1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

More tire talk, and questions

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by cw_mi, Aug 1, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. cw_mi

cw_mi chuck SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 Polaris XP1K 2 seater

I have a 2016 XP1K, and am researching my next tire purchase, and ride in MI. I ride the Northern lower. Our trails here are made up of a lot of different things but what I find the majority of is sand. And I mean deep fine, silty , sand, almost dune like. For instance over the weekend, in St. Helen, I saw a quad running paddles. That is how sandy we are here. And my clutching set up is more closer to a duner than trail riding.
    So , that being said, what is a tire that will excel in those conditions ? I currently run the factory Bighorns and they perform well but at high speeds (50 and up) they tend to catch the ruts in the sand and you get thrown from side to side. Will a more square profile tire , be better ? Would it ride up or float more on top of the sand ? I will be running the OEM wheels, fronts in the rear so I can have the same size all around. Weight is the key factor, and nothing more than a 30"

Arisun Aftershocks are at the top of my list, followed by the GBC Mongrel and ITP Ultracross R spec.

Any other suggestions ?

2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Mid-Size

You should check out the Pro Armor crawlers (XG/ XR). The are billed as a rock crawler, but they have a nice lug pattern. I have read a lot of really good reviews outside of the "intended" rock crawling for all terrain types. @Curt has a set of the XR's and he has raved about them for trail riding. The XG is at the very top of my list when I get my new machine here shortly.

3. cw_mi

Side X Side(s):

That is a definitely a good looking tire, although I remember reading on a review that the tended to wander and follow ruts even more so than the Bighorn. A problem I'm trying to get away with.

4. Curt

Curt Administrator

As Carl mentioned I’m a huge fan of the Crawlers, and most of our riding is on the same trails you run. We run St Helens, Houghton Lake, Frederick, Leota, and the U.P., as well as out of state trips. I’ve personally never had an issue with the ruts, but I didn’t have a big issue with them when I ran Bighorns either. I do think the Crawlers are a lot better tire than the Bighorns. They run really smooth, but have great grip on the trails and in the mud. I will say they can push a bit on muddy fast corners but most UTV tires do. I’m running the 32x10x15 XRs
    84A304ED-8FB7-4C95-ADE0-62BE233D5E7D.jpeg B2FB2582-A12F-4F73-B7F4-8833CA849055.jpeg 2C4184D8-C594-4250-BA2A-3FFE42D75916.jpeg

cw_mi likes this.
  5. cw_mi

Side X Side(s):

The rut thing isn't really a huge issue, and it might be something that never can be overcome, it is just something that would be nice to not have. Generally all it takes is slowing a little and it's fine.

I wonder if the better question would be, what is the best sand tire that isn't a paddle ? I to noticed, like you did, that most of the tire reviews for the popular ones (Tensor) focus on rock, and dirt. Maybe it isn't a big deal and most tires will perform the same in the silt ?

Those tires you run have a very similar looing pattern to the BFG desert racing tire, but I bet they are lighter.

6. cw_mi

Side X Side(s):

Spent a good portion of the morning reading reviews on the GBC Terra Master.... I'm sold. Those will be what I'm getting for sure. And I believe they will end up slightly lighter on the rears than the factory Bighorns.