1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

Rotella 5w40

Discussion in 'Mule Nation' started by Mvm111, Feb 22, 2019.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

1. Mvm111

Mvm111 Mark SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2017 mule pro fx le
    Massimo 700 msu

Seems I read a post about rotella 5w40 full synthetic being used in the mule pro chery gas engine ??? I realize the soot holding property's are greater in the rotella oil. Could this be why ?
    Thanks mvm

2. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Besides being a quality oil with a long reputation it is one of the few full syn oils that do not have the friction modifiers in it. If your machine uses a wet clutch the frition modifiers can cause the clutch to slip....at least that is my main reason for using it.

3. Curt

Curt Administrator

I run rotella in my machines. I’ve never had an issue.

4. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

I have never run Rotella's 5 w - 40, but I have worked on a lot of diesel engines that have run Rotella. For myself, Rotella will never be in oil I use. A lot of guys have very good luck with it, so I don't think you're going to have any trouble with it. But I think there are better choices out there. You also have to understand that any modern diesel engine oil is going to be very deprived of the phosphorus and zinc to meet new diesel emission standards . And in my opinion those are two qualities that high performance engines need.

5. airshot

airshot Ken SXS Nation Expert

Side X Side(s):

Kymco 450i UXV

Not very many of us running diesel engines in our offroad machines, so that doesnt worry us.

6. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, Three 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All subjected to hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

No, I think you misunderstood what I was pointing out there,. Zinc and phosphorus are very much lacking in modern diesel engine oils. Which is what Rotella is. Zinc and phosphorus in high performance engines such as what side by sides use is an important part of your antiwear package. Oils designed for racing engines have higher zinc and phosphorus content, oils designed for modern car/truck engines do not... can you get by with that oil?, yes. Is it the best you can buy to protect your engine? that's debatable imo.