1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Polaris Pulse Electrical System

Discussion in 'Full Size: 570, 900, 2013-2017' started by Fswan, Oct 23, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Fswan

Fswan Forde Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 RZR 900XP, 2011 Ranger 800XP

I'm pretty excited about the new (2018) Pulse electrical system Polaris has added to their lineup. It is a built in auxiliary system that allows you to add electrical add-ons with a simple plug and play effort. Not much info out on it yet but in addition to getting one Pulse power bar stock under the hood, you can order additional ones for mounting other places like to the inside of the roof. Should simplify the addition of light bars, radios, cubes, etc greatly. I am afraid I still have a bunch of research to do. For the benefit of future readers of this thread, what I am trying to determine is if there are viable options to connect electrical accessories to the Pulse system that do not have the needed plugs on the ends, to the cavities molded into the Pulse power distribution bar -- for instance, an existing light bar (or any other electrical accessory) that only has bare wires, quick disconnects, ring terminals, etc.

Ideally, some vendor, perhaps even Polaris, will offer some sort of pigtail that plugs into the Pulse bar on one end and has either bare wires or some other common connector (quick disconnects?) on the other. If that happens, (and at a reasonable price) the rest of what we write here becomes a mute point! But as of this writing, I don't see any available on the market so we'll attempt to describe what us shade tree electricians would have to do build such a pigtail from the ground up.

The Pulse bar (at the time of this writing) has six pre-wired cavities that will accept a three prong plug. The existing male pins in those cavities are pre-wired with:
    1. a common Negative connection
    2. a common 24/7 Positive connection
    3. a common "Keyed Only," Positive connection (hot only when the dash key is turned to an 'On" position)
    ... so nothing has to be done by the owner to bring power to the Pulse bar. What I don't know yet, is which of the three pins has been assigned which function. A simple task to determine with just a Multimeter or 12v probe but I don't have access (yet) to an '18 Ranger to find out those assignments.

Next on the list will be to determine if there is a standard female plug that will properly mate with the pins in Pulse bar. It "appears" that Polaris has used the standard Metri-Pack configuration (SURLY they didn't go down a proprietary path!). The question is, what plug did they settle on? Delphi, the makers of Metri-Pack components has five different series to choose from. Each series has different width blades ranging from 1.5mm to 8.0mm, each capable of handling different amperages. By measuring the width of one of the pins in Pulse bar, we should be able to determine which series was used (two of the series, the 280 & 480, have the same width blades but the centerline spacing between two pins are different).

Once the proper plug series has been determined, the buggy owner can build a plug to mate with the Pulse bar. The parts needed are:
    1. Female plug housings aka "Towers" (One for each plug needed to be built)
    2. Loose terminal connectors (2 [for no 'keyed Hot'] or 3 for each plug needed to be built - size is dependent on the gauge wire being used)
    3. Cable seals (two or three for each plug needed to be built -- only two needed if the "Keyed Hot" function is not used - size is dependent on the gauge wire being used)
    4. Cavity plug (maximum of one for each plug needed to be built that does not utilize the "Keyed Hot function)
    5. TPA (Terminal Position Assurance) locks to provide for strain relief and wire positioning within the towers, aka Secondary Lock (One per plug being built)
    6. Wire (two or three lengths if building a pig tail, none if using the existing wire on the accessory's harness)
    Won't go into how to put them together - a bunch of You Tubes cover that (Metri-Pack and Weather Pack are put together pretty much the same). I highly recommend getting the special crimpers for them -- you can use the standard crimpers or even needle nose, but if you do, order extra terminal connectors, it won't go well!

Like I said earlier, if a vendor comes out with a premade pig tail, all this is mute!!

Pulse vs Blue Sea
    First of all, the Pulse system is far superior to the Blue Sea (5025, 5026, 5032) fuse blocks as far as environmentals go, much better dirt and moisture control. Blue Sea has the advantage of ease of installation of pre-Pulse accessories and the Blue Sea has the built in fuse slots. On the Pulse system, fuses will have to be in-line. Maybe on Pulse Gen2 (I just made that up!), Polaris might install fuse slots in the bar itself?? Relays will be the same for either. It looks like Polaris is having their partners (Pro Armor, Rigid, etc.) offer the Pulse connectors on the new electrical accessories. If you are buying accessories for a pre '18MY, and you have a choice between a Pulse connector or the old fashion connectors, you may to get the one with the Pulse connector and snip off the connector and put it in the bottom of your sock drawer in case you upgrade to a Pulse-equipped buggy in the future or decide to put a Pulse bar in your current buggy (Polaris part Number 2882904). Looks like the Pulse bar could even be added to older model Polaris's or even to a non-Polaris machine.

All of this is conjecture on my part -- I may end up eating a whole lot of words. Any real electricians or electrical engineers, please chime in and correct me or give your thoughts as well.
    Pulse.JPG

Piston Honda, TG-OK, Dseldoc and 4 others like this.
  2. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, 3 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All doomed for hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

That is a really slick setup Forde!

They really needed something like this for the SXS market because it's one of my pet peeves with sxs's is how messy the wiring can get without the addition of another fuse panel or acc. block somewhere under the hood. I like how this will be a weather sealed connector setup easy to hookup and unhook.

Fswan and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  3. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

Polaris General
    Polaris Ranger

That would be a great upgrade to any of the older machines out there! Will be looking into one for sure.

Fswan likes this.
  4. Ken

Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2013 Ranger XP 900 Sunset Red LE. 2009 Ranger 700 XP Sunset Red

Great write up Forde on the Subject. I may be a future 2018 Ranger owner and want to know all about this too!

Fswan likes this.
  5. rpr

rpr Rich SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2018 Polaris Ranger 1000 XP

Ok, here we go. On my 2018 1000 XP I get 2.8mm blade width and 4.7mm blade separation (edge to edge, not centerline to centerline). That seems to correlate to a Metri-Pack 280 connector almost exactly.

The top blade is ground, the middle blade is 12V switched, and the lower blade is 12V constant.

Hope this helps. Now I need help on my options. Does anyone sell Metri-Pack 280 pig tails? I have never made a Metri-Pack connector.

Seastacker and Fswan like this.
  6. rpr

Side X Side(s):

And if not and I need to buy the components to make the connectors myself, if anyone can recommend a good source for those components I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

7. Fswan

Fswan Forde Moderator

Side X Side(s):

I guess I need to go back and look again! I came up with a Metri Pack 480 and yes, the component parts are nearly impossible to find!
    Plug Delphi Metri Pack pn 12092311 (I did find one source for these... I think!)
    connector 12092310 ("or Equivalent")
    connector seal 12092308 ("or Equivalent")
    cable seal 12092309 ("or Equivalent")
    pull to seat terminal 12092306 ("or Equivalent")

My source for these numbers is dated '1989' so I'm thinking I need to find the "or Equivalent" part numbers!

Rich ( @rpr ),
    Do you have the dimensions (ID) of the length and width of one of the Pulse cavities?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  8. Fswan

Fswan Forde Moderator

Side X Side(s):

@rpr
    ... and one more question; when you pull the fuse on the Pulse bar, does it only kill the 'keyed hot' blade or does it kill the 24/7 hot blade also?

And BTW, it appears that Polaris has changed the price on the 'add on' pulse bars from $40 to $90!

9. rpr

Side X Side(s):

I didn’t measure the dimensions of the cavity. Won’t have a chance to do that until tomorrow.

And you’re right, I think we’re looking at a Metri-Pack 480, NOT 280. My measurements were between the blades, not centerline to centerline. So if you add the width of a blade (2.8mm) to the distance between the blades (4.7mm) then you have 7.5mm centerline to centerline, which is much closer to the spec for the 480. Not a perfect match, but I don’t think my measurements were perfect, tough to get a caliper inside the cavity.

At least we seem to be making some progress. The dealers I’ve spoken to don’t know anything about this new Pulse system yet. One service manager told me there are no special connectors needed, everything still connects up using standard ring terminals. Another dealer had just assembled their first unit and didn’t notice the bus bar was different. I asked him to take a look under the hood and he came back and said wow, don’t know what you can do with those connectors. Polaris of course will provide no info and just refers you back to the dealers.

We’re on our own for the time being but I think we’ve concluded that these are Metri-Pack 480 connectors. Now we just need to find a good source(s).

I’ll check the fuse and cavity dimensions tomorrow and let you all know what I find.

Fswan and Seastacker like this.
  10. Fswan

Fswan Forde Moderator

Side X Side(s):

I placed an order today for some plugs -- hope they are right!!! Still have to determine which connector (female, inside the plug) to order, but since the plugs come with the wire seals, i'll have to monkey around with them to determine what gauge wire they take. I would like to be able use 12ga but unless i can find a different size seal, I may have to go smaller. The seal on this plug is one piece for all three wires, not the individual seals (one per wire) like other plugs use. Are you in Gainesville?

11. rpr

Side X Side(s):

Yes, guess I’ll have to watch some YouTube videos to figure out how to assemble these things.

12. Berniepf

Berniepf Bernie SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Polaris ranger 900xp

I built some for the local dealer. Here is the housing Feature
    It is the 280 series. (or at least it fit the machine I was working on perfectly) You can find all the parts on mouser. Make sure you get the one with this kind of retaining clip, there are at least two different ones and the other one I ordered didn't clip in securely. You wont really need the metripack crimper. An open barrel crimper will work if you are careful.
    The plugs are only good for 30 amps so I went with 16 guage wire.
    Pinout is Top ground, middle switched, bottom constant hot. That's the one on the firewall not sure about how its oriented on the roof.

There will be some assembled with a short pigtail on all three wires on the usual place next week.

Seastacker and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  13. Fswan

Fswan Forde Moderator

Side X Side(s):

I'm hoping the 280 and 480 plug are the same dimensions. The 480 is good up to 40 amps with the right terminals. We'll see shortly!

14. Berniepf

Side X Side(s):

Polaris ranger 900xp

I meant to but never did look at the fuses to see what that bus bar has feeding it. Its got something like a 40 amp right there for the constant hot I think.

15. Berniepf

Side X Side(s):

Polaris ranger 900xp

Ok I found some drawings of the two connectors and while I feel that the 280 is the intended connector (put the Polaris supplied plug nose to nose with the 280 and its an exact match) I think the 480 might work. There are only minor differences in measurements. The nose profile is a bit different but there is lots of room inside the busbar. One is a pdf and one is a tiff I'll try to link them here. The clip on the drawing of the 480 is the wrong style but the rest would be relevant.
    http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/105/dcs_drawing_12092311-1161831.pdf
    http://ecat.delphi.com/docs/default...7245_cus01_s01-tif.tif?Status=Master&sfvrsn=0

16. Fswan

Fswan Forde Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Yeah, that was my other question - is the 40 amp fuse for the 24/7 hot or the keyed hot. Like you, I suspect it's for the 24/7 otherwise, Po would have had to make several changes to Chassis (aux) circuit -- relay, fuse and ECM which wouldn't make much sense!

This is only pic I could find of the Polaris plug (not available yet). Don't know what the heck plug they used!! The ones in the video look more like what we are messing with. Lightbar Harness | Polaris RANGER
    Pulse harness.jpg $80 bucks seems a tad steep!

17. rpr

Side X Side(s):

Switched is still hot with the 40amp fuse pulled on the Pulse bar.

The inside dimensions of the cavity are 12.2mm x 27.4mm, by my measurements.

Sorry for the delay in getting this posted.

18. Berniepf

Side X Side(s):

Polaris ranger 900xp

Here is mine in in the receptacle. IMG_20171118_094608.jpg

Fswan and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  19. Fswan

Fswan Forde Moderator

Side X Side(s):

And the winner is.... Bernie! Dealer got in an '18 so I went there to try the Metri Pack 480. Did not work at all! Looks like the 280 is the ticket.

Berniepf likes this.
  20. rpr

Side X Side(s):

Good to know, thanks guys. So has anyone found a source for Metri-Pack 280 pigtail connectors?