1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Oil help

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Pede, Jan 4, 2020.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Just a couple quick questions.....it was way to much to search through.

What weight is the PS4? or what should I be running in my 900, wide temp range but rarely run in the winter, lets say 0-100deg.

Would you go with a synthetic media filter or regular? I normally wouldn't even ask and go with normal but the XP happens to be cheaper.

2. Rhoda Mule

Rhoda Mule Gary SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT ESP My first Side X Side was a 551 Sheridan

Hi Pede, When in doubt run what Polaris specs for your Ranger. Yes the oil will be more expensive, filter may also, but not as much as engine repairs. If you must break with Polaris plan to put in a lot of time and research. I have 40+ years building, repairing and maintaining equipment. A lot of that time was spent testing filters, oil and oil sampling from engines and hydraulic equipment. My Mule runs very little OEM lubes. All of what I use is more expensive than OEM. R M

3. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Thanks, Gary. I did find out 5w-50 and going with either Mobile 1 or Rotella. The Polaris kit is convenient but just a bit pricey, it is all I've used since 2013. I can get a wix filter for less then $10, fairly sure they make Polaris anyways, will buy the oil in jugs not quarts, I'm not going to say oil is oil, but stick with a name brand synthetic and theirs not much difference, not going to a custom or generic, been there done that over 45 years of owning heavy equipment, regularity is better then brand. Think I'll stick with Polaris on the front diff but open to suggestions on the trans.

4. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

The Polaris PS4 is a 5 weight 50. Lots of guys are running the Shell Rotella synthetic believe it's t 6? I run only Wix filters because I can get them for around 4 to $6 when I buy them off rockauto.com or in bulk. I run a Wix 51356 filter. I did some checking into the Wix XP filter line and found out you don't want them. They are built for extended oil changes, but to get that they run a more course filtering media which does not filter as well as the standard Wix filter but also does not plug up as fast either. A lose-lose in my opinion, and the filters are more money to boot. I will stick with the standard filter. I am currently running Polaris PS4 motor oil in all my side by sides, but I am getting it at a discounted rate through my repair business and I buy it by the barrel, so I am getting it for a round six and a half dollars a quart. Pretty cheap for a full synthetic

5. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

I know your thoughts on Shell;) but it's been good to me, dam good price on that oil and I do get a discount but don't want to buy a barrel. Thanks for the info on wix, wasn't sure about the XP, we just started buying all filters on-line, most of the guy's around here are using rockauto to get the part # and ordering from Amazon, prime users get free shipping and although I've heard it's gotten better rockauto shipping was expensive and not fast. What you running in the tranny and front diff?

DieselFume likes this.
  6. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Been using the rotella T6 full syn for years with no issues. I can buy it at local Menards or farm and home for 22 bucks a gallon on sale which they have frequently. I currently have 2 gallon on hand and if it goes on sale will grab a couple more. Rotella T6 excells in high heat protection so I use it in all my aircooled summer machines like my lawn mower, roto-tiller, genny on my motorhome and in my UTV even though it is not aircooled, the work I put it thru requires a premium oil.

ANTJ likes this.
  7. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

So Ken, you using the 5w-40?

8. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Yes....being a full syn oil, weight is not as critical as dino oil needs to be. Full syn does not get real thick like dino oil in the cold and doesnt get water thin in high heat like dino oil, so oil wt. Is not as critical. I use the 5w40 in everything all year long. I have contacted many of the mfgrs of my different pieces of equipment and they have all approved the 5w40 rotella for there stuff for year round use

9. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

I'm not too against Shell Rotella, I just have been going with the Polaris for the price I can get it for. As for the transmission and front differential , I have been using transmission and hydraulic oil j20c spec in the transmissions for about 8 years now, and it had better luck with that then the Polaris oil. I am running TRCs UTF red trans hydraulic oil which has some extra tackifiers in it that make it cling onto to Parts a little better. But I would have no issue running a good quality j20c spec hydraulic oil such as puromax John Deere or other. I would stay away from your bargain brand oils for this.

10. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

Almost forgot, front differential you need to run low viscosity hydraulic oil, which is thinner, or run Polaris demand Drive fluid or the equivalent in Amsoil or something else. They say you need to thinner oil up there to help engagement, so I've stuck with it but in the past I have used standard hydraulic oil and didn't have any engagement issues so I guess it's up to you whether you want to run standard weight hydraulic oil in both compartments. I would think the only time engagement would be an issue is in the very cold temperatures with the standard hydraulic oil

11. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Thanks Adam, I'm just getting tired of dropping A $100 when I do my spring service. I'll probably stick with the DDF since it goes a long way, still on the fence on which motor oil, j20c for the trans. We use j20c in everything on the farm get it at farm and fleet so I guess it would be considered generic, just not sure it's any worse or better then the JD oil, and by everything....dozers, backhoe,bobcats, tractors, mowers and gators.

DieselFume likes this.
  12. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Most generic products are still made by well known mfgrs, just different labels. I have never heard one bad review from farm and fleet products and I live in farm country!

13. DieselFume

Side X Side(s):

I thought you guys are going to the Harvest King brand hydraulic transmission oil I don't care much for, seems really watery like viscosity. The one year I was running it was the only year in the last 5 where I had hydraulic failures on tractors, so take that for what it's worth I guess. No issues Since switching out to a more reputable Co-op or brand-name oil

14. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

it's not harvest king, I've seen that somewhere maybe Farm King, I've not had any problems with Farm&Fleet oil, I'd put it in the co-op category, it's a reputable generic. We go through a lot of it, boss mows trees with the bobcat and that likes to grab hoses.

DieselFume likes this.