1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie looking for purchase advise

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by IRGU4U, Nov 10, 2020.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

1. IRGU4U

IRGU4U BRAD SXS Nation Rookie

Wife and I are looking to enter SXS market. Our criteria:
    1. looking to ride trails in Ohio and contiguous states; got hooked renting at Hatfield McCoy trails in WV; we are older, don't plan on abusing the equipment;
    2. Want 2 seats not 4;
    3. I am not a mechanic, so reliability is primo;
    4. We are very tall, so size matters, but not so wide that we can't pass others we meet on trails (72" too wide)
    5. My motorcycle shop sells Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha
    6. My very trusted and capable mechanic only hates dealing with one brand/model, and that has been the Honda Talon. Hates the reliability of the transmission and hates Honda's customer service / lack of standing behind bad product design; he recommends KRX and Polaris
    7. Wifey likes gadgets, like cameras, stereo and Nav, but to me it seems like an easy break on equip to be used on trails and mud/wet;

Can you tell me what to avoid or look for? I searched forum, but info looked dated (2018/2019)

Advice appreciated, especially if you work on these things...

2. 89sandman

89sandman Biff SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Yxz, Rzr

Well if reliability is the top of your list Polaris is out. I'd look at the Krx, new Wolverine or Yxz. The Krx and the 19+Yxz were the top two on my list when I bought a new one a couple of months ago. I didn't want to deal with belts and love being able to shift so I went Yami. The fact that the Yxz has only had one recall since it was first built in 2016 speaks a lot of the quality it has.

3. Chick

Chick Charles SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2019 Yamaha Viking and 2018 Odes Comrade (Major mistake. NEVER BUY ODES)

Ditto on scratch the Polaris off the list. Is you want a sport 2 seater, look at the Yamaha Wolverine. If a utility model more fits your needs, the Yamaha Viking, is it. I am totally sold on Yamaha.

4. FloridaAl

FloridaAl Alec SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 900XP; (2011 Browning Ranger 800EPS, SOLD; 2005 Ranger 500, SOLD; 2016 Mahindra mPact 750S, SOLD.)

I'll offer a different opinion. I'm all in for Polaris Rangers. For the record, I'll be 74 next month, 6' and 280 lbs. Use it, along with my adult son, for work, play and hunting. We ride the trails in the Ocala National Forest in Florida, roam the woods near the Okeefeenoke Swamp in Georgia and work on our land in Georgia.
    By simply following the prescribed maintenance schedule, (or have your trusted mechanic do so,) we don't have issues with Polaris. Yes, I carry an extra belt but I've never had to use it. I simply change the belt every year at maintenance time, keeping the old one as my spare, assuming it looks OK. I use Polaris brand products like drive fluids and oil.
    It's a comfortable ride to me, plenty of room for two and coolers, etc.
    Based on the folks I've spoken to with Polaris complaints, they beat the stew out of a machine, defer maintenance and ignore issues, then get annoyed when the machine turns out not to be eternally bullet-proof.
    Just my observation. I'm happy with Polaris.
    Enjoy the ride, Newby!
    Florida Al

5. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

What did you rent? and did you like it? You got over the biggest hurdle, finding a good dealer or at least a trusted one. Comfort and room there is only one choice, gadgets are getting better but I agree on more stuff to screw up, when it comes to addons again only one choice. Research shows Polaris to have more issues(they all have them BTW) but it's mainly numbers, number of units on the market and HP, Polaris has an abundance of both. I could go on and on but bottom line, get one your comfortable in, keep the driveline stock do the maintenance and regardless of what brand you'll get along fine.

6. Mudder

Mudder David SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Pioneer 400, Polaris Ace 570

Look at a Honda Pioneer 1000, 2 seater, been out for many years vs the new Talon. I have a Pioneer 500 for property chores and riding, but it needs better suspension for comfort. But it is very dependable, unlike my Polaris 570 ACE. My SxS choices are limited due to local 50 inch trail restrictions. Check out owner you tube videos and multiple dedicated brand SxS forums (no offense to this one). If looking at Hondas try HondaSxS.com for good info.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  7. North Fork

North Fork Ron SXS Nation Rookie

I personally like Can Am products but havent had the xr3x I have been contemplating. like the 72" wide for comfort and stability . Any cons?

8. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

I have found wide machines are limired to fewer trails, you mentioned Ohio.....most trails in Ohio are restricted to 50" or less machine width. Even other states have limited trails to ride when you are going to a 72" wide or wider machine. As an Ohio resident and having rode in surronding states, I would not go over 60" in width until states get there trail systems wider and that seems to be moving at a veey slow pace. Unless you ride at high speeds and kinda crazy the extra width will not be noticible. My machine is only 56" wide and I have never had an issue with being to narrow, but have had issues with it being to wide!!