1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Possible drive belt failure or worse?

Discussion in 'ODES UTV' started by commadorat, Jul 22, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. commadorat

commadorat Tracy SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2014 Odes Raider

I purchased a 2014 Odes Raider about a month ago. It's my first SxS. I've heard all good things about the
    Can Am engine. I live in a Hot climate where temps often are >100. I've read the threads on the overheating issues with the older model machines. I'm not sure if ours is early or late 2014, but will investigate the fans. Today it happened to me for the first time. I had been watching the temp closely, (do not have a gauge but will look in to remedying that) and it was hanging out at about 4 bars. I hadn't seen it above 3 bars prior to this. We were coming back home, going up a relatively steep hill on asphalt when it indicated an overheat. What was more alarming was that it started bucking and vibrating and making weird noises all at the same instant. I suspect the overheat may have been coincident with a belt or transmission failure? I ran it downhill for a hundred yards to get off the road, and the engine sounded almost like it had suffered a head gasket or valve failure. It was kind of "huffing". I shut it down, and cycled the electric fans a few times until the overheat indication went away. The engine sounds fine when in neutral or Park. It's still clunking and jerking in low, high, or reverse, and the engine still seems to sound weird when moving too. I suspect belt failure, but why the weird engine noise while moving? What is the best source for learning to replace the belt? I found one brief video on you tube. Also, when I bought it, there was no dipstick. All it had was an oil filler cap that didn't seat properly. I downloaded a manual and it showed a dipstick so I ordered one. It was for the Dominator 800, but was supposed to be the same engine. It was too long, so I trimmed it to fit but the o-rings still don't seat right. Any ideas? I seem to find all kinds of info on the Dominator, but not so the Raider. When I look up the Raider, only Dominator info comes up. Anyone know who the best source for Raider specific info is? Thanks in advance...

2. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

I would check the belt before getting to excited a belt will do some strange things!