1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

New Day Same Question

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Triggamane, Jul 11, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Triggamane

Triggamane Trigg SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris Ranger Crew XP 1000

Hello All! First time poster and new member here. A little background I have ridden harleys for most of my young adult life as well as dirt bikes and atvs as a kid. The wife and I are expecting our first child here in a couple months and I have come to the realization that it is in the best interests of the family to let the Harley riding go for not only safety reasons but its also a tad selfish to leave my family behind and go ride around. I live in a small rural town in Minnesota where people drive golf carts and UTVs like cars and also have friends with rangers. I am either going to be trading in my Harley our out right selling it and getting a UTV. I want something to hold me,wife kid and the family golden retriever. Most of our day to day riding with be around town and through ditches and gravel roads to our friends and families houses along with the occasional trail excursions up north and possibly Wisconsin area. I have a budget of around 20K. My top choices right now are the Honda 1000-5, Polaris Ranger 1000 crew, Can am Defender Crew. I would opt for the General or the Commander but I like the idea of a bench seat as I don't see my dog sitting in a seat by itself as she would rather sit close. Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated. i look forward to joining the great off road community!!

2. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Moderator

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Welcome to the Nation Trigg !

best advise I could give you is to drive all that you stated you were looking at. Most of the time you can make your mind up real fast with a ride. Also talk to those that have them. I had a Ranger and really liked it sold it for the reason you like it the bench seat after a 100 mile ride you felt the bench seat I went to the General for the bucket seats and the wife and myself have not been sorry about it one second! My pit doesn't seem to mind the bucket seats!

3. Triggamane

Side X Side(s):

Thank you for the input Ronnie. The General seems like a sort of best of both worlds since its a pretty sporty utility unit. I may have to show the wife and see what she thinks. Anyone on here have or have ridden the Honda 1000-5?

4. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

You’ve got a good budget and some good options for sure. I have never driven the Honda yet, but they look real nice. I have a general and love it. I’m my opinion it’s very sporty and super comfortable. The Honda probably has a little more utility to it. I think at least sitting in there or best case, driving them and you will thin the choices real fast. Let us know what you land on!

5. Triggamane

Side X Side(s):

Thanks for the reply Seastacker! I actually just went through your build thread and watched a couple of your videos on youtube, Great work! A couple of things that to mention is at least to start out I wont be able to do very many if any mods. I feel at least with the wife whatever we leave with from the dealership is what I will have for awhile before I can swing mods. I already have a MTX soundbar that I will be switcing over from my harley. Its IP66 and made for the bike so i think with the right care it will last long enough on whichever UTV I pick. One of the main things I would want is a roof, winch and a windshield. I like the idea of the Can Ams coming with the roof and winch stock on the lower trim models. My main attraction to the Honda is honestly the size of the unit. I know the backseats are not anything to write home about but I like how the Pioneer isn't 13ft long. I will be purchasing a nice shed to store the UTV in and the length of the ranger crews, generals, defenders are really whats holding me back. Per my small town ordinance you can only have a shed max 200 sqft without pouring a concrete slab. This shed will also need to hold push mower, Bicycles, baby equipment etc. My first idea was a 12 x 16 shed and to have an area for the UTV to pull in and out but then I looked at the dimensons of some of these rigs and holy buckets they are long! I supposed I could do a 10x20 and pull one of these big boys in the long way.

6. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Yep, some things that new folks dont realize is...it is not the cost of the UTV itself, it is all the extras that are needed to go with it. Garages, trailers, plows,and everything else adds up quickly! In 2015 my machine started at 7500 but after all the accessories, plow blades, winches, winter enclosure, enclosed trailer etc I am over 15K ....long way from where I started! Looking forward to see what you end up with.

Rockin Ronnie and Seastacker like this.
  7. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

It really is one of the deeper rabbit holes to fall in...

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  8. kscfire

kscfire Paul Event Coordinator

Side X Side(s):

2017 Polaris General Ride Command Edition

Welcome to the Nation, Trigg. I'll echo what the others have already said, sit in them, drive them if possible. I'm a General person, but not everyone is and that's fine. Something to think about to is where you live, Minnesota . If you want to ride or use it to plow in the winter, you'll want to have a heater and enclose the cab somehow, either a soft or hard cab system, windshield, etc. Polaris and aftermarket companies have good options for the Ranger and General. I hate to spend your money, but they can be useful tools around the house, year round. Good luck with your choice.

Seastacker likes this.
  9. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

Welcome to SxS Nation and congrats on soon to be a father.
    Trigg you may want to take a look at the Kawasaki Mule PRO FXT. Bench seats, seat 6 and can be converted to a 3 seater in a minute, three year warranty, very quite and well under you budget. Down side top speed 46 MPH. Hope this helps. RM

10. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

One of the things to consider is maintenance. Check with others about how hard it is to get maintenance and think about who is going to be doing it. Some UTVs are a real pia when it comes to changing oil or adding accessories like lights.

11. Railroad Man

Railroad Man Monte SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2018 CF Moto 800EX

Saw the part about ex Harley man and had to add, I as well gave up 2 for 4 wheels, and dont mean to copy a post ( other nations) I have found its WAY more fun to be out in the woods and on trails on 4 with other "fools" - no one take offense to that please- than to be out on the highway on 2 watching out for morons. 27500 on that Victory cruiser and brand new to the side by side world but 3 rides and 250 miles in and my wife and I are hooked...a CF Moto 800 EX is our new ride, and other than a few silly things like the cover for, and the oil filler cap itself, are hard to get to, its been a great machine. You might miss that HD, but not as much as you think youre going to !!

Seastacker likes this.
  12. Triggamane

Side X Side(s):

Thank you everyone for the input. Its really appreciated. Quick update is I ordered up a Amish built shed this weekend. I got a 10x20 shed with 8x8 doors and tall enough to fit which ever unit I choose. Now that I have the storage out of the way I can now focus on the task at hand. After watching countless videos and thinking to myself I have narrowed my choice to the Ranger Crew 1000 and the Honda 1000-5. I have a hard time with the bucket seats. While I know they would be better for a long trail ride, the day to day cruising around I have a hard time believing my golden will sit in a seat and stay. I know i know its just a dog. Another thing that comes to mind is the reliability. Reading comments on youtube and on forums its seams the Polaris rigs tend to have a few issues especially in the belt department. I know a contributing factor in this is the simple fact of the sheer numbers in units Polaris sells compared to its competition.

13. Triggamane

Side X Side(s):

Bit of an update. I was offered a 2019 Polaris General 4 Ride Command edition for a little over 21k. What are yalls thoughts on this? Brand new unit.

14. Rockin Ronnie

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

I love my General ! I ride mine a little harder then most I think ( I'm a fast rider ) and I have not had one single problem.

15. Triggamane

Side X Side(s):

I really like the idea of a general. Now it comes down to specifics. Trade in value wasnt there on the harley so either i need to sell it privately or make some more payments to get the numbers closer together. Wish I could afford them both but with a baby due soon I can only have one.

16. Rockin Ronnie

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

I was in the same boat when I got my General had a Ranger and they would only give a little over half what I thought it was worth. couldn't have both So put it up for sale myself took about a month but got 3000 less then I paid for it. Had it just shy of 3 years I had put a roof and windshield on it but thought I got a great price for it, and then got a deluxe instead of the premium I was going to buy. Mainly because wife liked the color of the deluxe who was I to argue! got the better shocks and other options the premium didn't have.

17. Triggamane

Side X Side(s):

Smart wife you got! What does everyone think of the 2020 Polaris models? To be honest I'm a little let down. I thought they would be coming with a little more especially with Can Am putting on the heat for the 2020 model year.

18. Rockin Ronnie

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

I would have thought the same thing! no high lifter or any other offering. With the popularity of the ranger and its cab system with ac you would thought they would offer one with full cab and ac and heat but nothing! Only real change I see to me is not that important and that's the Rockford Fosgate system to the deluxe.

19. Triggamane

Side X Side(s):

I am also torn on the color choice. I really like the 19' colors of white and the ride command of black and copper. I may have to get my S#*t together and get one of the 19' General Ride Commands while they last.

20. Triggamane

Side X Side(s):

I also went to a dealership yesterday and sat in a few units for about 45 minutes. The dealership was closed so I wasn’t pressured by anyone. I sat in the can am defender max variants, Polaris ranger crews as well as a standard Polaris general (they didn’t have a general 4 in stock) if I was going to choose between the defenders and rangers based on just sitting in them I would lean towards the can am. Little things like the middle seat folding down for a arm rest and cup holders was nice and just the interior in general I felt was a little better. The Polaris general to be honest I kind of felt like I was in a race car. I think the only reason I got that feeling was because I’ve really only ever sat in a ranger or gator in my side by side life. Even with that feeling I am still absolutely in favor of a general 4.

Seastacker likes this.