1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Michigan Street Legal status

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Richard Davidson, May 2, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Richard Davidson

Richard Davidson RD SXS Nation Insanity

Side X Side(s):

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 XTX

House Bill 5639 would add Section 217i to the Michigan Vehicle Code to require the Secretary of State to issue a vehicle identification number (VIN) and certificate of title to an assembled vehicle under certain circumstances.
    The bill would define assembled vehicle to mean one or more of the following:  A vehicle that is built from new or used materials or parts by a person not recognized as a manufacturer.  A vehicle that has been altered or modified to the extent that it no longer reflects its original manufacturer configuration.  A vehicle that has had its body replaced with a different style of body unit from another vehicle.  A vehicle that has been assembled from a kit.  An off-road vehicle, regardless of whether the original manufacturer's certificate of origin specifies that the vehicle is an off-road vehicle.
    However, assembled vehicle would not include either a military surplus vehicle designated by the federal government as off-road use only or a gray market off-road minitruck.
    Summary of HB

The bill would require the Secretary of State, upon application and payment of proper fees and submission of all documentation required by the Secretary of State, to issue a VIN in the manner provided in Section 230 of the Code and a certificate of title to an assembled vehicle that satisfies all applicable requirements of the Code and that contains the following equipment:  Headlights, including at least one headlight on each side and high- and low-beam headlights.  Front and rear turn signals.  At least one taillight. (If the vehicle had two taillights, both would have to be in working order.)  Registration plate light.  Brake lights.  Horn.  Bright light indicator.  Windshield wipers.
    House Fiscal Agency HB 5639 (proposed H-1 substitute) Page 2 of 2
     Windshield washers.  Brake equipment as required under the Code.  Safety belts. (This would only apply to 1965 and newer model vehicles.)  Safety glass windshield. (The windshield could not be made of plexiglass, would have to be of a sufficient size to protect the driver of the vehicle and passengers, and would have to be made of a transparent material and be free of cracks or obstructions.)  An adjustable outside rearview mirror on the driver's side, except that a truck with a half-ton or more capacity would have to have an outside rearview mirror on each side of the vehicle.  For a passenger vehicle, bumpers that are between 14 and 22 inches above the ground when the vehicle is not in 4-wheel drive.  Tires that have 2/32-inch tread, do not have exposed cord or tread separation, and are approved for use by the United States Department of Transportation.  Exhaust that is in good working order and does not produce excessive noise. (If the original design of the exhaust included a tailpipe and resonator, the exhaust would have to include a tailpipe and resonator.)  Differential gear.
    The bill would take effect 90 days after being enacted.
    Proposed MCL 257.217i
    FISCAL IMPACT:
    The bill would result in limited increased costs to the Department of State. Section 230 of the Michigan Vehicle Code currently requires the Secretary of State to provide a VIN to a vehicle whose manufacturer’s VIN has been altered, removed, or defaced. Section 806(2) currently provides for a $10 fee for special identifying number applications. The department reports that inspection and administrative costs of issuing a VIN far exceed the $10 application fee. (A proposed change not enacted in House Bill 4630 (H-2) of 2013 would have increased the VIN application fee from $10 to $100 to cover the costs of providing the service.) The actual increase in costs to the Department of State from the bill would depend on the number of applicants seeking a VIN for assembled vehicles.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  2. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Moderator

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

I had been hearing a little about it but not checked into anything yet.

3. Richard Davidson

Side X Side(s):

It adds a whole new world for ORV's! Many National Forest areas closed except for licensed vehicle! Many roads in the Lake/Mason Counties have many secondary roads that are great to ride! I've passed several National Park Rangers, I get looked over but have never been stopped. Upper Peninsula has much the same to offer. My biggest expense was for DOT tires, next up would be a safety glass windshield (I have a factory AC glass on mine). As far as the horn (10 dollar special from HF) low cost early Jeep windshield wipers, and a universal washer. All told you should be able to make one street legal for less than 1,000 dollars. Insurance can be a challenge, but GEICO allows the VIN Michigan assigns as a legal title. I did my policy on line without any issues and you can tailor the policy to fit your needs PL/PD, Collusion, comp and so on. I'd do it again! We love to visit small lakeside towns and use our UTV as our sole means of transportation!

Redline5745 and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  4. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Illinois has a bill pending, and it has made it out of the transportation committee that would allow UTV's to use all secondary roads which for the most parts means county, township and city/towns everything but state and federal highways. Have not looked into all the particulars yet.

Richard Davidson likes this.
  5. Richard Davidson

Side X Side(s):

Pretty much what over half of Michigan has. Only requirement is for the UTV to be registered.

6. Redline5745

Redline5745 Rob SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Rzr 1000 xp4

“ Insurance can be a challenge, but GEICO allows the VIN Michigan assigns as a legal title. I did my policy on line without any issues”

The cheapest insurance I found for street legal was 1500.00 a year for street legal. Does your insurance say street legal on the policy ?

7. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Since Michigan just changed their no fault law around a bit (takes effect next summer), I will be curious to see what this does to rates for vehicles like ours when we make them street legal. They will offer different levels of medical coverage which may save quite a bit of money (as opposed to the unlimited benefit which is forced and charged to all drivers in the state). I'm not saying unlimited coverage would be a bad idea considering how bad an on road accident could be in a SXS, but at least it gives people options.
    As of now, the biggest hurdle as I understand it, is the requirement of a parking brake that is independent of the main braking system. They seem to be enforcing that strongly at the required inspection from what I hear.

8. Brian A

Brian A Brian SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2016 Wildcat X Special Edition

And after all of the money and hassle private property owners still do not have to allow them on property,license plate or not.I'm happy staying on the trails and county roads.