1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

New guy with questions

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by JimFromTN, Mar 8, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. JimFromTN

JimFromTN Jim SXS Nation Rookie

Ok so I just joined here because I am shopping for a used side by side. It will be for working around my property. My price range is around $5000. I know that is kind of low for a side by side but thats what I have. Hoping to have one in the next 2 weeks. I have been watching craigslist and there is a dealer that sells used utvs not too far away. Once I have one, I will definitely be watching this site allot more and asking allot more question. I know everyone has their favorite brand. At this point, I don't. Here are some basic questions that I hope will help me narrow my list.

1. Not to offend anyone but I have been predominately looking at Rangers, Mules, and Rhinos. They are the known brands that I have found in my price range. I have also looked at Gators some. I know there are allot of other good brands but since allot of them are relatively new, they have not crept into my price range. Are their others I should consider for what I intend to use it for in my price range? I am afraid of some of these no name off brand Chinese side by sides sold in places like Tractor Supply. I know with allot of things manufactured in China, you are buying the same thing, just pained a different color with a different label on it.

2. Artic cat is a big name but are they any good? I have heard some good things about their snow machines but they scare me a little because I have seen allot of their quads with allot of issues.

3. I have to have 4 wheel drive and a good winch. I have some bottom land that is like driving in 3 inches of goose poop. Not going to sink to the axles but extremely slick. I am old fashioned and would like to stick with something that you manually put in 4 wheel drive but I came across a Ranger where it engages the front wheels when it senses the back wheels slip. This scares me. Is it reliable? Seems like if it does not engage soon enough, I am stuck.

4. What would be the minimum size engine or horse power to get? The 450cc Rhinos, 500cc Rangers, and 400cc Mules just seem too small especially if they are a 4 stroke. I know the Rhinos aren't. I am hoping to use this to plant food plots which means I will be pulling things like disc plows.

Anyhow, thanks for any input you can give me.

2. wgarcar1

wgarcar1 ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2016 polaris ranger 570 XP

My answer is: 2015/16 Polaris ranger 570 XP version if you can get one.
    It will NOT engages the front wheels when it senses the back wheels slip, you control the 1x4 (turf mode), 2x4 posi and the 4x4 after stopping.
    The torque on this little engine is amazing!!! (The little engine that could)
    With the right tires, your in business.
    2016 Polaris RANGER XP 570 Sage Green | Polaris RANGER

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kscfire likes this.
  3. JimFromTN

Unfortunately, I cant afford anything like that at least in my area.

The used atv dealership in my area has the following
    2005 Polaris Ranger 700 with 175 hrs for $5495 - Really out of my price range unless I can talk him down $500
    2004 Polaris Ranger 6x6 with 174 hrs for $4295 - Are these any good?
    2013 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 $5999 - Out of my price range
    2016 Polaris Ranger 570 $6500 - Out of my price range

How do the polaris 500, 570, and 700 engines compare?

4. wgarcar1

Side X Side(s):

The 570 is the strongest.
    Also remember that the prices for accessories are sky high these days.
    believe it or not it will be worth it for you to get some kind of warranty unless you are a mechanic, not that the members here can't help on ANY problems you have.
    Buying an older (2013) 570 or a 900 with 1500-2000 miles or 200 hours is not bad, these are reliable engines.
    I recommend to wait a little bit, up until some show up even 150 miles away, try after spring maybe.
    I know that it's a lot to ask and it's not my money but every dime that you put in the machine after the purchase, count.
    I had to learn the hard way.
    Good luck [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

5. wgarcar1

Side X Side(s):

Found one [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Moderator

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Welcome to the Nation Jim!

I would agree I would wait. Either save a few more dollars or make a deal but I think Ii would get a Ranger at least a 570!

wgarcar1 likes this.
  7. JimFromTN

I had seen that add and went to the website. That is the only vehicle listed that doesnt look wrecked or ragged out. I have been reluctant to look into it further. Its like a junk yard where nothing is covered or taken care of. They are about a 15 minute drive from the other place I have been looking at which only buys vehicles in good condition with no fading or rips, clean them up and keep them under a roof.

8. wgarcar1

Side X Side(s):

All I'm trying to say is that it is worth it to wait for a 570 mid or full size.
    Something has to come up, they made them 2013-2018.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  9. KeithStone76

KeithStone76 Corey SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Yamaha Wolverine X2

Check out Kymco. They are NOT Chinese junk. Quality machines. The sxs right now are the 450 and 700. They used to make a 500.

DieselFume likes this.
  10. GaryL

GaryL Gary Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900 Crew

I prefer the Polaris Rangers myself. I have owned several over the years and have been very happy with them on my farm. There are definitely some good deals to be had if you are patient. Putting yourself in a two week window will greatly increase the odds you will not get what you really want. Keep watching for units and you will find something that will work for you.

11. Curt

Curt Administrator

All Polaris Ranger models utilize the same all wheel drive system, they have a switch with one wheel drive, two rear wheels, or automatic 4 wheel drive. The automatic happens so quick you won’t know it happened.
    I’d look closer at that 700 with 175 hours. That’s low hours and probably didn’t have much use.
    The 6x6 is a tank and will work hard for you.
    Either of them are older and you can expect age related issues. Plastic and rubber tend to degrad and crack as they get older. That includes seals, wires, and tires. Even those older models have enough electronics that they can be a pain at times. If you can wait and save it’s better. If not I’d start with the two I mentioned above.

DieselFume likes this.
  12. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

Timing is everything right now. Tax time is coming as folks get their tax return they may trade in a good machine for a newer model.

13. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Hi Jim, welcome to the Nation!

I understand you're on a budget, but I think you've got some good options there.

Out of the three engines you mentioned, they ALL have a stellar reputation. Out of all of them, I'd say the 500 probably has the highest reputation for being bulletproof, but the 570 is on pace to leapfrog over it. The 700s also were real good engines. I wouldn't be afraid of any of them.

But, understand, the machines are old. if you pay $4000 for a machine, you're going to get some of the problems that older machines have. As far as I'm aware, all of the polaris AWD systems have changed very little over time, and it is a proven design. Doesn't mean you still may not have issues with CV's propshafts, front diff, rear diff, ect ect.

The 05/06 rangers had the fan relay inside the ecm, which could and many did fail. Which would cause the loss of the fan, and overheat the machine. A new ECM was the only fix. They didn't change that problem till 07.

07-09 700s were some of the better ones they put out in that series.

The 6x6 will for sure get some work done, but also consider you've got more tires, axles, propshafts to keep tabs on, and fix if they break.

As far as your power concerns go, if you're running in swampy areas, or pulling disc plows, then you will for sure be running in low gear (if you don't you'll have CVT problems) which in low there's is plenty of power even with the smaller CC'd engines.

As others said, you might want to consider a Kymco, they seem to have a good following here, but I'd check into what type of service/parts are available in your area before I pulled the trigger. One thing about SxS's, you'll most likely put money into them sooner or later, and you want one with enough name recognition that you can get parts for it a few years down the road. Because they WILL break, Especially if you're going to work them.

I know alot of people talk about how reliable the old Kawasaki Mules were, but you also give up alot of ride comfort and speed.. The yamaha Rhino I know was held in high regard, but not sure how many are available out there, and how they would handle pulling a disc plow.

Quaddin4real and KeithStone76 like this.
  14. JimFromTN

Thanks for all of the responses. I am weighing all my options. I am wanting to get something soon so I can get work done before it gets hot. We don't have spring in TN. It just goes from winter to summer and right now the only work I can do is with the tools that I can carry in by hand.

15. GaryL

GaryL Gary Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900 Crew

One thing that you will notice Jim is that working with a Ranger makes it a whole lot more fun too. I use mine for just about everything on the farm.

Curt likes this.