1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for a new Side by side for my needs

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by blabablab, Jun 1, 2018.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. blabablab

blabablab Trevor SXS Nation Rookie

Greetings!
    I am looking into side by sides and I am wanting something that I can use to pull things around my property, but that I can also use to ride the trails. The most important item for me is reliability, I want this to last me at least 15 years of use. With my motorcycle experience I would imagine that would lead me towards a yamaha, or kawasaki brand, but I am looking for recommendations. My budget is about 17,000 max off the lot. I would like something with a lot of get up and go as well, but it doesn't need to be the best of the best.

2. Curt

Curt Administrator

Welcome to the Nation!
    So it really depends on how you will be riding it. My most immediate response is the Kawasaki Teryx. They are very dependable, but not the fastest or the smoothest riding. They are still kind of sporty.
    If you want something with a lot of get up and go I'd say step up to a Polaris General or Can Am Commander. After that its into the pure sports machines.

Jungleman likes this.
  3. blabablab

Thank you, would a kawasaki Teryx still have the "fun" feeling, and enough get up and go to be comparable to the 750 wildcat sport. Also, what kind of reliability could I expect from a polaris? If I upped my maximum to 20k, would there be any better options? Also, do dealers work with you on price like on cars? I am planning on paying cash.

4. Curt

Curt Administrator

Teryx's are definetly fun, just not as sporty as as higher end models. I suspect the 750 Wildcat sport would be sportier, but not as reliable.
    I've always had good luck with my Polaris. Generally speaking, the higher horsepower machines tend to break more, because they have the power to cause damage. Lower horsepower machines like the Teryx tend to be more reliable. I really like my General, its not quite as sporty as an RZR but is still really fun, and has 100 horsepower. Two seat Generals can be had for $16-$20,000 depending on model.

5. Danny Vernon

Danny Vernon Danny SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2014 Teryx t2

I have a teryx and I really enjoy it, it’s comfortable, reliable and has gone wherever I want. For me and my needs, it’s an all around great machine. Just do your homework and decide what will work for you. Good luck and happy riding

6. blabablab

Thanks for the reply's. I am going to go ahead and go for the teryx. I have always like kawasaki products, and I love the "trunk" on the teryx. I think it will come in handy. i don't see myself riding the trails very often, but maybe once a year or so, but a lot of it's use will be around my property. Seems like a good fit.

Seastacker likes this.
  7. Pede

Pede SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

09 700 Ranger

Keep in mind, someone likes a brand because they had one several years ago and it was great to them, or bullet proof or for whatever reason, but that was then and this is now and things just ain't built that way today, everyone has issues of some kind. Now with that said, it's the same reason I bought into Polaris, had a great snowmobile 40years ago, guess that's why they call it brand loyalty.

8. Seastacker

Seastacker Carl Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI Mid-Size

I like the teryx machines. The Kawasaki’s are built real heavy duty for sure. I think a quick test ride would be a good idea just to make sure there are no deal breakers in terms of rider ergonomics, power, ride, noise, etc. It sounds like the teryx is a good match to what you are doing for sure and will be more than capable if you ever do find your way to some trail riding.

9. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

17 Polaris General
    13 Polaris Ranger

Welcome to the Nation Trevor!

If posable drive a few you are thinking about and Don't buy the first one until you drive a few then decide basted on what fits your needs best. A big investment that you only want to make once ;)

Curt likes this.
  10. blabablab

Great idea, I will make sure to ride a few and get the feel for them. The only thing I know I don't like about the kawasaki is the top speed. I have been told it is about 50-54. Not that I will really ever get to that in normal use, but still not the best

Rockin Ronnie likes this.