1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Paddle or manual shift for first time buyer?

Discussion in 'YXZ Nation' started by Shiftman, Aug 18, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Shiftman

Shiftman Robert SXS Nation Rookie

I am shopping for my first SxS. I used to race MX on Yamaha's and that is the brand that I am most comfortable with. What I need is advice from experienced folks as to whether to go with the paddle shifters as opposed to the manual tranny. I can go new or used, but used may be a better option for a first time buyer. I have found a sweet 2016 in anniversary yellow at a decent price, but it has the manual tranny. Thoughts?

2. rocksalot

rocksalot James Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

I assume when you say manual transmission you must be talking about a YXZ?
    There is a reason they are rare and don't sell well in W KY.
    They don't do well on our tight twisty up and down trails because of not having a low range.
    A Wolverine X2-X4 might be more fun in the long run.
    For a paddle shifter you might consider a Honda.
    JMHO

3. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Any of the manuals can get quite pricey when repairs are in order. Especially the Hondas! CVT tranny belts are so much less expensive and easier to replace.