1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie here... looking for help

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by JCap24, Jul 15, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. JCap24

JCap24 JC SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

None yet

Hi All... Newbie here. I apologize in advance for my ignorance on the topic, but I've been going crazy doing my own research. Looking to buy a UTV for the sole purpose of stalking/hunting. I am a big night hunter (mostly boar) and would like something that I can use to navigate the property (roughly 1000 acres) without spooking the animals too bad. The terrain is mostly dirt and grass with some sand areas. There are a couple of dry creek beds i would have to cross.

I have been looking at the Polaris Ranger EV, but limited availability has me looking at some gas alternatives. Ideally, i could find a gas ATV that is quiet, can seat 4-6, and is reliable. I've seen some ads regarding the prowler pro. Any one have any experience? Is the Ranger EV the best option?

Thanks for your help in advance!!!

2. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Moderator

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Welcome to the Nation JC.

If your wanting quite then the electric is going to be your best option unless you spend extra money on exhaust.

JCap24 likes this.
  3. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

With your needs, I am leaning toward electric as well. I have not heard many of these that I consider "quiet". Even with good mufflers, there is a lot of engine, clutch and transmission noise that comes with them. If there is one you have in mind, go and hear it in person for sure to see if it meets your needs.

PS...love watching those boar hunting videos on you tube. Nasty invasive species in your parts.

JCap24 likes this.
  4. JCap24

JCap24 JC SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

None yet

Thanks guys. That's what I was thinking as well. Anyone have any insight on the Polaris EV vs the Textron EV?

5. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Yes, I see one major problem...no plug to recharge out in the woods! Limited travel distance and a few years down the road when it comes time to replace those batteries...ouch...they are not cheap! Look at electric cars that are 3-4 years old and new batteries are 4-6 thousand dollars, no one wants them then, very poor resale. Somethings to consider....

Jungleman likes this.
  6. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

JC You might want to take a look and drive a Mule Pro FXT before you buy. I come upon a lot of game in mine and they are as surprised as I am. I know for a fact that Kawasaki is used on game ranches in TX to move hunters. RM

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Seastacker likes this.
  7. CIAMissionary1

CIAMissionary1 Richard SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 Yamaha Viking 3 seater.

I would say can am defender or Polaris ranger. I love my Yamaha Viking. Just really gutless compared to the rest of the utility pack.