1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Researching a utv vacation to windrock

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by mazdaparts, Aug 20, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. mazdaparts

mazdaparts Jason SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT

This will be our first camping outing with the mule. I know some of you have been to windrock. What's it like there, trails and campground? We are going to tent camp. Any tips tricks or warning in general?

2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Many of those areas have been hard hit by severe downpours over the last month or so and has washed out a lot of the trails. Not sure of all the areas it affected but you may want to call ahead and see what the trail conditions are.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  3. mazdaparts

Side X Side(s):

Thanks for the info. Any other sites you guys recommend? I'm trying to stay within 350 miles or so of Cape Girardeau, MO.

4. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Team Leader

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Kentucky and Tenn have some good trail systems but as stated many have been affected from the heavy rain storms passing thru that area.
    Ohio where I live has squat our govenor is not interested in making money just taking it from the tax payers. Michigan has some nice trail systems through out the state and especially nice in the UP area. Probably a bit far but one of the best systems east of the Mississippi is the Hatfield McCoy system. Been there twice and can't wait to go back. I am sure others will chime in here with their favorite spots also.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  5. Crystal Hightower

Crystal Hightower SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 RZR XP 1000 EPS Titanium Metallic / Lime Squeeze

Windrock is a great place to ride. 77,000 acres of FUN! There are trails for every skill level, from gravel roads to extreme. Lots of nice overlooks & points of interest (windmills, waterfalls, old reservoir, train, Brushy Mtn Prison, etc). Windrock Park campground is very nice & you can ride the connector trail to the trailhead. Buy a map and/or hook up with someone familiar with the trails if it's your first visit.

6. mazdaparts

Side X Side(s):

We are still leaning towards windrock provided the trails haven't been closed. but this might open up a whole new vacation style for us. I had a rhino that was reliable enough around the house but wouldn't want to depend on it several hundred miles from home. The mule on the other hand, I'd drive it to Alaska if I could legally.

7. ridgehunter70

ridgehunter70 chris SXS Nation Rookie

Royal blue is really nice and not far away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

8. MARTY ELDRED

MARTY ELDRED Marty SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Can am x3rs and rzr1000xp

I will be at Windrock the 2nd full week in October it's one of my favorite parks bump me of you make it their. I'll be at Windrock gap camping

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

9. mazdaparts

Side X Side(s):

Thanks for the info. Plans changed a bit. Wife found us a spot outside of Bluefield WV. Close to the Hatfield -McCoy trails. At the end I guess. Pocohontas trail. We can run Pocohontas, Indian Ridge and Pinnacle Creek all from Buffalo trail campground. Heading out the second week of October. Anyone have experience on these trails or the campground?

10. Curt

Curt Administrator

No experience with that campground but Hatfield McCoy is a great place to ride!

11. MARTY ELDRED

MARTY ELDRED Marty SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

Can am x3rs and rzr1000xp

Cool did that 2 years ago sxs friendly area lots of fun trails close to campground you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk