1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Odes experience

Discussion in 'Odes Nation' started by Chick, Mar 12, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Chick

Chick Charles SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2018 Odes Comrade

What has been your experience with Odes. Mike Smith or the Comrade?

2. Chick

Side X Side(s):

2018 Odes Comrade

Is there no one that has any experience with Odes?

3. Curt

Curt Administrator

There’s quite a few odes guys here, not sure why they aren’t responding.

4. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

5. Odes EH

Odes EH Ray SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2015 Odes Dominator 800 2x

I am enjoying mine.
    Don't know much about sxs in general, so no area for comparison.

Am I concerned about my machine if something goes wrong or need a part?
    From what I have seen yes, as there are not many dealers available for instant parts. Any place I speak to asking about Odes parts the standard type of answer is "oh it's that Chinese thing" & "we don't carry any parts".

Found a guy that sells Odes new and does have access for parts (got my snow blade, oil filters from him) but he is over 2 hours away, so again, if I need something will have to schedule a time to pick it up or pay a bit for delivery. Either way can't go to a local ATV / UTV dealer for help.

I found my unit used at a great price for a 800cc machine with very little mileage. Price I paid was near the same for a used name brand ATV.
    I am handy and like to fix things myself, so perhaps getting the Odes was good for me.
    Looking forward to spring to play more. Snow clearing duty is over for my Odes.

Oldguy and DieselFume like this.
  6. robmic67

robmic67 Robert SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2018 Odes Dominator X2 1000

Mine has been great so far. I love mine. Sadly, I travel a lot so only get to use it a couple times a month but when I do its hard and lots of miles.

DieselFume likes this.
  7. Oldguy

Oldguy Randy SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Odes Dominator X LT

Got mine as a 2017 hold over. Put a Denali 72" plow on it for snow. Am slowly finding out some parts interchange. Can-Am c.v. boots, taking mine in for the 50 hr service, going to be brain picking as to what else does. No real problems, c.v. boot, but that's common. The dealer I bought from closed so , the. Closest place is over w hours away as well. Sorry about the slow response, were working a lot of o.t. and I don't spend much time online then.

8. jweese1

jweese1 Jack SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

2015 Odes 800x Dominator

Bought mine used. After I got it home, the trans. wouldn't shift into reverse or park. The guy I bought it from told me it was the linkage and it needed adjusted. Wrong, took it to a dealer, he told me the trans. was bad, $1800 to put in a new one. I took it home and ran it around in low and high to places I didn't need reverse. I went out to the garage one day and was going to ride, when I got in the shifter was in park. Imagine my amazement. My grandson was the last one that drove it. I quizzed him and he told me it just went in to park. He didn't know that it had never been in park as long as I had it. What happened? I have no idea but it has been working fine ever since. Other than that, I really like the machine.

9. mattj

mattj Matt SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2013 Odes Dominator

I've only had my late 2013 dominator for a few months. I have found a few concerning things. The crank case vent was inadequate, wiring harness secured to frame with metal hose clamps. Other than that I am extremely pleased with the thing. I just inspected the CVT belt. Its got a cvtech secondary and cvtech belt. Ready for some summer riding!

10. mattj

mattj Matt SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2013 Odes Dominator

Oh, and most Rhino parts are very close to 1st gen dominator chassis parts. Anything running a Rotax 800 twin (Can-Am Commander) will have parts for a dominator motor. Just research your specific part and 9 times out of 10 you can find it on either a Rhino or Commander. That's why they call these thing Chinos!

Oldguy likes this.
  11. Chick

Side X Side(s):

2018 Odes Comrade

Well, let me tell you my experience. I bought a new Odes Comrade. All was fine for about the first 10 hours, then I noticed it was popping back through the intake. Took it to the dealer twice for that. Then, it left me in the woods, I had to call someone to come get me. Took it to the dealer. He found that the battery ground, was attached against a plastic battery box, and was reliant to the bolt to go to the frame. The mechanic moved it to another location. I went back to the woods. It was still popping back through the intake. After I was through hunting, a week later, I carried it back to the dealer and told him no hurry, but when I picked it up, I wanted it fixed. A month later, he called and said he had done all he could do. He said the factory could offer no help, and that there was not any way to go into the computer and adjust the fuel mixture. He had changed the fuel pump, injector, the electronics and tried several heat ranges of spark plugs. He called to other dealerships, and in the end, they told him, that engine just did that, and there was nothing that could be done with that. I picked it up and emailed Odes, telling them what was going on, and I wanted my money back. Mike Smith first, tried to tell me that I had voided the warranty by changing my own oil. He finally said he would send a factory mechanic, with a fully stocked truck, tools and instruments, to repair the unit. 10 days later, a man showed up in an old car with a back pack of tools and a cardboard box full of parts. He worked on it several hours, and said it was fixed. They told me he had put the 3rd fuel pump and injector on it, replaced the electronic brain again, put a new key switch in it, and changed the spark plug. When I got there, it was worst than it had ever been. I would start and die., start and die, and on the third time, it would stay running. It did this every time it had set up for several hours. Oncfe it was running, it was pooping back through the intake, plus, it was now back firing through the muffler. I began to demand my money back or I was going to file lemon law. This unit also had headlights that would not adjust right, It pulled to the right, plus, it was delivered to me with almost 30 psi air in the back right hand tire. I did not notice the tire, until it was extremely worn, I was told it was ready to go, when I picked it up. Who would have thought they had not checked the tire air pressure. Odes would not replace the tire, and I had to pay for it. Odes would do nothing about the front end pulling so bad, and the mechanic could not adjust it out of it. It took a lot it?of emails and arguing, but Mike Smith finally agreed to refund the invoice amount, and my dealer had already said he would refund every cent I had spent. Well, Mike Smith drug his feet, made excuses, but finally did send the money to the dealer, who gave it to me. BUT, the dealer then reneged on his statement to refund every penny I had spent. He would not refund even 1 cent of the mark up. First he claimed that he thought Odes was going to refund it, then, he explained that Odes had not paid for 1 minute of the labor, that his mechanic had put into it. I told him that was between him and the dealer, but no consumer anywhere, was every expected to pay for warranty repairs. I tried to negotiate with the man, but he would not budge. Monday, if he has not contacted me with something, I am filing in Small Claims Court. There is not one competent business man out there, who would expect the manufacturer to refund the dealer markup. That does not even make good nonsense.

Does anyone ant to buy a rear factory tire, for the Comrade, with about 2 miles on it?

I do not recommend Odes or Mike Smith, to anyone. And, apparently, the dealers are just as unrelieble

12. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Unfortunately I had heard many similiar stories before I decided on what machine to buy. There quality has improved a little but help from the factory is still the same.

13. Chick

Side X Side(s):

2018 Odes Comrade

According to the mechanic at the dealer (he is very good and experienced mechanic), he can't get any information from the factory. And, he said on the Polaris, and other UTVs, you can go into the computer and adjust the fuel ratio, but on Odes, you can't adjust anything. Mike Smith claimed it could be done at the factory level, but dealers can't do it. WHAT? You are telling me that you are not providing service information to the dealers??? And, yes, that is exactly what the mechanic said, no information. The salesman from Odes, that talked me into buying one, told me on the phone, while I was hauling the dead Comrade to the dealer, to have the mechanic call him when I got there with it, and he would have the service manager there go over it with him. The mechanic laughed. He said, "I'll call, but they will not answer." He was right, 15 minutes after the the Odes Salesman said the call, no one answered.

14. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

I have to ask because I know nothing of these machines, but are they Chinese built?

15. Chick

Side X Side(s):

2018 Odes Comrade

Well, they state that they are partially assembled at their plant in Asia. I assume that is China. Part of the problem is they use a generic fuel injection system, Delphi, which cannot be adjusted. THE Comrade is a Yamaha Rhino copycat. One big thing, in my mind, wrong with this unit, is the bed is totally plastic, with a tail gate latch, like a pickup truck. I had a problem with the latch holding, because it appears that the sides of the bed is warping, and spreading out. The is not a latch on either side of the tailgate, similar to the Viking or Ranger.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  16. Chick

Side X Side(s):

2018 Odes Comrade

The dealer told me that they are real good about sending warranty parts, but, they never answer the phone, they offer almost no support for repair information, and the dealer told me, that they will not reimburse him for the labor they put into my Comrade (which was many hours), trying to make the engine run right.

17. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

With that kind of support why buy one? The money you might save on the initial buy will be spent many times over. Do your homework before you buy!

18. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Chick, This problem you've got with it popping or backfiring up the intake I've been rolling around in my head. It's been my experience on the automotive side that when you see popping up the intake it's usually an issue with the camshaft lobe, cam timing, or ignition timing. Did they replace anything related to the ignition, or cam/valvetrain?

19. robmic67

robmic67 Robert SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2018 Odes Dominator X2 1000

Mine runs good and not failed me. I changed CV because cause factory are garbage but other than that its a beast .

I am keeping the Odes but pick up my new 1000cc machine next week. I will not purchase another Odes again . the management simply does not care about after sale .