1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Prowler Diff Lock

Discussion in 'Prowler Nation' started by Travis F, Apr 10, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Travis F

Travis F Travis SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler 1000 XTZ

Folks!!...Was out plowing with the XTZ back in blizzard of Stella...[​IMG] and realized after I beached her in a snow bank that both front wheels weren't turning in diff lock. So this past weekend I gave it a much needed bath and dropped the skid plate in preparation for fluid changes. Upon draining the front diff the color was burnt orange mixed with purple and definitely not the amount recommended. I verified the pin is moving with the actuator, so could the front fluid condition and possible water intrusion but the reason for no diff lock? The prowler now has fresh full synthetic gear oil in both ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Did the new fluid do anything?

Not real up to date on the Prowlers, do they have a driveshaft that runs full time to the front diff and the diff is engaged electronically?

Or is it actuated mechanically or some other way? If the driveshaft runs full time (every time the transmission turns) and you've already verified that the actuator is moving, I think I'd that I'd be looking at the front diff itself as the next suspect. There aren't any lockable hubs out on the wheels are there?

@Richard Davidson

3. Travis F

Side X Side(s):

Nope the front drive shaft is always turning, arctic cat uses a electronic actuator for both front axle engagement and diff lock. No locking hubs just standard utv axles. I am thinking it's either the "c" clips internal that the pin rides on and are notorious for not allowing the diff lock pin to seat or the fluid change did the trick and I just need to verify, didn't have time last weekend to do that.

DieselFume likes this.
  4. Kudidl

Kudidl Rick SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2017 XP1000

Man I don't mind changing fluids and maintenance but I Can't do that snow stuff.
    That's stuffs like below freezing, right?

DieselFume and Travis F like this.
  5. Travis F

Side X Side(s):

Hey we looked many times to move down south but the north east hasn't let us go yet! This year was light only a 20" for us in PA last year was. 30" storm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Richard Davidson

Richard Davidson RD SXS Nation Insanity

Side X Side(s):

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 XTX

I'm guessing the right front axle is the one that is not turning with 4X4 locked? Check and make sure the axle is all the way in. The early year Prowlers used two different axles in the front. One had a gear on the internal CV hub, and the other is plain. I've seen instances where they get swapped side to side resulting in no locked front diff. My right front kept popping out as the clip was weak. I ended up going to late model Prowler ball detent axles and this solved the problem.

Travis F likes this.