1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

New Member, Looking to buy

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Lastmohecken, Nov 2, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken Nevada SXS Nation Rookie

Hello Everyone,
    I am a new member and I am looking to by a UTV for the farm/hunting. I have been lurking on here for a little while. I do not yet own a side by side. I have driven and ridden in a few but that's about it. I have owned a couple of different ATV's (four wheelers) for many years, and still use a 1995 Yamaha 400 Kodiak I bought new, so I have been running it for 23 yrs, and it's still going strong, but I can see the utility of moving up to a UTV.

However, I don't know what to get. Still trying to figure it out and also decide how much to spend. I am approaching retirement and want to buy only once, I don't want to be working on it much, either. I must admit I am not that attentive to maintenance, so I want one that can can haul a load, run hard, and put up wet, till the next time I need it. I must admit my old Kodiak has been pretty bullet proof, with very minimal repairs needed over the years, mostly tires and a few batteries.

So that is what I am hoping to find in a good UTV.

2. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Welcome to the site Lastmohecken !

All make a rather nice machine now days. some better then others but lets be honest none like tanks like they were just a few years back. A lot of plastic like most cars and lighter (thinner) metal and such. I would look at several and ride them as far as a do it all I would def. put the Polaris General on the short list will work hard all day long and then play hard after the work is done!

3. Curt

Curt Administrator

Well, that’s a tough question. The current crop of UTVs are more sophisticated and more comfortable than they ever have been. They are almost mini trucks.
    That being said, there’s several good choices, and the best thing you can do is sit in and drive as many as possible. I think the most bullet prooof UTV out there is the Kawasaki Teryx. Part of that is because it doesn’t have a high horsepower engine to beat itself up. It’s a nice machine and works well. I love my General but its a fairly sporty machine with a dump box and has enough horsepower to break itself if pushed hard.
    The Can Am Defender, Can Am Commander, Polaris Ranger, Honda Pioneer 1000 or Yamaha Wolverine all would be good choices also. I’m sure I’m missing a few models.