1. Welcome,
    SXSNation is a UTV Community that brings enthusiasts together regardless of brand, a place to find local rides, partake in discussion, buy or sell within a marketplace, or just rant about anything side by sides. Interact directly with top Vendors in the Industry, find exclusive discounts and specials and participate in weekly giveaways! If you haven't registered yet, what are you waiting for?
    Dismiss Notice

RZR vs Wildcat

Discussion in 'General Side X Side Discussions' started by Ieatrocks, Oct 9, 2017.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Ieatrocks

Ieatrocks J SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

none

Hi guys. I went out on a camping trip this past weekend and my buddy had rented a RZR. I have never had that much fun on 4 wheels. I have caught the bug on SXSs and I am ready to swear off conventional wheeling. I have been looking around at some RZRs and WIldcats for sale around my area. I am not partial to either Polaris or Artic Cat. I am hoping you guys can give me some advise or experience with common problems with either brand. I am looking to by used as I am just getting into it so anything from the last 5 years to present really. I am decent with a wrench, I work on my truck and snowmobile all the time. Is either machine easier to work on? In final consideration, most of my terrain will be the trails in the high Rockies of Colorado and some camping trips in Moab.

Thanks guys.

2. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

Polaris General
    Polaris Ranger

Polaris hands down! Only have first hand on 2 friends that had wildcats and both sold them because the worked on them just as much as they drove them. May just have been them 2 they did ride them hard. but have had a couple of Polaris and just ride them.

3. Ieatrocks

Side X Side(s):

none

Thanks for the response Ronnie. Were they just breaking suspension and steering components or were they breaking parts in engine and powertrain?

4. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, 3 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All doomed for hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

While I don't know much specifically about the RZR, or Arctic Cat, I do know quite a little about polaris.

While they do have their own issues, mostly in the quality control area, I would say on average, Polaris parts, price, and availability greatly overshadows most others. At least in the Utility lineup.

If I was considering rock crawling, and was already planning on broken parts, I think I'd price out a few things that you think you might break/damage and then do the same thing for the competition. Also, if you plan on modding, I'd considering pricing that stuff out as well. When you buy a machine you not only have the purchase cost, but also the maintenance/repair costs down the line.... Those add up!

Another consideration would be who you're trailing/riding with. if you run with polaris guys, you might be at an advantage to drive polaris since they are most likely packing polaris parts/knowledge with them as well. Might come in handy deep in on a trail one day. Same goes for The Arctic Cat or Can Am line.

As I said, I don't have any experience much with the other brands except for pricing out some of their parts against polaris stuff, so I hope that someone that knows "Cats" will chime in and throw in their 2 cents!

Best of luck with your choice and welcome to the forum J!

Curt likes this.
  5. Curt

Curt Administrator

Great advice Adam!

6. Curt

Curt Administrator

Great advice Adam!

7. Ieatrocks

Side X Side(s):

none

Thanks Adam. That is some good stuff to consider.

8. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Ron Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

Polaris General
    Polaris Ranger

Mainly axles but also wheel bearings and ball joints and 3 belts in one summer Granted he was not easy on it (but his brother has a 900 rzr s and has not had the issues) thinks he owns part of babbits he bought quite a few parts from them for his wildcat 1000

9. Happy Prospector

Happy Prospector Kevin SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

I'm waiting for the new style 2018 Polaris Ranger Crew model to be introduced.

In our local ATV/SXS club most everyone is running with the Polaris RZR and I think there may be one Wildcat. If you look down at the Model Specific Forums at the bottom of the Forums page you will see 55 Treads and 502 Posts for the RZR and 10 Treads and 74 Posts for the Wildcat. That right there will tell you which machine is more popular.

Good luck on your search. Being as you want to do some camping you may want to look at the Polaris General.

Curt and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  10. Bigtim69

Bigtim69 Tim SXS Nation Rookie

Side X Side(s):

2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X Limited

WOW, Polaris heavy here :rolleyes:. Reminds me of my RC days. If you didn't have HPI or Losi you had crap. I'm very new to the sxs stuff, but just like my RC's.
    I buy what I can afford. The RZR is by far the most popular out there, been doing it for a bit. That is why you have more aftermarket stuff than the other.
    I choose the Wildcat for 2 reasons. #1 the look is waaaaay cooler looking (IMO) and #2 price. Over $3000 less than a RZR, you can buy a bunch of parts for that.
    My advice would be the same, Do your research and get what you think works for you. Don't buy something just because that's what everyone else is buying.

Curt, Seastacker and DieselFume like this.
  11. DieselFume

DieselFume Adam Moderator

Side X Side(s):

2013 XP 800 Ranger, 3 2017 Polaris 570 Full Sizes. All doomed for hard ranch work, long hours and rough conditions. 5 years or bust!

I had no idea they were so much less than a RZR!

Glad to have opinions like yours and others because sometimes some of us polaris guys (like myself) get a little closed in to what's available out there.

Everyone has their own brand and style, and if it was me, I'd probably show up with something different too, just to stand out. ;)

Now if we're talking about going out into the Alaska wilderness where machine reliability and parts interchangeability are bigger factors, that changes everything.

Bigtim69 likes this.
  12. Curt

Curt Administrator

Yeah it's going to be Polaris heavy on any multi brand site just because Polaris sells more SXSs than all the otters combined. That being said I honestly think most of the SXSs are great machines. Anyone in the market should sit in and test drive as many as possible before deciding

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Bigtim69 likes this.
  13. rocksalot

rocksalot James SXS Nation Regular

Side X Side(s):

Ranger 900
    Ace 570

Arctic Cats were really cheap in this area a couple of years ago. Still had a hard time getting rid of them. Now the dealer is gone too.

There is a recall on some of the Wildcats for a fire hazard, I think the smaller ones, so with either the RZR or Wildcat you would need to make sure the recalls get taken care of.

Another one you might consider is a Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec. Good suspension and ride and handling and a bigger bed.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    DieselFume likes this.
  14. offroadohio

offroadohio Donnie Team SXS Nation

Side X Side(s):

2015 Arctic Cat wildcat sport limited

I switched from polaris to wildcat and havent looked back yet. But with that said id buy a wildcat sport. The 1000s had a good many issues. The sport has its share but over all doesnt leave you stranded on the trail often.

I cant count the times i came home on a strap with the various polaris atv and rzr ive had.

As mentiomed currently the sport models have a recall due to the exhuast melting the firewall. They cant sell a new ome that hasnt been fixed as textron wont provide the code to unlock from dealer mode so no worries there. Only other recall is on factory installed warn winches.