1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Polaris Sport Roof Install on 2014 Ranger Crew 900

Discussion in 'Full Size: 700, 800, 2009-2014 Model Years' started by GaryL, Apr 10, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. GaryL

GaryL Gary Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900 Crew

INITIAL INFORMATION: I installed the Polaris Sport Roof p/n 2879642 on my 2014 Polaris Crew 900. This is the black poly roof.

PACKAGING: The roof kit arrived in undamaged condition and all of the items listed in the kit contents on the instruction sheet
    were included.

INSTALLATION: I started out by reading through the directions. Then I proceeded by laying the two roof halves on my work
    table with the interior side facing up. I started a screw part way on one side of the roof. Then I applied silicone between the halves by lifting the top half slightly. I then started the screw on the opposite side and applied silicone at that location.

roof1.jpg

I then loosely tightened the rest of the screws and then used an Inch Pound driver to snug the screws down to the 12-15 lbs that is recommended in the directions. ( I personally preferred mine at 15 lbs )

roof2.jpg

I next attached the screw clip holders in the three holes near the top of the roof.

roof3.jpg

Next I prepared the areas of the roof detailed in the instructions by wiping them off with a clean cloth and alcohol.

roof4.jpg

The next step was to apply the sealing foam straps to the roof. The back strip is an obvious placement, because it is notched for the rear mounting screws. Lay the others just outside of the grooved ridges and butt them up against the bottom of the rear strip. (Note-the thin end of the strip goes toward the front of the roof).

roof5.jpg

The next step takes a buddy! The two of you must flip the roof over before carrying it over and placing it on top of the Ranger. Slide the roof back until the plastic holders drop through the matching holes in the top of the Crew.

roof6.jpg

Make sure that the descending center hooks go around the cross member in the center of the cab. Then climb into the back of the Crew and pull out and down on the rear of the roof and snap it in place.

roof7.jpg

Now it's time to put the screws into the three screw clips at the front part of the roof. You now need to add
    four screws to the rear fo the roof to secure it.

roof8.jpg

That is all there is to it! You now have a nice looking, light roof to protect you from the sun and rain.

roof9.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Seastacker, Ken, Curt and 2 others like this.
  2. Curt

Curt Administrator

Great writeup Gary, Thanks!

3. Ken

Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2013 Ranger XP 900 Sunset Red LE. 2009 Ranger 700 XP Sunset Red

Good write up Gary

4. Kudidl

Kudidl Rick SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2017 XP1000

Dude. You read the directions? Last time I admitted to that my man card was taken away.
    Haha
    Looks like a great install.

Ken and DieselFume like this.
  5. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Nice job Gary! Finished product looks nice!

Not many people would have taken the time to use a torque wrench on those small screws going into the plastic. which is why almost everyone strips them out. lol

naylor649 likes this.
  6. GaryL

GaryL Gary Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900 Crew

Normally I wouldn't have taken the time to use a torque wrench either. I was trying to do a write up per the instructions and they recommended the torque wrench.

7. Jeff frost

Jeff frost Jeff SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 Polaris Ranger High Lifter

My Sport Roof is not a Crew and it came with no "Foam"? WTH... o_O

8. GaryL

GaryL Gary Moderator

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900 Crew

I am guessing that because the Crew roof is bigger and comes in two pieces that it is harder to seal and that is why they furnished the foam.