1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Mounted up the Kenda Bear Claw HTR 587s

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by DieselFume, Mar 24, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

I had a little time this afternoon, so I decided to go ahead and mount up the HTRs.

The first one I changed I lined up against the old Dirt Commander 27s that were half worn out, and the HTR sat about 1 inch higher. Granted this was with about 30 psi in the tire. ( I like to leave them at bead seat pressure for about 30 minutes to help get the full size out of the tire.

After changing them all and mounting them up, I figured from everything I've seen so far, that I'd keep about the same ground clearance. After measuring I actually lost about 3/4 of an inch when I deflated the HTRs down to 12 psi

When I checked the fender clearance behind the front wheel at full turn, I had about 1/2 inch, maybe less. When testing hitting some bumps at full turn there was no interference from the front tires at all. Which made me feel good, and also bad, thinking I could have maybe squeezed that 27 inch tire in there after all:rolleyes:...

So on the ground and rolling I took it out on the muddy pasture where we are experiencing some heavy snow melt and have lots of standing water as well and some running water. Most places I had no issues running in 2wd even in frame deep water.

The one time I did need the 4wd was when going up a very steep hill that's gumbo clay (very slick) where I got half way up, and needed all 4 to pull to the top.

Out on the hard pack road, The ride was very smooth. No noise or vibration from the tires.....Whatsoever. Also no vibration or bounce at 50 mph. Tires are true and well balanced.

As far as ride, I'd say that I didn't lose any, but I also didn't gain any over my 27" Dirt Commanders. Granted the DC's have an extra inch of cushion, but are also bias ply construction and generally are known for not riding quite as well as radials. This is one area I was a little surprised the Kenda's didn't do better. The flat radial surface of the tire showed up in the better handling on the hard pack as well in comparison the the bias ply.

These tires were pretty much exactly as promised by other reviews and Kenda's own info in terms of size and build/performance.

Again, I'm a little bummed I didn't get the 27s, because I think they most likely would have fit, but there's also that chance they wouldn't have, and then I'd have a problem on my hands.

I just picked up a Coats 4040SA tire changer from a local guy that didn't use it anymore, and I have to say I've never been so happy to not change/break beads on tires anymore. I had all 4 of these dismounted, changed, and re-mounted in about 45 minutes, even with the in-experience on the new machine...

The tires have a lighter load rating, but the rating is also at 7psi which is more of an ATV tire pressure and not one that I plan on running these tires at. So far from what I've seen they need about 12 . I have to believe that the higher air pressure should give them a better weight rating.?

Will report back as time goes on, but I think these tires will be a good payoff in terms of reliability, traction, ride, and cost. 20180324_8.JPG 20180324_13.JPG 20180324_17.JPG 20180324_20.JPG 20180324_31.JPG

Attached Files:

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  2. Mustplumb

Mustplumb Sonny SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Yamaha Viking

They fill the fenderwell. Apparently work well and look awesome.

DieselFume likes this.
  3. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

They look great. I think those are a good choice for your use. I will be curious how they wear for you compared to others.
    Ps... the tire changer is a nice addition!

DieselFume likes this.
  4. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Nice looking tire for some better traction in muddy conditions! and proper tools always makes the job nicer

DieselFume likes this.
  5. rocksalot

rocksalot James SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

I was out in the garage yesterday goofing off and decided to measure my 27 Bear Claws again after more than a year of low mileage use.
    The 9's measure 27 1/2 and the 11's measure 27 7/8 at 8 psi. I use two framing squares lined up to make this measurement so it is accurate.
    The ride will get smoother as you put some miles on them. I have interchanged mine with 9 x 26 BigHorns at times on my Ranger and they ride close to the same after they loosen up.

6. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

How much air pressure do you run in them James?

I've got 12 in them now, the fronts are a little squatty, the rears look fine. Thinking of putting in some more, but it might negatively effect the ride a bit.

Can tell you guys we just got about 3 inches of snow this morning, and they do real well in it.!

7. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Been contemplating the tire changer for awhile, this one came along at the right price, so I jumped on it. I can get 14pl trailer tires for about $130 each through Greenball (dealer) shipped (vs $230 at my local tire shop) and that will pay for the tire changer the first time I put tires on my tandem dualed flatbed (any day now).

It worked great for the ranger tires.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  8. rocksalot

rocksalot James SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

I usually run 8-9 all around on my 900 but I mainly use it for trail riding lightly loaded. Just low enough to get a slight bulge and get the tread fairly flat on the ground. If I was using it to haul heavy I would run around what Polaris recommends on the sticker which is 10 front and 12 rear for mine.
    Radials usually have a bulge in the sidewall at the correct pressure.

9. Curt

Curt Administrator

Those are some beefy tires!

10. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Beef is my business!:cool:

Curt and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  11. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

12. Curt

Curt Administrator

Well, I've been keeping you in business for a long time.......

DieselFume likes this.
  13. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

I appreciate it!