1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

New 50" Maverick

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seastacker, Sep 24, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Mid-Size

Looks like Can Am has entered the 50" market with this new machine. Interesting addition to the Can-Am line up!

Maverick Trail | Can-Am

Snip20170924_1.png Snip20170924_2.png Snip20170924_3.png

2. Garverb35

Garverb35 Blake SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2013 can am maverick xrs 1000r

I see the reason and the possible market for this to be a great seller, but at the same time i can see where it will not make it. At least in the state of Michigan I have not seen when DNR are cracking down on the 50" rule. There are many machine on the market setup much better that will handle the trails with far more comfort. (50" does not offer a ton a stability if the machine ever leaves the flat trails)
    I would have to say price is going to be the main advantage to boost sales in the market versus a 60"- 64" model with more suspension travel.

What do y'all think?

3. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

There are many states like Ohio that still enforce the 50" wide rule even though we have very few ride areas. By having the machine come in at 50" you can operate it on strictly ATV trails where most side x sides require OHV trails. With the current move toward bigger and faster machines, cant say how the future looks, but if you stuck in a state the enforces the 50" rules that machine will be a nice opponent to the RZR by Polaris.

4. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, 3 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All doomed for hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

I believe here in the Black Hills of SD, they have 50 inch trails as well as some wider trails. But, I think the trend here honestly is towards 50" trails.

As Ken said, with more powerful machines being the norm, hard to say if the narrow track machines have a purpose in the future.

5. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Seth Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

I ride a lot of 50" trails in Michigan with my 50" Pioneer. Many times I can't make it to the end because I'm too wide to get between the trees on the bermed turns. This is in northern MI though. The 50" trails may be wider in lower MI.

Honda is selling the crap out of their 50" and if Can Am can keep the price down they will be a competitor.

6. mrsrzr570

mrsrzr570 Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

rzr 570, rzr 800, Ace 570

I"d like to take one for a test drive in the true 50 inch Michigan trail conditions. There's only 4 Michigan 50 inch trail systems that are to spec within the guide lines of the DNR Leota, Red Bridge, Bummers Roost, and Black Lake. I'd like to test drive one on these 4 systems.
    I read the reviews that Brian Fisher did and those trails are nothing like what we have here including on some whoops just to see how the supsion holds up.

Piston Honda likes this.
  7. Piston Honda

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

I just went on another big group ride and was reminded what I dislike the most about the 50" machines. The ruts in the turns are greater than 50". I try to get my outside wheels on the berm of the turn to keep the outside wheels higher, but many times my inside wheels are riding in between the ruts and end up being the high side. It's a little unnerving taking a turn like that.

8. Curt

Curt Administrator

I'm seeing a bigger ride in your future................:D

Seastacker likes this.
  9. Piston Honda

Side X Side(s):

Honda Pioneer 500

I'm seeing the same thing. I heard a rumor that an 850 R Spec is on the horizon. o_O

Curt likes this.
  10. steven yongsma

steven yongsma steven SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

can-am maverick Kubota RTV900

Living in the northeast I have a 60" Maverick and that has its limitations on 4wheeler trails and in high speed cornering .When I look at the new Maverick Trail it doesn't look tippy I saw a Honda not sure what model that looked like it was going to tip over just sitting there

Garverb35 likes this.