1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Oil filter question ?

Discussion in 'Mule Nation' started by Mvm111, Jan 27, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Mvm111

Mvm111 Mark SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2017 mule pro fx le
    Massimo 700 msu

2017 mule pro ..first service...Have read many posts on using wix oil filters.Have had great luck with them and prefer them...my question is many posts say use part # 51365 witch specs metric threads ...however even more say to use part # 51394 witch specs sae threads . Have also found 2 charts that list the #51394 sae thread.
    Can somebody help set me straight as I cannot wrap my head around see threads on a Chinese motor....???

2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I used the Ams Oil cross reference since they sell Wix filters. I found the 51394. I did look up a couple other FX Pro models to be sure and this is the one that keeps popping up.

upload_2019-1-28_6-47-4.png

Attached Files:

3. Mvm111

Side X Side(s):

2017 mule pro fx le
    Massimo 700 msu

Thanks ....I slso found more posts on that # just the specs say it has a sae thread did not want to cross thread anything. Another concern is will kawasaki void warranty because it is 1st service and not there filter ???
    Mark

4. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

They may give you a hard time, but under the Moss Magnusun act, they need to prove the non OEM part caused any failure. It would be highly unlikely for a high quality oil filter like a WIX to be the root cause of some sort of engine failure. I have a brand new General and I plan to use Ams Oil lube and filter. I will do that without loosing one wink of sleep. I just make sure what ever I am using meets the proper requirements and certifications and move on.

DieselFume likes this.
  5. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

I hope you let us know how this turns out. At one time Wix an NAPA were the same filter, NAPA being made by Wix. In Spring 2015 when I purchased my Mule Pro FXT I was told by NAPA there was not a cross to the Cherry filter. Because the company I managed was a large account with Wix and NAPA, this info came from high up the latter from NAPA. I was concerned enough that I have not ran anything but the Cherry filter. RM

DieselFume and Seastacker like this.
  6. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

That's interesting information. Hard to think that Wix would not have a cross for that engine, especially since it's the same engine Used in the 825i JD gators. Been around a long time!

Just looked up the Kawi Mule FXT on amsoil's site, no listing for a filter there. But, when I looked it up under the JD gator 825, they give a wix filter reccomendation of 51394.

I'm not saying this will fite the Kawi Mule FX/FXT, but It would be interesting to try and see if it spins on freely or not. Don't know if or why the filter housings would be different (with the same engine ) between sxs mfg's.

AMSOIL Products for the 2013 John Deere Gator 825i (800)

Edit- I was looking under the wrong model year of Kawi Mule FX before, but the 2017 lists the Wix 51394 as well. For me, I'd say it's not likely that Amsoil is posting goofy/incorrect information, espeically when they recommend the same filter for both the Deere and the Kawi. I'd buy the 51394 WIX either from Napa (NAPA Gold is the same as the wix), or online, and when you do your next oil change make sure it threads on correctly and tightens up securely (make sure the threads aren't jumping). If it does that, I wouldn't lose a minutes sleep about it.

AMSOIL Products for the 2017 Kawasaki Mule Pro-FX (820)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Rhoda Mule and Seastacker like this.
  7. Rhoda Mule

Side X Side(s):

This is good enough for me, I will be running the NAPA cross. R M

8. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

When you try one out you'll have to report back and let us know how it worked!
    @Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule likes this.
  9. Rhoda Mule

Side X Side(s):

It will be awhile, got filters in inventory. R M

DieselFume likes this.
  10. Mvm111

Side X Side(s):

2017 mule pro fx le
    Massimo 700 msu

Did first oil change today using the Napa gold 1394.... or wix 51394 does in fact fit the chery motor on the mule pro. No problems with thread pitch.
    2017 model 19.2 hrs.
    Also for those interested the terex air filter is much better fit and discussed in another post with pics the terex filter is much better construction and has way better seal (eliminates plastic paper filter holder with cheap foam ring on end that collapses when paper gets dirty).
    Thanks Mark

Rhoda Mule, DieselFume and Seastacker like this.
  11. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Great to hear. Thanks for the follow up!

12. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Thanks for the confirmation Mark!

Would be interesting to see some pictures of the difference between the stock filter and the Terex filter. So you're saying there's no dimensional differences ? Just quality of the element/sealing ring?

13. Mvm111

Side X Side(s):

2017 mule pro fx le
    Massimo 700 msu

The terex filter is much larger more surface area by far. It is a unifilter part #
    Nu2394st it replaces paper filter AND the plastic element that holds the paper filter. You can tell the fit/ seal.. is far superior when you install ! Also the unifilter can be re used and cleaned. Well spent $26 bucks.
    Also for those of you who don't like oiled foam . I was messing around and found out the paper element fits inside the unifilter for double protection..

it's tight but a little sand paper on the plastic ends of the paper filter AND another great seal...
    Hope this helps.
    Mark
    Ps. If memory serves... I got info on terex filter from a Kawasaki dealer on another forum . But don't remember witch one ???
    Sorry. Possibly the Kawasaki forum .

Rhoda Mule likes this.