1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

New rider - breaking in

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Gerbil Bones, May 17, 2020.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Gerbil Bones

Gerbil Bones Lance SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2019 RZR 570 EPS

Hello, just got my first sxs. 2019 Polaris RZR 570 EPS. Will be using for dirt roads, wooded trails and taking it easy on sand dunes.

Wanted some opinions on how I'm breaking it in. It had 2.5 miles on it already from the dealership.

First day, took it out for 9 miles on dirt roads going between 20 and 40 MPH in high. Never slamming the pedal. Second day same thing but for 30 miles, lots of stopping for cross roads.

What else should I do? Been following the manual best I can. Do I need to run it in low gear some? Is 30-40 mph considered high speed?

2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Look at your tach....stay away from high rpm runs for a few hundred miles. I changed my oil at 100 miles then again at 300 miles. Switched to full synthetic at 500 miles and let her rip after that. As with any 4 stroke engine extreme high rpm for long periods of time will shorten engine life considerably. I have another brand utv and even know wont hold continous high rpm runs for long periods of time. Mine is rated at 7500 max rpm but wont run over 55-6000 for any length of time.

Gerbil Bones likes this.
  3. Gerbil Bones

Side X Side(s):

2019 RZR 570 EPS

Thanks Airshot. What is considered a high rpm for the 570?

4. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

Welcome from So. Indiana. R M

r

5. rocksalot

rocksalot James Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

Actually it sounds like you are doing great. You need to vary the rpm which is hard not to do with a cvt unless you run wide open or are on flat land. Lots of starts and stops are good.
    Your RZR will probably run between 55-60 so 40 mph shouldn't be too hard on it.
    Yes, I would run it in low and AWD for a while to make sure everything is working right. Good excuse to check out some of those trails.
    Also, if you haven't checked the fluid levels you need to do that. Transmission, engine, front differential and coolant. Sometimes the dealers don't check them.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  6. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

Go over it with a fine tooth comb and tighten every screw and bolt and get a pack of thumb rivits. and HAVE FUN.

7. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Your manual should tell you the max rpm and normally the tach will be marked in red for being over max rpm. I use my tach more than the speedometer itself to control my speed , especially during breakin. As mentioned do a thorough check of all fluid levels as many dealers do not do a thorough job.

8. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Moderator

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Welcome to the Nation Lance!

9. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I know a lot of people wont like or agree with my stance on this, but I don't do much break in. About the most I do is give the belt a few heat cycles (As I do with any new belt) and it was on. For me this is about the time the paint has burnt off the exhaust and it stops smelling funny with stuff burning off.
    I do use a little common sense and wont hold it to the floor for extended periods (which I seldom do anyway), but I pretty much ride them like I'm gonna ride them right off the bat. I do follow the break in service interval that Polaris recommends which is all fluids after 25 operating hours. After that its just normal riding for me.

rocksalot likes this.
  10. Gerbil Bones

Side X Side(s):

2019 RZR 570 EPS

Thanks everyone

rocksalot likes this.