1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Ranger 500 Fuel pump fun

Discussion in 'Midsize: 400, 500, 570, 800' started by BeeMurph, Feb 10, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. BeeMurph

BeeMurph BRIAN SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2011 Ranger 500

Hello out there. New to the forum. I've got a 2011 Ranger 500 EFI. Recently it's been dying while idling once in awhile (hot or cold) and occasionally it doesn't want to start. It turns over fine and begins to fire but it takes a lot of cranking and standing on the accelerator to get it going. Again, that doesn't happen too often but it happens. So, I did a bit of googling and decided my fuel pump was going south. Rather than wait until it stranded me out on the property somewhere, I decided to be proactive and replace it now.

I purchased an Airtex E3885 fuel pump. All research tells me this is the correct aftermarket pump. Alternative is to purchase entire fuel pump assy from the dealer for about $470. That's not much of an alternative, ammaright? New pump install went smoothly but after completion, the ranger would not start at all. I can hear the pump run when I turn the key on. I can confirm fuel pressure by disconnecting the fuel line from the rail and spraying fuel around the garage. I checked the plug and it appeared fouled so I replaced it. After new plug was installed, the ranger started. I let it run briefly and shut it off thinking I was in the clear. I put my tools away and hopped on the ranger to cut firewood. Ranger won't start again. Checked new plug. It still looks good and is wet with fuel. I removed fuel pump again to make sure I hadn't somehow damaged it when reinstalling in the tank but it looks fine.

Anyone with similar experiences or an idea of what to do next, I'm all ears!

Piston Honda and DieselFume like this.
  2. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Let me do a little looking, not to familiar with the fuel press spec on the efi 500s.

What did the fuel look like in th tank when you had the pump out? It's amazing g the problems that old gas or water in gas can cause.

Does it have a check engine light?

Also, welcome to The Nation!

One more to add to the One Lung Army!

Piston Honda and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  3. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Mid-Size

My manual is for a 2013 500 EFI, but I would imagine the specs are the same. The manual states 39 PSI +/- 3 PSI. Mine does not have a service port built in. They do offer an adaptor kit, but I would be more likely to just plumb in a schrader valve if the time came I had fuel issues.

DieselFume likes this.
  4. BeeMurph

Side X Side(s):

2011 Ranger 500

DieselFume, good ideas but the fuel tank looked fine. Very clean and no evidence of water. Stale gas isn't really a possibility given how frequently I run fuel through it.

Seastacker, I replied to your DM. Thanks again.

Since my original post, the ranger is running again. All I've done is remove the fuel pump assy a second time and made sure I was still happy with my pump installation. It all still looked good. I reinstalled the pump and then did a simple spark test. Spark was good too. I reinstalled the plug and the ranger fired up. It's run fine since. Not sure I'm out of the woods but at least for now, I'm back in business.

BeeMurph

DieselFume and Seastacker like this.
  5. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

Glad to hear you're rolling again @BeeMurph !

Sometimes things aren't so strait forward with even a fuel pump swap- Sometimes the fuel pump is bad, sometimes (less likely ) the fuel press. regular that's on the fuel pump assy is bad, which you cannot get to my knowledge without buying the whole assy,

I've had pretty darn good luck with Pumps like Quantum Fuel Systems sells- Their pumps are built/sized to each model more specifically I feel. Hopefully replacing your pump will help remedy your problem...

Couple more questions, What kind of gas are you using?

87 octane? 91? Ethanol blend or strait unleaded?

I try and run strait unleaded in my machines as long as I can, just because I feel it's better quality fuel and doesn't absorb water, not to mention it doesn't go bad as quickly, but I find this time of year when it's cold my 570 struggles to start on the 91 octane gas.

If I mix some e-10 85 octane in with it it starts much better. There is more heat in the lower octane fuel and that will aid in starting dramatically.

6. Curt

Curt Administrator

Did you replace the fuel regulator? They can get clogged with debris.

7. BeeMurph

Side X Side(s):

2011 Ranger 500

@DieselFume , hadn't really thought about the fuel type much. It's 87 but I don't know if it has ethanol or not. That's something I'll investigate. Thanks for the input.

@Curt, I thought about replacing the regulator but did not. If my problem persists, that's where I'll head next. Thanks for passing that tip along.

The ranger got a work out yesterday - started fine and ran fine all day. I do smell fuel quite a bit when operating it. I've checked numerous times for a leak and there's no evidence of one. I'm wondering if it's running a little rich after the pump replacement...

8. Curt

Curt Administrator

Id clean your Tbap sensor if your smelling fuel. Also make sure the wires going to it are ok. If they break or the sensor gets dirty it will default to a rich setting.

9. BeeMurph

Side X Side(s):

2011 Ranger 500

Thanks Curt. I'll check out the tbap.

10. BeeMurph

Side X Side(s):

2011 Ranger 500

So another update. Ranger wouldn't start yesterday. I didn't mess with it at the time - resolving to do so today. This morning I checked the TBAP sensor as Curt suggested. Wires were perfect. The sensor itself showed no signs of damage and wasn't really dirty at all. I wiped it off anyway and reinstalled. It started up right away but died. Started again and idled briefly before dying again. Started a third time and idled for an extended period of time though it was missing periodically. Bottom line is the ol' girl is still sick. I purchased a service manual so I'll do some reading and see if it gives me another direction to pursue. In the meantime, any other bright ideas from this group?

11. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

Only thing I can add w/ the wiring is that a lot of the Polaris wiring issues are inside the plastic. You have to look for areas of the wire that show signs of internal damage like thin or pulling of the plastic. The damage may or may not be 100% visible. Also, as Curt suggested, it may be time to check or replace the fuel pressure regulator. The manual should help big time. I much prefer diagnosing issues versus throwing speculative parts at it. That gets expensive real quick !

12. moog63

moog63 B SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Yamaha Viking

For what it's worth {which most likely isn't much} I had a Sportsman that acted much the same way. Finally, again like yours, one day it completely failed. Turned out it was the magneto. I would make sure you got a good hot spark at the plug. Sounds like you are getting fuel.

DieselFume likes this.
  13. BeeMurph

Side X Side(s):

2011 Ranger 500

Thanks for the additional feedback. The Ranger is running - though I still smell fuel - and I've had to turn my attention to other things. Until she keels over again, I probably won't pursue troubleshooting.

Best,
    BeeMurph

14. BeeMurph

Side X Side(s):

2011 Ranger 500

She's officially keeled over. Checked the Tbap wires very thoroughly and no sign of breakage, crimping, crushing etc. I still haven't checked fuel regulator so that's still in play as a possibility though I am getting ample pressure. Having a little trouble thinking that's my issue. I do have spark but now questioning whether it's strong enough. Think I'll look at replacing the magneto as @moog63 suggested. More input is welcomed. Ya'll have been a big help.

15. BeeMurph

Side X Side(s):

2011 Ranger 500

Here's my culprit. Took a chance and replaced for $20. Fired right up. Hopefully that's the end of the story.

BeeMurph IMG_20180421_141624.jpg

Rockin Ronnie and Seastacker like this.
  16. Seastacker

Side X Side(s):

Hope it was really that simple. Keep us posted if this was the long term fix.