they check wipers a washer is a check off. I think the dot tires would be an easy overlook. My local PD. gave me the most grief because I had no fenders but when asked at sec. of state what it was told them a roadster witch doesn't need tires covered.

I have been working to get mine plated and come spring will be going threw the steps to see what happens. I knew the bill was in the works all I need is a windshield washer and I should be good!:cool:

Seastacker likes this.
  8. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Keep us posted on how it works out. Also how the insurance portion of it goes.

9. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

I can understand plexiglass not used for windshields but what about polycarbonate (lexan) that is safer than glass, even safety glass. Most UTV windshields are made from polycarb, I don't know of anyone that would use plexiglass, to dangerous in case of impact. While I agree with the new law, I am not sure I would ever go thru the trouble of getting my UTV passed, to much crap to add on and maintain. More fun riddin the trails anyway.

10. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Looking for a little information from you Michigan riders, had the chance to do some riding in the St Helens area this fall and found it to be a very friendly and fun place to ride. I went with another rider very familiar with the area so I followed the leader. After studying the maps I realized we were on a number of atv only trails or so the map shows. The ORV trails appear to be mostly roads which can get boring. Prefer the more scenic trails if at all possible, also saw a number of UTV's on trails marked for atv. Not trying to break the law here but wondering if the 50" width is enforced up there. My machine is only 56" and was ask many times if it was a 50" machine. I know a number of those I saw on there were over 50 and we did not have to pass thru any gates or posts or sneak around any which I wouldn't do. Some orv trails ended up on an atv trail which we took to get back but there were no gates or posts to check just a very small post with an atv pic on it. Would love to go back up there again but not looking for trouble with the law....any information you could give would be greatly appreciated.

11. Curt

Curt Administrator

Yes they are enforced. You want to be on a UTV route, not on a UTV trail.

12. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

small correction...sorry Curt. The whole atv, utv, trail, route language can be confusing.

@airshot, check out VV Mapping if you plan to ride Michigan a lot. His maps have all the routes and legal roads in northern MI marked really well.

"Yes they are enforced. You want to be on a UTV route, not on a ATV trail."

13. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Yes I have the VV maps, that is how I figured out we were on atv trails. Your right it is confusing, on some trails that were orv just suddenly turned into atv trails miles down the trail. Some have no marking at all. Nice area just don't want to add to Michigan's bank account!

Seastacker likes this.
  14. Call Me Al

Call Me Al Dennis SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Polaris rzr s1000

Sometimes those trails that go from one type of ride to another are dual use trails. They should be marked as such but unfortunately, the clubs responsible for maintenance and signage on them don't mark them properly. I wish there was a way for the state to make sure its being done before paying a club to do their job as I often ride with a mixed group of atv's/sxs's and have found myself wondering what we are riding on. I live in this state and pay them enough thru taxes and permits without adding to its coffers because someone isn't doing their job.

15. Curt

Curt Administrator

3ACE96BC-5F9A-4480-8106-9AF60DC1E1CD.jpeg
    Yeah my bad. We have to be on an ORV route, not on an ORV trail.

16. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Most of the forrest roads are open now too. Not always the most interesting or technical riding, but gives great acces to the routes when they randomly dead end.

17. Dave

Dave Dave Administrator

Side X Side(s):

2017 RZR XP4 1000 turbo

I believe the big challenge with the new legislation is going to be finding insurance a reasonable rate. I have a friend with a street legal dune buggy and he has had to change insurance companies a couple of time over the last couple years because they stop cover assembled vehicles. I believe he said the cost also went up considerably.

18. ss17dan

ss17dan Dan SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

17yxz

Sounds like you need to get involved AL. Permits are vary cheap compared to the ten grand + most people have in machine. Insurance yep gonna go up if you want it on road gonna become a vehicle. Gonna probably cost the Same as your truck insurance. I’m happy this happened we’re lucky in this world to be able to ride at al sxs or sled. Look at the lousy side of our government. Up to them we wouldn’t do any of this.

19. kscfire

kscfire Paul Event Coordinator

Side X Side(s):

2017 Polaris General Ride Command Edition

I know it can be different from state to state, but I was able to get mine through Farm Bureau Ins. Full coverage, too. Also check Progressive, Gieco and USAA(veterans).

20. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Just changed mine to Safeco, had progressive but Safeco was 30% less for same coverage. Mine states I have coverage on roads only where permitted by the state. In ohio we use motorcycle plates that say ORV but here we can ride on the side of any road (Not State Routes) to get to an area where we have permission to ride or is a public riding area. As I live well out in the country they don't bother us unless you do something stupid. I take the wife and dog or the grandkids for rides all the time and have for years at a safe speed and the Sherrif just waves and says Hi!