1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Mule pro under seat storage part 2

Discussion in 'Mule Nation' started by jmarco89, Jul 25, 2016.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. jmarco89

jmarco89 Justin SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2016 Mule ProFX EPS Black

The first was the trash can on the drivers side. Good amount of storage but it's open to dust and moisture to get in. In the center is a huge hole which Kawasaki and pro armor make storage compartments for. The issue is they want $300 for them. So I decided to make my own. Very simple. Took about an hour and best of all I'm in the project about $50.

I had a old 26? Inch Milwaukee tool box laying around and it actually fits perfect under the seat. It has a removable tray and the lid is sealed with a gasket to keep everything out. Very well built

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the center section I am staring with. It has 2 frame rails running from front to back which I will be mounting my frame to

[​IMG]

I took some 1x1 1/8th inch aluminum angle and cut it to fit on top of the frame rails. I had to notch 2 corners of the aluminum on the passenger side to fit around the fuel tank. Used 1.5 inch #12 self tappers to secure it to the frame

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After those were secure I put in 2 cross braces to keep everything in place and give the aluminum frame some extra strength. The entire frame sits about 2 inches above the coolant hoses and driveline so I won't have any interference

[​IMG]

Here is the Milwaukee box inserted into the frame. The bottom of the seat is about an 1/8th inch away from the top of the box. So everything fits perfectly. For $50 and about an hour of time I now have a dry storage box for whatever I may need to store. Between the trash can and the Milwaukee tool box I now have plenty of storage for straps tools and whatever else I may need

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wgarcar1

wgarcar1 ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2018 polaris ranger 900 XP

and you can change it to a tackle box if you fish!

3. Conquistador73

Conquistador73 Team SXS Nation

Does the box just sit in there or did you attach it some how?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. jmarco89

Side X Side(s):

It just sets in the frame. The top of the box is about an 1/8th inch away from the bottom of the seat so it doesn't move or bounce around at all. If I need to I can throw a bungee cord on it and it will be good to go

Conquistador73 likes this.
  5. wgarcar1

Side X Side(s):

if i seat on it, the top of the tool box will cave in or brake!

6. jmarco89

Side X Side(s):

One of my best friends is 6'4" and about 375. He rides with me 90% of the time. He has sat on it a few times so far with zero issues. So I think it should be okay haha

7. wgarcar1

Side X Side(s):

my ranger is doing doughnuts to the left if i don't take somebody for the ride.

jmarco89 likes this.
  8. Richard Davidson

Richard Davidson RD SXS Nation Insanity

Side X Side(s):

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 XTX

Great project! Thanks for posting!

9. jmarco89

Side X Side(s):

Thanks. Simple and cheap. Way better than the $300 Kawasaki and pro armor want for their box

10. wixthedog

wixthedog Mike SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Intimidator 750 Crew

Good stuff! I enjoy making things myself as well, not a fan of paying silly niche market pricing when I do not need to.

I have a similar wasted area and would love to do something similar out of aluminum plate but the seat is not exactly easy to take off, it slides in the back and has to posts that jam into rubber grommets in the front. Sometimes it feels like a two man job! I really wish the seats on mine hinged up like some other models...

Fswan likes this.
  11. jmarco89

Side X Side(s):

Mine is either a 2 man job or you have to walk around to the other side. I have the same pin and grommet setup it sounds like. A hinged seat is definitely on my to do list as well

Fswan likes this.
  12. aerozoche

aerozoche Aero SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2020 Mule Pro FXT LE

I did something similar with a Plano Box (Google Plano #171900 Storage Trunk, 68 Qt, Medium). I had a friend cut me an 11" x 31" piece of 1/8" aluminum sheeting, which I was able to slide this between the the boxtube frame and the brace (borrowed jmarco89's picture). I had to flex it a little to get it in, but it's long enough it can't slide either way far enough to fall out. I need to find a way to keep it from rattling, because it isn't held in place with any hardware. Then I just set the Plano Trunk on top of it. Unfortunately, this required using a hacksaw to trim of some of the end handles and latches on the Plano box, but it fits. About $40 between the box and the aluminum.

I like the aluminum sheet as it should shield the box from heat from the coolant lines... On the down side, it does block some access to this area more than the aluminum stock jmarco89 used. I like the milwaukee toolbox...I can see it being useful to be able to lift in and out easily. I may have to get one of those also. The Plano box probably has more space but is more snug and I will probably just lift the lid to access the box.

upload_2020-7-26_11-7-12.png

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020