1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Newbe to SXS and Offroad

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by sunnsnow, Dec 29, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. sunnsnow

sunnsnow Jerry SXS Nation Rookie

Hi All. Not totally new to riding, but might as well be, only been out a couple times on a buddy's really old dune buggy but it was fun as hell. I want to get something for my wife and I to mess around on while my buddy's hot shot it on their bikes on trails in socal and a SXS looks perfect. I have no idea where to even start because i have no idea what a good value is and what is too much. Not going to be extreme offroading but want something capable enough to keep some sort of distance behind my friends and is worth the money.

I'm not exactly hindered by cost but I dont want to splurge. Will 12k used be a good target price? Unless a friend can maybe point me to a deal on something, I figure I can at least start looking at what's good and not good. What brands or motors should I look at etc...

Can you guys point me in the right direction? Perhaps a good start on this website?

2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Look at everything and anything to get a basis on what you want. As you look, touch, feel and ride, you will start narrowing your choices. If you only look at one model you will never know what you might have missed. As you begin to narrow your choices then start to ask questions about your choices. You have got alot a shopping to do !!!

Rhoda Mule likes this.
  3. sunnsnow

Shopping for these things look fun! Been to some 4x4 expos and they are everywhere, I guess I'll have to jump in and see what works for the both of us. Def will be casting a wide net, but is it basically honda, Yamaha, Polaris, Kawasaki? Anything I should avoid due to quality?

4. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

Welcome to our family Jerry. I can't add to airshot's advice, only you can tell what is best form your family. Good luck. R M

5. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Welcome! The best advice any new potential owner can get is to go to your local dealers, off road shows and sit in or drive as many as you can. As Ronnie said, this will narrow your choices pretty quick. Also, one thing that gets overlooked is to ensure you have dealer support within a reasonable distance. Parts warranty, maintenance, etc.

6. sunnsnow

Thanks everyone, looks like I have a fun job ahead of me!

Rhoda Mule and Seastacker like this.
  7. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Moderator

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Welcome to the Nation Jerry !

looking and driving all you can to decide the one for you is a lot of fun in it self. A lot is going to come down to what you plan on doing with it nothing but trails, A little work and trails do you want a bed or to haul things or just ride it. not sure about your area but around my parts you could get a nice used SXS ride for 12k just remember to look things over getting from a private party as to not get someone's beat to death problem. and remember we are here to answer questions you mite come up with!

FloridaAl likes this.
  8. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

Another consideration is who will be doing the maintenance shop $$$$$$ or you $$. Who will do the add ons that are bound to happen?

9. sunnsnow

Thanks Rockin Ronnie.

I'm thinking about renting some to start to get a flavor and get a better idea before I plunk money down, but I'm handy enough that I'm comfortable with used and spotting serious issues. Maybe not all but enough to take the gamble. Im thinking this will be more for sport but I'd still like to be able to haul some camping gear or just a cooler. Just off first glance, the Polaris General looks cool, not sure if uts fast enough lol. May want something more along the lines of an RZR, or whatever brand it doesnt really matter to me at this point.

If I have questions I'll be sure to rock back over here!

10. sunnsnow

I've got some pretty mechanically inclined buddies, plus I can turn a wrench up until a certain point. I can avoid the dealer in most cases, but I'm in socal so theres a lot of options but I'll definitely have to look around. Good point thank you.

11. FloridaAl

FloridaAl Alec SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 900XP; (2011 Browning Ranger 800EPS, SOLD; 2005 Ranger 500, SOLD; 2016 Mahindra mPact 750S, SOLD.)

Welcome!
    When I started I simply got in and out of a bunch of different units at various dealers. See how difficult it was for an "mature, chubby, beat-up older guy" to get in and out. Sat for a while in them to see how the comfort was after a half hour. I read the manuals while sitting in them. Learned a bunch. You'll find the right one.
    I've never bought a new unit and now I feel pretty comfortable looking one over. Get an experienced friend to go with you if you are serious about a used unit to give you their thoughts. In my part of the world (Deep South) the time is right to buy. Hunting season is ending and many guys may be selling.
    I've really enjoyed my time in SXSs. Hope you will too.