1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Ranger GPS

Discussion in 'GPS & Software' started by Mudde, Aug 18, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. rocksalot

rocksalot James SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

I converted my old Galaxy 4 to gps use only. You can download maps from wi-fi. No need tor cell service at all. I use Backcountry Navigator which does great for the way I use it.
    I used an old Ram mount that I had laying around. I cut all the sides off of the gps adapter and made a flat pad and stuck the phone to the pad with velcro.

2. Mudde

Mudde Bill SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2017 Ranger 900 XP

Thanks Rocksalot! Does your system show you where you are on the map? Are you using an external antenna?

Mudde

3. rocksalot

rocksalot James SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

Yes, it looks and works just like any other gps. No external antenna. I guess almost all of the newer smart phones and tablets have a regular gps built into them.

4. Expat

Expat Larry SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2012 Polaris Ranger 800XP

I have used and still run as backup the Garmin Montana. However, I recently switched to the 7" Samsung Tab A and run either Back Country Navigator or, my preferred app, Orux Maps. It WAY better than the Garmin as you can download layers of any online map and trail maps that can be found for free. I general run a trail map for the areas I ride and also add a layer of google street maps and also a topo payer. You can switch the layers off or adjust them with ease. I use a $12 case from Amazon and the Ram X mount on the top of my cab cage. I can see everything so easy now and it is awesome. A new Tab A can be bought directly from Smasung for about $115 and then pay $10-$15 for the app and all you have left is a day or two of you spare time to figure everything out and get setup.....time consuming at first but so very worth it. Here is a link to another forum's thread that has detailed instructions for everything and free maps of all east Tennessee and all of Hatfield McCoy including the outlaw trails. The download also has Taylor park CO maps and Moab to boot.

5. Mudde

Side X Side(s):

2017 Ranger 900 XP

Thanks Expat. Using the Tab A and BCN, can you see where you are on the map?

6. Expat

Expat Larry SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

2012 Polaris Ranger 800XP

Of course you can. It would be kinda pointless without that :).

Here is a screen shot from my Tab with Orux running and the maps I use. This one has BobTs trail maps that are included in the link I gave above along with a Google street and topo layer added. This is from Windrock in east TN. When you are there and the GPS tracking is active a red triangle shows where you are and with tracks turned on it shows shows your track on the trail in another color and also the direction you traveled it by using colored >>>>>>>>> symbols that appear on the map as you go. Like I said it takes time to figure it all out and you keep learning more as you use it, but that is the same for any GPS or app. The time to do it is well spent. The instructions on the link I posted are awesome and a great reference. Once you have it down you will always know exactly where you are, where you have been and see where you want to go.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Piston Honda and Curt like this.
  7. Mudde

Side X Side(s):

2017 Ranger 900 XP

Thanks. I think I am going to use BCN and look for maps of trails in Minnesota.

Thanks again for all the help.