1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Pellet Grill/ Smoker--Who has one?

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussions' started by Seastacker, Mar 3, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Smoked wings are awesome!!!!

Seastacker likes this.
  2. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

We pulled the trigger on the Rec Tec. Gonna smoke up some pork shoulder this weekend.

Already made a rookie mistake. We were at Costco, so out of convenience I just grabbed one there. Costco usually has good meats (As I'm sure this is as well). What I didn't realize is that it was 16# :eek:. I just figured...these things are big, not realizing what 16# looked like. Further research figured out that there are actually two boneless shoulders in there. From what I have seen, the people who remove the bone appear to use a chain saw and machete or something. SO...I will have to do some extra prep work to get them tied up and ready. Lesson one...get a single bone in shoulder and pay attention to what you are buying, lol. :rolleyes:

B7C71237-EEF9-4A1C-977A-5793D9CA8143.jpeg

Curt and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  3. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Heck with the grill pics we want to see the food pics...where are the ribs and wings??

4. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

I will get one up tomorrow. Gonna do the burn in this afternoon and get some meat on early tomorrow morning.

5. jefflac02

jefflac02 Jeffrey SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2015 Ranger XP900

Be prepared for a few hours of your mouth watering, prior to being able to sample.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curt and Seastacker like this.
  6. airshot

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Give me nice close up so I can lick and smell the screen and let my imagination run wild!

7. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

All tied up with some rub. Gonna throw them on around 6 am. Definitely bone in next time. I’m hoping to enjoy the smell while I work on the Polaris and hopefully get the MBRP exhaust installed. :D

194DB91C-3590-4249-84B4-32F89D0B45D2.jpeg

8. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

About 7 hours in. Holding at 158. Think I may have hit “the stall”. Going to give it a bit longer to see if I’m gonna “crutch” them through.

9. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

11859D2F-5B05-4314-AD7A-81979966AC91.jpeg

Curt likes this.
  10. wgarcar1

wgarcar1 ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2016 polaris ranger 570 XP

What are you doing? This is torture, stop posting these pics, my phone is NOT waterproof, my wife is starting to get suspicious, She asks what's up with all the drooling? And how many more shirts I'm gonna ruin.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Curt, Rockin Ronnie and Seastacker like this.
  11. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

You should smell my back yard right now...:);)

wgarcar1 likes this.
  12. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

About 11 hours later... success. It’s really good. These pellet grills make bbq so easy a moderator can do it, lol.

500ABBD4-0212-4315-8ADD-C9C0BAB886FD.jpeg

Sponge60, Curt and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  13. jefflac02

Side X Side(s):

2015 Ranger XP900

Yummy

Seastacker likes this.
  14. sunnym

sunnym Sonja SXS Nation Rookie

I love my Smokin Brothers!! I’ve had it for 3 years. They have wonderful customer support, too. Quality component

Seastacker likes this.
  15. Curt

Curt Administrator

Dang Carl, that looks good!

Seastacker likes this.
  16. Royalwapiti

Royalwapiti Mike SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2017 Polaris XP 1000

I bought my son a RecTec Mini 300, it's small. When I decided to get one for myself I knew I had to step up to the 540 size or bigger. I decided to go with a Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone, like the one in pics in earlier posts. I love it. I started using a charcoal offset then a masterbuilt electric. This thing is great. The deal breaker for me on the RecTec was the sizes. They went from the 340 size for $600 and jumped to a 700 model for $999. I wanted something in between in sizes. The Daniel Boone fit the bill and was $650.

The wifi is nice, you can adjust temps, etc via your app. I thought it would be great to set some meat in it and then start it from work at say 10am, but it won't do that. On the GMG you cannot turn the grill on via the App. You must turn it on in person (to check it and make sure there is no fire danger or kids messing around it.) But you can start it at 150 and let it cook at that for the morning before turning it up. I am not sure if the RecTec have this safety feature.

If you live in the north and it is cold get the thermal blanket, you'll save money on pellets, supposively. For sure get the wifi. Enjoy!!

Seastacker likes this.
  17. jefflac02

Side X Side(s):

2015 Ranger XP900

You absolutely can start the grill from your phone. It just has to be plugged in and powered on. Under the settings feature on the app there is the WiFi mode option. Then once setup there is a server mode option. Server mode will allow you to control the unit from your phone. Away from your WiFi network.

Have a look at the owners manual under the app section. It’s all in there. Once it’s setup it works marvelously. That’s the whole reason I bought the grill. So I could preheat it before I got home to cook in the evenings.

Hope this helps. The Daniel Boone is an awesome grill.

Seastacker likes this.
  18. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

Yup, you can turn it on and off from your phone as long as its plugged in. I think there is an extra step in there to ensure safety. Don't want to turn it on sitting too close to the house or with the cover on....

The app does work really well except it wont stay running in the background on my phone. Once I go off the app it shuts down and I have to re start it. This is not a big deal, except the alarms that can be set wont go off unless the app is actively running. I think its a glitch in the app since I went thru and confirmed all the settings on my phone. The Rec Tec app is really good, but it does need some minor tweaking. The grill on the other hand is perfect. It works flawlessly. Held 225* for 12 hours +/- a couple degrees all day. Works just fantastic!

Curt likes this.
  19. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

2019 Polaris General 4

This weekends project along side of attempting to do the exhaust system I did not get a chance to do last weekend.

Costco had prime cut full brisket for an ok deal. I picked up a rather large 17 pounder. I will probably have to start this one the night before...

E25B6064-B211-4903-8BF3-FB5505A0A269.jpeg