1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Out of Round Tires?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rpr, Oct 1, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. rpr

rpr Rich SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris Ranger 1000 XP

Im not sure I’m posting correctly, is the most recent post here really from back in January?!

In any case, I have a 2018 Ranger XP 1000 and from Day 1 I’ve had what I can only describe as all the symptoms of an out of round tire(s). There’s a cyclic rub/wobble sound and vibration on the unit when driving on dry pavement that changes with speed.

If I jack up the unit both rear tires do have high spots, not terrible but I’m thinking I could have defective tires.

Has anybody else experienced this? Any issues with Polaris OEM tires being defective/ out of round?

2. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

I think this is a good place to post your problem. Anything is possible with OEM tires they are cheap for Polaris to buy in bulk. You should be able to get the dealer to check them or take them to a reputable tire shop and have them spin tested for roundness.

3. rpr

Side X Side(s):

The dealer already confirmed they are out of round but took the position that “no more than usual for these types of tires”.

4. Jaybey

Jaybey Joe SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

2015 Polaris Ranger XP EPS 900

The vehicle is new enough the warrantee should take care of this problem. I think the dealer is just being a puttz, push them a little more.

5. Curt

Curt Administrator

While it’s not uncommon for UTV tires to be out of round the good ones usually are not.

Jungleman likes this.
  6. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Yep, more often than not you'll find an out of round tire in a set of 4. Sometimes 2-

Cheaper ones are more prone to it as Curt mentioned- Also it seems that the more tread/weight the tire has, the more of a tenancy it has to get out of round at high speeds. Don't know if that's actual fact or not, but just something I've witnessed.

Lately I've been fairly impressed with the Quality of the Kenda Bearclaw HTR's. Very smooth for high speed driving, and you can buy a complete set online for around $400 shipped.

Also, Check the inside of your rims for mud, If you have mud buildup, this can cause a nasty vibration I higher speeds that may make think it's the tire.

7. rpr

Side X Side(s):

No mud on the tires. I brought it back to the dealer and have a different mechanic looking at it. He thinks it could be a CV joint, and the symptoms could be consistent with that.

In the interim, what types of symptoms if any do you you think these stock tires would exhibit if they had a 1/4” to 3/8” high spot? Do most of you think this would not be noticeable on dry even pavement, or do you think that could be my issue?

How many of you have jacked up the rear of your vehicles and run the engine in gear to see whether your tires have high spots?

8. Curt

Curt Administrator

1/4” high spot would be very noticeable at high speed.

9. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

A rim with mud on the inside of it, or an out of round/balance tire would be MOST noticable on hard pack or paved roads at high speed. Most likely would never notice it off road.

Most of the ones I've noticed just from sticking my head out the side while driving down the road, you can see the bounce or "loap" in the effected tire if it's on the drivers side, have a passenger look on the otherside and see if they can see anything, or have them drive and you look. Easy to spot an out of round tire that way.

I've seen them bounce up and down, and also wiggle waggle side to side. Either one can make a vibration.

As Curt said 1/4" would be quite noticeable.